Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
what a joke - those homes in barely in east liberty, that's practically highland park

can anyone give me one example of "gentry" living in or on the perimeter of Penn Circle RIGHT NOW?
You've moved the goalposts out to the parking lot. Those are houses at middle class and high prices in East Liberty which is what you mentioned when you asked for "one example."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
AFAIK, those apartments which were built on the north side of Penn a few years back are currently the only residential property within Penn Circle. Back when the 2010 census was done, the only inhabited places otherwise were the churches and one block of Broad Street (maybe a few people living above storefronts there).

Going around Penn Circle, the areas to the east and west are projects for all intents and purposes. The southwest is "East Friendship" and has always been a student rental area. The area between Penn Circle and the Boulevard is mixed, but I don't think (having driven around there) that the biggest residential portion (west of the Home Depot) has houses in any rattier condition/any less white people on the street than the area north of the Boulevard.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
The area between Penn Circle and the Boulevard is mixed, but I don't think (having driven around there) that the biggest residential portion (west of the Home Depot) has houses in any rattier condition/any less white people on the street than the area north of the Boulevard.
Sooooooo true. That area despite being safer, is currently largely undesireable for middle class... Houses are in rattier condition and there are even wealthier & better kept streets in the north of East Liberty Boulevard. Still improvement is improvement...

Old 06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
AFAIK, those apartments which were built on the north side of Penn a few years back are currently the only residential property within Penn Circle. Back when the 2010 census was done, the only inhabited places otherwise were the churches and one block of Broad Street (maybe a few people living above storefronts there).
that is one example

what's revealing about that project is the total lack of commercial tenants on the ground floor

i see the ace hotel had its zoning hearing last week - when is that project supposed to start?

Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM

606 posts, read 944,178 times
Quote:
what a joke - those homes in barely in east liberty, that's practically highland park

can anyone give me one example of "gentry" living in or on the perimeter of Penn Circle RIGHT NOW?
Well, I toured this place when it was finished, and I know that it sold for list price. It's definitely in East Liberty.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
Well, I toured this place when it was finished, and I know that it sold for list price. It's definitely in East Liberty.
According to the county it sold for just under 300,000.

Anyway want to guess what the house is assessed at? And the homeowner appealed before coming to his or her senses.

The house next door mentioned in the article sold for just over 300,000 in 2012. Anyone want to guess what that one is assessed for?

You can get an awesome house for around 300,000 in East Liberty. Might not be the greatest block now but it is changing very quickly.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
According to the county it sold for just under 300,000.

Anyway want to guess what the house is assessed at? And the homeowner appealed before coming to his or her senses.

The house next door mentioned in the article sold for just over 300,000 in 2012. Anyone want to guess what that one is assessed for?

You can get an awesome house for around 300,000 in East Liberty. Might not be the greatest block now but it is changing very quickly.
That house in the p-g article is currently building a 15-20k detatched garage.

Behind it a lot on n Euclid and it is under contract and there are plans for a 500k new construction home to be built.

Yes, almost highland park but it is east lib.

Inside penn circle there are luxury apartments. One of my colleagues rented one next to brgr a few years ago and was paying big bucks to live there. After he moved out they raise the rent by close o $500 per month and it rented immediately with two people waiting for the renter to back out.

I hear that people are moving into highland/Wallace this past week with 40% leased. I'm willing to guess they are middle income folks.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:00 PM

172 posts, read 333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I hear that people are moving into highland/Wallace this past week with 40% leased. I'm willing to guess they are middle income folks.
You guys just don't get it. Unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the bulk of East Liberty's population has discretionary income and is, right at this very moment, showing "signs of culinary, retail and entertainment life on Penn Avenue, like [CFP] knew as a kid shopping at Mansmann's, eating at Conti's and Bolan's Restaurants and seeing movies at the Regent and Sheridan," then East Liberty is dead, and anyone who argues otherwise is engaging in spin and hype.

The fact that millions of dollars have been and are being poured into East Liberty every year by developers who aren't in business to lose money? Doesn't matter.

The fact that lower-end businesses are being priced out of the area as landlords raise the rent in expectation of wealthier tenants coming along? Doesn't matter.

The fact that you pretty much can't walk through the streets north of East Liberty Boulevard due to the large number of dumpsters being used by gut rehabbers who are buying houses at foreclosure prices and selling them for $300K? Doesn't matter.

What matters is what CFP, the original poster, saw when he was a kid. Today's East Liberty doesn't match it. Therefore, it's no good and anyone suggesting otherwise is delusional or being paid to hype the place.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:41 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
What matters is what CFP, the original poster, saw when he was a kid. Today's East Liberty doesn't match it. Therefore, it's no good and anyone suggesting otherwise is delusional or being paid to hype the place.
well said, and when the main drag penn avenue is thriving the way it did for nearly a hundred years before urban renewal i will finally admit that the hype was real

i hope it happens but doubt it will

Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
i hope it happens but doubt it will
No you don't, but that's okay.

Some things that you are forgetting:
-Brick and mortar retail is pretty much dead Because of Walmart, Amazon etc.
-Pittsburgh population is half of what it once was
-Your memories seem to predate the common ownership of the automobile Which confined consumers to one small geographic area.

There will never be four movie theaters in East liberty again. But way back in the day people didn't have DVD players or Netflix. Your memories even predate VHS and Betamax Videos.

If they can get a good mission style burrito/taco spot, a four-screen Cineplex, and a good daily breakfast/brunch place - I will be content. I don't need a wooden escalator.

Last edited by selltheburgh; 06-13-2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Sloppy typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh