Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 AM

45 posts, read 74,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was talking about the interstates though, not Forbes Ave, Bigelow Blvd, Penn Ave, etc.
I know...wasn't really directed at you, just the concept of 65 mph. I saw an open door to knock poor driving and took it

Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3days3ways View Post
I know...wasn't really directed at you, just the concept of 65 mph. I saw an open door to knock poor driving and took it
I highly respect taking open door opportunities to knock something.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
Speeding is bad anywhere. Rarely will it get someone where they are going any faster, and if it does then it will be only by a few minutes.
That's a false rationalization used by slow drivers to justify their innate passiveness. You should understand that many of us are not naturally passive followers. It's emotionally painful for me to let your submissive driving habits dictate my my arrival time. When I drive I'm on a mission to get from location A to location B... It's infuriating to me that you are hindering my progress... I must compete, I must win, I must complete my mission... That's the difference between your driving and mine... I can not even comprehend your mentality.

Speaking technically though, speeding absolutely will get you there faster... especially in the city. Remember that red light you caught? Well I beat it.. and the next one, and the next one... I reached my goal a good 15 minutes before you...

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I recently had a woman come to a complete stop at a 4 way intersection, put her vehicle in park, put her window down, and started asking pedestrians for directions, all while I was in back of her, wanting to be on my way. NO 4 ways on, no regard to anyone in back of her. I was patient for a few seconds, then I got out of my car, and as I did, she decided to pull away and do a "U" turn. Another car came towards me and started yelling at me for getting upset. I punched the roof of their car and they took off like a bullet. The woman originally in question drove towards me and called me an "a*&hole". People need a huge dose of bigger city life around here.
The dose of bigger city life that you're missing, is that you are not the biggest a*&hole in the city. One day an even bigger a*&hole is going to leave you bleeding in the street. I agree with your anger, but completely disagree with your response.

Last edited by zip95; 12-09-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 09:04 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
When I drive I'm on a mission to get from location A to location B... It's infuriating to me that you are hindering my progress... I must compete, I must win, I must complete my mission...
I actually drive slower these days because I'm more aware of drivers like you and of the resulting need to be able to stop more rapidly because a nontrivial subset of the other drivers are going too fast.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
In and around the city I go the speed limit or 6 miles over it. Makes no sense to do 55 on McKnight Rd or Banksville with all the lights. I travel frequently to Jamestown and crank it to around 75-80, makes a 160 mile trip go a lot faster.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I actually drive slower these days because I'm more aware of drivers like you and of the resulting need to be able to stop more rapidly because a nontrivial subset of the other drivers are going too fast.
Now, of course I'm a civilized and thoughtful human being so my actions are not dictated by my core emotions. I do realize I have a family and I need to make it home, so I generally attempt to temper my driving. But deep down every bone in my body is screaming that you are preventing me from completing my goal. You are the causing me to fail my mission. That's the mentality of that nontrivial subset of drivers you mention. I try not to be an aggressive driver because I have a family but it takes constant effort on my part. I can not begin to understand a personality that can sit passively in the middle of the pack with no desire to move to the front... it is completely foreign to me.

Last edited by zip95; 12-09-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
I try not to be an aggressive driver because I have a family, but it takes constant effort on my part.
Got ya. We've all be there.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,831 times
Quote:
That's a false rationalization used by slow drivers to justify their innate passiveness. You should understand that many of us are not naturally passive followers. It's emotionally painful for me to let your submissive driving habits dictate my my arrival time. When I drive I'm on a mission to get from location A to location B... It's infuriating to me that you are hindering my progress... I must compete, I must win, I must complete my mission... That's the difference between your driving and mine... I can not even comprehend your mentality.

Speaking technically though, speeding absolutely will get you there faster... especially in the city. Remember that red light you caught? Well I beat it.. and the next one, and the next one... I reached my goal a good 15 minutes before you...
Thanks for the personal psychoanalysis. I'm always heartened when I encounter well-informed insight delivered with such conviction. It's sorely lacking in society, and refreshing to actually experience it. I'll do my best to mitigate my passive ways.

Quote:
Now, of course I'm a civilized and thoughtful human being so my actions are not dictated by my core emotions. I do realize I have a family and I need to make it home, so I generally attempt to temper my driving. But deep down every bone in my body is screaming that you are preventing me from completing my goal. You are the causing me to fail my mission. That's the mentality of that nontrivial subset of drivers you mention. I try not to be an aggressive driver because I have a family but it takes constant effort on my part. I can not begin to understand a personality that can sit passively in the middle of the pack with no desire to move to the front... it is completely foreign to me.
Most people really do love to sit passively in traffic with no desire to move - it's a documented fact that sitting in traffic jams is the #1 recreational activity of choice for 67% of Americans.

I do think it's interesting that this thread started with complaints about drivers that unexpectedly stop in traffic, attempt u-turns on busy narrow roads, etc., and has reached the point where we have people revealing that they boil with rage merely because they're not able to always zoom in front of everyone else.

Last edited by Clint.; 12-09-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Most people really do love to sit passively in traffic with no desire to move - it's a documented fact that sitting in traffic jams is the #1 recreational activity of choice for 67% of Americans.
I love a sarcastic sense of humor... that was hilarious.

Quote:
Thanks for the personal psychoanalysis. I'm always heartened when I encounter well-informed insight delivered with such conviction. It's sorely lacking in society, and refreshing to actually experience it. I'll do my best to mitigate my passive ways.
I wasn't purposefully offensive and I wasn't necessarily calling you passive. Your post was just an opportunity to deliver (with conviction) my well-informed personal psychoanalysis...

Anyway, my post is absolutely correct. Driving habits are a reflection of differing personality types. This should be blatantly obvious to everyone and completely uncontroversial. You show me some one who's perfectly content to catch every light, putter along in the right lane, and stop at the yellow. I'll show you some one who isn't a professional athlete, criminal, or ladder climbing business exec. This is not rocket surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh