Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times

Advertisements

Yep, if you would increase your travel time on a regular basis (for commuting, nightlife, or so on), the extra 2% could easily be money well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,526,963 times
Not just time saved but also stress avoided. Living on the right side of the tunnel is better than a bottomless Valium jar for keeping calm.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,833,268 times
Yes I agree with some of the recent posts and lifestyle is a big factor. If I were single and living in Pittsburgh I would definitely just pay the extra taxes and live in Shadyside. I think if you are married and have a few kids and more expenses that is where you start to question the extra money you are paying for the "privilege" of being in the city. With that being said, I would still live in Shadyside being married with kids because I enjoy living in urban areas and having a walkable neighborhood. However, I know when some look at the bottom line and see that extra money going out for virtually nothing it can really be a tough decision. It would be nice if the tax rates were a little more comparable to the suburbs, but it is what it is and I can understand the motivations of the OP.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,962,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Not just time saved but also stress avoided. Living on the right side of the tunnel is better than a bottomless Valium jar for keeping calm.
I sit in my kitchen, drink coffee and read the news until about 8:40 in the morning and then have a nice stroll down the hill to my office to get there at nine or so. Then I get to hear my co-workers ***** and complain about whatever highway they took to get to work. That alone is worth $2k a year.

More seriously, living in the city means that we only need one car between the two of us. And we use that car so little that I fill up its ten gallon tank less than once a month. The savings in gas, insurance, car payments and maintenance more than makes up for the extra taxes that we pay.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yep, if you would increase your travel time on a regular basis (for commuting, nightlife, or so on), the extra 2% could easily be money well spent.
Then why don't you live in the city? Why do you keep rah, rahing the city, but you don't even live there? If you think it is worth it MOVE THERE!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Then why don't you live in the city? Why do you keep rah, rahing the city, but you don't even live there? If you think it is worth it MOVE THERE!
Are you getting forgetful in your old age? Brian DOES live in the city!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,540,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Perhaps you are getting forgetful in your old age: Brian lives in Wilkinsburg.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Quote:
Nope, he lives in the Wilkinsburg section of Regent Square.

Of course, Brian has been on record as supporting Wilkensburg being annexed by Pittsburgh.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,636,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Nope, he lives in the Wilkinsburg section of Regent Square.
Well, I guess I'm the one who is getting forgetful!

It's really a technicality. I'm sure Brian can stand in his front yard and throw a rock into the city.

I've always considered Wilkinsburg to be the city anyway. It looks and feels like the city.

Most of what we consider Regent Square isn't in either, such as the actual business district.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Perhaps you are getting forgetful in your old age: Brian lives in Wilkinsburg.
At least I'm not the only one getting old!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh