Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 621,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
It's like the post-yuppie fountain of youth.
LOL, or better yet, the slush-puppy fountain of couth

Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
i'll admit that my title was a little sensational but the fact remains that each week we learn about a hip business leaving a neighborhood that is being marketed to young professionals as a hip neighborhood
The initial posts and beginnings of this thread didn't seem to be going in this direction. It seemed to be more like "East Liberty is dying and will stay dead!", but I would agree with your post here.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,107 times
At least they're not leaving E Liberty alarmingly.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:36 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,962,631 times
Quote:
If that is their strategy then they all need to be fired because it is completely unrealistic; we're talking about Pittsburgh here, not San Francisco/Silicon Valley
There are plenty of streets that have radically transformed since I've lived in Pittsburgh. Off the top of my head, I can think of three examples: Elsworth, Carson and Butler. All three of those were filled with junk shops, antique stores or just empty storefronts. In the past twenty years Carson and Elsworth have been totally transformed and Butler about 3/4 of the way there.

I don't know how anyone who's been here more than two years can look at Pittsburgh and not see how it's been hugely changed, largely for the better, in the last two decades.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,875,553 times
I actually do sort of wonder if CFP still lives here.

I remember we used to have a poster from "Highland Park" who complained about how it was still as bad as ever. When someone mentioned the East Liberty Target in another thread she was like "there's a Target now? I haven't been back that way for seven years."

After calling her out on it, she never returned to the Pittsburgh forum.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I actually do sort of wonder if CFP still lives here.
oh, i'm here alright, and if i get a chance this weekend i'm going to walk down to penn circle and take some pictures to show that the images you see on google streetview are still accurate - some of the buildings have been renovated but the population for the most part remains the same

people gotta live somewhere and deserve to have a neighborhood to call home

Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,526,963 times
Quote:
oh, i'm here alright, and if i get a chance this weekend i'm going to walk down to penn circle and take some pictures to show that the images you see on google streetview are still accurate - some of the buildings have been renovated but the population for the most part remains the same
What on earth would that show? First, there's lots of people in EL and if you wait a bit, you can get a picture of whatever kind of person you want walking down the street. Second, I don't see how shouting "Look, black people!" is making any point about EL's development.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
What on earth would that show?
it'll show that i'm not making these comments from a remote location, that i know the neighborhood like the back of my hand and that other than the center avenue corridor and parts of the perimeter of penn circle very little development has occurred, though there has been a lot of hype about a "hip" neighborhood that appears to be losing most of its "hip" businesses like nightclubs, design firms, etc.

how's that odeon project coming along? - i see they updated the rendering on their website

The Odeon Building | East Liberty, Pittsburgh, PA

Old 06-14-2013, 12:15 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,526,963 times
Quote:
it'll show that i'm not making these comments from a remote location...
If somebody steals your camera, I'm going to laugh for days.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If somebody steals your camera, I'm going to laugh for days.
i'll keep you posted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh