Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,564,755 times

Advertisements

I'm picturing CFP wearing a safari outfit With hiking boots, a vest, and a goofy hat. Binoculars and an over priced camera in tote.

In all seriousness, maybe stop by the Borland green Gardens at Black Street and Beatty behind Peabody/Obama For the children's garden gathering on Saturday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,448,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
EAST LIBERTY HOUSES SOLD

28 houses sold for over 150k in the last 2 years in East Lib. Some in the mid 300k range.
hate to jump back a few pages, but that seems hard to believe so few houses have sold in 2 year stretch of an entire neighborhood, when its getting its best press since alexander negley was still planting crops there.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 621,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I'm picturing CFP wearing
you're picturing what i'm wearing? oy vey

Old 06-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
that seems hard to believe so few houses have sold in 2 year stretch of an entire neighborhood, when its getting its best press since alexander negley was still planting crops there.
then don't believe it - it's your right to deny reality

Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,624,193 times
Quote:
hate to jump back a few pages, but that seems hard to believe so few houses have sold in 2 year stretch of an entire neighborhood, when its getting its best press since alexander negley was still planting crops there.
that's only the houses that have sold for over $150k.

also cfp, whoah there boy - i think safak might be on your side!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,494 times
What is going to be proven by the photographs to be taken this weekend? That EL has not fully gentrified? I don't think anyone would argue that.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,564,755 times
Quote:
True, it isn't a lot, But it is pretty much everything that has come up for sale. It would be something else if there're only this many sales and just as many houses still sitting on the market...Or even half still on the market. I know of close to a dozen properties that sold Off of the MLS That have since been rehabbed or currently are being rehabbed. ELDI has also acquired a good 15 to 20 properties as well that they intend to improve in the next few years.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 PM

as promised, here's a set of current photographs of east liberty

they were taken on a sunny saturday afternoon, june 15, 2003

East Liberty 6-15-2013 - a set on Flickr

my impressions:

- there are many dead zones in the area where there is a real possibility of having your camera stolen
EL-01 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- there are a lot of parking lots
EL-05 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-08 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-14 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-38 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-40 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-37 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- the highland building looks fantastic and should be a big success
EL-28 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- the wallace building look great too, it will be interesting to see how quickly they can lease the ground floor retail space
left over after the new mexican restaurant moves in
EL-33 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- the bridge closing is a hassle for now
EL-35 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- this mound is an eyesore
EL-22 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- the borders space has been vacant for too long
EL-36 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- there are some extremely charming spots such as paris 66 bistro
EL-34 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- there are a lot of empty, run down, ugly buildings for sale or not
EL-39 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-42 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-02 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- kirkwood street is basically a deserted alley
EL-17 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- the hotel indigo project, if it ever happens, will make a huge difference if it's successful
EL-11 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-12 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- it has taken forever to get the YMCA building renovation going but it's an amazing building that will make a cool hotel
EL-43 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- it was a perfect day for sitting outside on the main drag but no one was doing that because penn avenue needs attention
EL-26 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
EL-27 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- making center avenue two-way has created some traffic issues, especially during rush hour
EL-24 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- one thing east liberty has that makes it really unique is the cantini fountain
EL-45 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-15-2013, 07:06 PM

correction: they were taken on a sunny saturday afternoon, june 15, 2013

Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Since I haven't lived here long enough to know much about East Liberty, I don't have anything to add about the neighborhood. What I can say however, is that redevelopment and gentrification is a long and uneven process. I lived in SF's Mission district in the late 70s at the very beginning of its transformation from a place that was mostly poor and working class to the hipster paradise it is today. There are still lots of poorer people in the neighborhood almost 40 years later. SF has rent control so people who have lived in the same place for a long time actually have affordable rent and cannot afford to move unless they want to leave the city. When those buildings sell, they sell for lots of money and are renovated and rented out or resold for a ton of money. My point is that in one of the hottest, most gentrified neighborhoods in SF there are still crummy buildings and storefronts mixed in with the renovated, upscale ones. There is still gang activity and a housing project. There are still blocks where you have to be careful; granted it's way better than it was 40 years ago. Mark Zuckerberg just bought a house there and the streets are full of kids living out their hipster fantasies thanks to jobs with the high tech/social media giants or money from Mom & Dad. Yet when my daughter was looking for a place she answered an ad and saw a two bedroom apartment in a very run down building that was shared by seven immigrant guys. Needless to say, she didn't take the place. As an outsider looking in, East Liberty seems to moving along a similar path and has many of the same contradictions as SF's Mission district, albeit on a different timeline. Whether or not it has the same success over time remains to be seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh