Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 12:52 PM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 624,471 times

Advertisements

"the details of which will also be announced via social media when they’re worked out"

meaning if they're worked out
i think you're right - this spells the end of union pig
again, if a restaurant or shop is not near "eastside" chances for success are slim
and even that is no guarantee - look at pizza sola for example, great quality but too pricey for the lunch crowd

Jim Aiello Jr. selling off Pizza Sola restaurants - Pittsburgh Business Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
"the details of which will also be announced via social media when they’re worked out"

meaning if they're worked out
i think you're right - this spells the end of union pig
again, if a restaurant or shop is not near "eastside" chances for success are slim
and even that is no guarantee - look at pizza sola for example, great quality but too pricey for the lunch crowd

Jim Aiello Jr. selling off Pizza Sola restaurants - Pittsburgh Business Times

I bet they will be worked out. He was only a partner of Union Pig. Curious about Harvard and Highland since it is a separate business.

FYI - Pizza Sola sold back in the summer. That's why they were closed for about 2-3 weeks. There was a small sign that said something like "closed for renovations and new management" which really meant "new owners." A lot of people were mad because there wasn't any notice and nobody knew until they got there, myself included. It has been open under new ownership for half a year now and doesn't seem much different.

You can't compare Station Street's location to Union Pig. Lots of people from Highland Park and East Liberty residential areas walk to Union Pig and beyond. People walk there form Eastern part of Shadyside. Station Street isn't as walkable. Hence why Zeke's is doing a drive thru and their mass production roasting there, which makes more sense than a lunch spot.

Once Mosites' 500 units are done and Walnut builds more apartments on Penn, there will be even more foot traffic around there.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Once Mosites' 500 units are done and Walnut builds more apartments on Penn, there will be even more foot traffic around there.
and all the realtors, developers, and landlords will be rich, rich, rich!

so the half a dozen buses that stop at penn and highland are to be rerouted, is that it?
if so then to where?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:33 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,949 times
Quote:
and all the realtors, developers, and landlords will be rich, rich, rich!

so the half a dozen buses that stop at penn and highland are to be rerouted, is that it?
if so then to where?
News to me. Is that maybe just for the next year during construction?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
Union Pig & Chicken should be fine without Sousa. Salt is still doing well.

Guys like him need to continually get involved with new projects. And like the ones he's already done, the new projects will have enough appeal to the limited number of people who would enjoy it that he'll be fine. Even in Braddock.

I get a bit depressed when a place I think is good and fairly priced gets reviewed as "pretentious", "servings too small", "ridiculously expensive" and whatnot. It happens here more than anywhere I've lived. I have to figure the dining out populace just wants something else - like Golden Corral on every corner.

I didn't realize Zeke's had a "mass production" roaster. I thought they were still using that homemade air popper thing that has no quality control instrumentation.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
There are no Golden Corrals within city limits, and only 3 in the entire metro area (1 of which is far-flung Uniontown).

Old 11-03-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Have you seen the Mosites TOD plan for the east busway?
not in detail - do you know what it says about the bus routes that run through penn circle?
if so can you enlighten us?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:48 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,591,772 times
Quote:
is this a snarky comment or a real question? Have you seen the Mosites TOD plan for the east busway?
That's what they're building right now behind Kelly's, isn't it?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's what they're building right now behind Kelly's, isn't it?
the question is, and selltheburgh implied he knows the answer -

is the new transit center strictly for the busway buses,
or will all of the buses that currently run through penn circle and stop at penn and highland be rerouted
to the new TOD?

anyone know the answer to that?

Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times
Quote:
the question is, and selltheburgh implied he knows the answer -

is the new transit center strictly for the busway buses,
or will all of the buses that currently run through penn circle and stop at penn and highland be rerouted
to the new TOD?

anyone know the answer to that?
I'm presuming there will be changes to the bus system as a result of the TOD station. It might make sense, for example, to have all the 71A/B/C/D all go to ELTC. Let people disembark there, where they get a free transfer on the busway to either Downtown or Oakland. It should save everyone time, and save the Port Authority money to boot.

I don't see how this will hurt East Liberty though. It might hurt Garfield or Bloomfield though, as it's possible they'd seek to do the same with the outer branches of the 86 and 88, which would presumably reduce frequency of trips slightly on surface routes between East Liberty and Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh