Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times

Advertisements

In 20 years, the debate over what part of the country Pittsburgh belongs to will have ended. As the warm North Atlantic Ocean waves pound the rugged Appalachian Coastline, our newly planted citrus groves will thrive in the monsoonal rains, and everybody will agree that we're definitely a part of the eastern seaboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
Them thar hills are going to be the end to Pit lol.
In all seriousness I would agree that an educated guess can be made that the future for both the city and much of the region will be better than it has been since ~1980. I say that the city will break 400,000 residents by 2030 with many areas such as Larimar and Manchester filling in where there are missing teeth. I agree that some return of manufacturing would be beneficial to the area rather than having the entire area relying on high skilled white collar work. I would like the think that international migration will increase with Pittsburgh starting to diverge from its long held position of a "zebra city." I believe that natural gas drilling will bring in many Hispanics from Texas which has the potential to cause more migration due to the fact that there will be somewhat of a community here compared to previous times. I also believe that there will be increased migration from both South and East Asia with the increased white collar opportunities. As a disclaimer, this is only my educated guess and I could be completely wrong, but from what I have observed Pittsburgh is headed in the right direction and along with its sister city in the East, Pittsburgh will help make PA relevant again

edit: I would also love to see HSR to Philly and Washington DC, while I know it isn't likely to happen, a man can dream can't he :P

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
In 20 years, the debate over what part of the country Pittsburgh belongs to will have ended. As the warm North Atlantic Ocean waves pound the rugged Appalachian Coastline, our newly planted citrus groves will thrive in the monsoonal rains, and everybody will agree that we're definitely a part of the eastern seaboard.
You went in the direction I was leaning. I was thinking, well, in 20 years our climate could be closer to South Carolina's, so I'm thinking we could be in for a population surge as the southern states approach preparation for hell hot. I'll be migrating to Canada at that point looking for a more moderate climate.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
In 10 years, people will be marveling at all the new buildings Downtown and the totally transformed East Liberty, and debating the merits of the first years of development in the Lower Hill/former-Arena site and Strip District. Residential infill will be occurring in many neighborhoods currently thought of as stagnant or declining.

In 20 years, people will be talking about how everything in the core area has gotten so expensive, and lamenting the long-vanished Golden Era in which decent houses could be bought for cheap.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In 20 years, people will be talking about how everything in the core area has gotten so expensive, and lamenting the long-vanished Golden Era in which decent houses could be bought for cheap.
Based upon threads in this forum, this has already started happening.

In 20 years, there will be debates as to the best restaurants in Larimer and excitement over the new townhomes in Homewood.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Based upon threads in this forum, this has already started happening.
Indeed, although truthfully it is far from everywhere in the core area that has experienced a lot of recent appreciation (in other words, Polish Hill is not a universalizable example).

But I suppose what I really meant is EVERYONE will be talking that way in 20 years, as they do in places like NYC or SF today.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Indeed, although truthfully it is far from everywhere in the core area that has experienced a lot of recent appreciation (in other words, Polish Hill is not a universalizable example).

But I suppose what I really meant is EVERYONE will be talking that way in 20 years, as they do in places like NYC or SF today.
There have been complaints here and there outside of Polish Hill, but certainly not to the extent you see in the dense coastal cities. But I hope and expect that complaints about housing being too expensive will be relative to what the cost used to be, and not that Pittsburgh is just as expensive as SF or NYC.

In 20 years, people will complain that Larimer is out of their price range.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
I hope Pittsburgh's home appreciaton in the future isn't as bad as some on here think it may become.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
But I hope and expect that complaints about housing being too expensive will be relative to what the cost used to be, and not that Pittsburgh is just as expensive as SF or NYC.
Probably not that expensive, but I don't think something in the Portland/Seattle range is out of the question.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Probably not that expensive, but I don't think something in the Portland/Seattle range is out of the question.
I agree, but we have quite a lot of holes to fill before it gets to that level. I think it will get there eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh