Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times

Advertisements

Nobody wants to do the Squirrel tunnel during rush hour every day.

Staying close and east provides the easiest trips to both Greensburg and Pitt and being close to I-376 is certainly a plus if your going to Greensburg every day.

Regent Square which hugs the city line and overlaps into several boroughs is urban and on the busy bus routes to Oakland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
I agree that Regent Square is the best option. Keeps you close to culture and nightlife, pretty close to Pitt's campus, and maybe a 40 minute commute to Greensburg.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:47 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
We live in Regent Square, and for a while I was frequently commuting out to the Altoona area. It was definitely nice to be on the east side of the Squirrel Hill tunnel, and it is also very convenient for bus access to Oakland. In fact, you might also look into what I call Whitney Park, which is between Regent Square and the Busway, since at the Hamnett Station on the Busway you can pick up the P3 to Oakland--all things considered, I think the P3 is a better option than the 61A/B (the other major buses to Oakland from Regent Square, which also go through Squirrel Hill and can get really overcrowded).

Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 685 times
I've been a lurker here, off and on, for a few years... but I had to register jsut so I could reply to this thread.

I did this exact same thing about six months ago. Well, almost exact... I moved to NEPA *from* Pittsburgh in 2010 and was able to transfer back in July 2012. Oddly enough, I work in Greensburg and used to work in W-B... I wonder if you work for a certain office on N. Washington Street?

I'm not living in Pittsburgh right now, but I've lived in Greenfield and North Point Breeze before when attending Pitt for grad school. Both are convenient to Oakland/campus but would be a 45-60 minute drive to G'burg.

Feel free to reply here or PM me. Especially if you work for BDD.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM

97 posts, read 165,318 times
Welcome in advance. I went to college in NEPA and I'm from Pittsburgh. I've always thought that NEPA and Pittsburgh feel remarkably similar in terms of people - friendly, warm, and homey - topography, and even weather.

In terms of neighborhoods, there's already been so much excelent advice (and I'm more of a south-hills girl than east-end..); I wish you luck with your move!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM

10 posts, read 6,994 times
Thanks for the continued follow-up. Also yes, TSG, I certainly am BDD. I'm pretty sure I know who you are now, and sent you a PM

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for a property management co. / landlord in the east end which actually lets you own 3 cats? Because damned if I can find a building that does, let alone 3 of them. I've seen some (read: one or two) that allow 2, but not 3. We can leave one with family here...but obviously we'd rather not do that.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM

THREAD RISEN FROM THE GRAAAAAVE

Just as an update - we have settled on Highland Park (Stanton Ave near Negley). We rented a 1BR which is actually more affordable then our modest 2BR in small-town NEPA. Not bad.

Also, there is literally a bus stop right outside of the place which is on the line to Oakland (wife is going to Pitt).

It appears I'll be able to take 22 to 66S for the reverse commute to Greensburg. Looks to be a 30mi/45m commute, which is in line with what I do now. I see lots of hate for commutes on this board - personally I really enjoy the alone time to catch up on the news (NPR Morning Edition ftw).

Of course...I am open to options from commuters if there is a better way...for example - would it be better to avoid 66S in its entirety and stay on 22 and take 819 or will 819 be riddled with local cop speed traps and champagne-colored Buicks going 10mph under the speed limit?

We are pleased with the way things turned out, and have fallen pretty hard for the East End in the few times we've visted.

Move day is now less than 30 days away!

Last edited by czar casm; 07-19-2013 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: I accidentally some words

Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Thanks for the update!

re: Greensburg...

The route taken can depend on where in Gbg you are going.
Route 66 can be slow going - the Amos K Bypass would be better/faster but there are tolls. And it does you little good if you need to be east of downtown.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar casm View Post
THREAD RISEN FROM THE GRAAAAAVE

Just as an update - we have settled on Highland Park (Stanton Ave near Negley). We rented a 1BR which is actually more affordable then our modest 2BR in small-town NEPA. Not bad.

Also, there is literally a bus stop right outside of the place which is on the line to Oakland (wife is going to Pitt).

It appears I'll be able to take 22 to 66S for the reverse commute to Greensburg. Looks to be a 30mi/45m commute, which is in line with what I do now. I see lots of hate for commutes on this board - personally I really enjoy the alone time to catch up on the news (NPR Morning Edition ftw).

Of course...I am open to options from commuters if there is a better way...for example - would it be better to avoid 66S in its entirety and stay on 22 and take 819 or will 819 be riddled with local cop speed traps and champagne-colored Buicks going 10mph under the speed limit?

We are pleased with the way things turned out, and have fallen pretty hard for the East End in the few times we've visted.

Move day is now less than 30 days away!
Congrats, Welcome to Pittsburgh!

I'm going to warn you now. I'm not sure how traffic is in Scranton-Wilkes, but your commute will NOT take 30 minutes. Sure you will be going against traffic. But Pittsburgh traffic on its parkways are bottlenecks from hell. 376 is the 9th most congested highway in the country. Once you get to Monroeville, 22 is improved but still contains A LOT of lights in Monroeville and Murrysville. 66 rarely has traffic issues. I'd plan on it taking up to an hour, honestly. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Congrats, Welcome to Pittsburgh!

I'm going to warn you now. I'm not sure how traffic is in Scranton-Wilkes, but your commute will NOT take 30 minutes. Sure you will be going against traffic. But Pittsburgh traffic on its parkways are bottlenecks from hell. 376 is the 9th most congested highway in the country. Once you get to Monroeville, 22 is improved but still contains A LOT of lights in Monroeville and Murrysville. 66 rarely has traffic issues. I'd plan on it taking up to an hour, honestly. Good luck!
I had said 45min, although it will likey be closer to 50min. 30 MILES. I'm aware of 22 east of the city. That's how I travel from there to here. Each time I have visted PGH it was during the week and I was driving against rush hour (as I will be doing daily) and there's not been traffic issues other than the legendary amount of traffic lights as you said. But that's factored in already.

I just wanted to make sure 66 wasn't some type of local legend for congestion and/or construction, like 376/Squirrel Hill tunnel are.

Thanks for the continued feedback, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh