Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

In addition to what everyone else has said, it's worth noting that technically speaking, Borders was in Shadyside, and Babyland was in Friendship.

I do find it interesting that while Penn Avenue within Penn Circle has stayed comparably dead, Penn Avenue near Garfield continues to get more and more active. This is particularly the case in blocks around the Quiet Storm, which seem to be becoming a commercial district for Friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
CFP CFP started this thread

475 posts, read 624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You're arguing that a $31 million dollar investment in residential property as part of a $400 million plan is evidence that a neighborhood is declining? If you want to make the argument that the revitalization is unfair, you might have some evidence there. But you don't seem to be making that type of argument.
What I'm arguing is that throwing government money and corporate big boxes at an area does not make a "neighborhood". In fact it undermines the efforts made by individuals to create one, and the disappearance of the Shadow Lounge/Conflict Kitchen/Waffle Shop is the perfect example of that.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
I think the issue is that your argument has seemed to morph as the thread has evolved. In my view, clearly investment and business activity in East Liberty is on the upswing and so, accordingly, you initial post in this thread indicating some fear that the tide is receding seems misplaced.

Now, as to the question of what these investments are doing to the "neighborhood" of EL, its current residents and what type of future it should have, there are issues to discuss and different, valid opinions. It did not seem to me however that you initiated that discussion.

On a larger scale though, in general, I think your viewpoint runs up against so much resistance in this forum because it is formed by the psychic scar that was inflicted on this City and its population in the 1970s and 80s. It is a knee jerk, pessimistic worldview, resistant to change and stubborn in its refusal to acknowledge progress. It was far more prevalent when I first got to Pittsburgh in the mid 90s, but it can still be found.

Many, if not most on this forum came to the City after those years. They don't carry its burdens with them.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
This thread should be titled "CFP V. The World."

Also, I'll heartily second groar: I've seen plenty of punks, weirdos, fixie kids, artists, bohemians, what-have-you at Shadow Lounge. I've definitely been in there with cutoff jeans before and not felt out of place, hahaha.
Not sure why people are attacking a messenger/OP? I have also been to Shadow and I wouldn't call it "upscale". I would call it more educated and maybe a bit offbeat.

As far as East Liberty goes, I think it is sort of on an upswing in a way, but I don't know if I like the direction. Big Box stores and government subsidized housing plans aren't exactly great. I don't like that Target, but I am in Home Depot a lot. Penn Avenue looks horrible and really I would say looks worse now than 20 years ago. At least then there were businesses there. Babyland was there a long time and now gone. Shadow is a real bummer. Politics sure ended them I guess. The powers wanted them out and they got their wish.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
While what's happening in East Liberty is concerning, I want to comment on Shadyside. Pottery Barn and Ann Taylor should have never been in Shadyside. Chain stores ruined that shopping district. Shadyside used to be filled with quirky specialty stores. It was always bustling. People went there for the uniqueness. When chains moved in, there was no need to go to Shadyside because you could get all that during your next trip to the mall. Dicks won't last long. Sadly, these chains, that ultimately decide the Shadyside location isn't profitable enough for them, run up commercial rental prices so the quirkey little stores and new small retail start ups can't afford to be in the area.

As for East Liberty restaurants that are not closing, they are moving to more established neighborhoods with more established business districts. Maybe, just maybe, East Liberty is the place for restaurant startups to get their wings before moving to more expensive retail areas. Let's hope so because that will mean new restaurants will move into their old spaces. However, I suspect that everyone's rents were increased due to the "upswing propaganda" and the illusion that higher rents are justified since more big box stores moved into the area. If they are going to pay the same rent in East Liberty that is commanded in Lawrenceville, Regent Square or Downtown, it's a no brainer to move to those areas!
Given the type of businesses that are closing or moving, perhaps this isn't necessarily a terrible thing or an indication of the neighborhood declining again. Maybe they just aren't the right type of establishments for that neighborhood at this point in the ongoing process of East Liberty's gentrification.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,496,883 times
Don't know if anyone else posted this but the Border's space has been or is being filled:

Chipotle slated for East Side location at South Highland - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 12-18-2012, 10:14 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
A timely article about what has gone in the Borders location mentioned in the first post:
Chipotle slated for East Side location at South Highland - Pittsburgh Business Times

From the article, three new businesses are moving or have moved into that space:
  • a Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant
  • a business called Pure Barre, a fitness center now open that uses the techniques of ballet as a form of exercise
  • Trek, the bike retailer already established at East Side, which would move from its current location behind the Pennsylvania Wine & Spirits store.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
nice find, Burghgirl17

Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP View Post
What I'm arguing is that throwing government money and corporate big boxes at an area does not make a "neighborhood". In fact it undermines the efforts made by individuals to create one, and the disappearance of the Shadow Lounge/Conflict Kitchen/Waffle Shop is the perfect example of that.
There are basically two models that neighborhood development follows in Pittsburgh.

Much of the city (Highland Park, Friendship, the Mexican War Streets, South Side, Lawrenceville, etc), were classic gentrification patterns. Artists and/or gays colonized a cheap neighborhood. They made the neighborhood more desirable, which then caused a wider range of people to be interested. In places with active commercial streets, interesting businesses started popping up, which pushed along demand more, until it got to the point where developers were willing to put down money on new construction.

East Liberty, in contrast, has been a developer-driven model from the get go. Yes, there have been things like the Shadow Lounge, but really there was never a core of residents who were gentrifying things now. Gentrifiers are beginning to move in, but they are buying houses that professionals have fixed up already by and large (houses in East Liberty jumped from not on the market to $300,000+ in one swoop).

It's a different model, but it's been done elsewhere, even in Pittsburgh. It's how things work in Downtown, for example, and it seems to be a stunning success so far in the Strip District, where they can't build new apartments fast enough to deal with demand. And given the unique challenges of East Liberty, including the complete removal of mixed-use from its commercial core, large vacant lots, urban blight, and high crime, it was unlikely without a coordinated development plan it wouldn't be too different today from 15 years ago.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:33 AM

116 posts, read 216,191 times
Aside from the businesses closing because of factors outside the scope of East Liberty, I think the types of businesses that people want there are starting to move in while those that no longer fit within the feel or need of the neighborhood are leaving. A few of those newer businesses off the top of my head.

1. The Shop in East Liberty - unique houseware & art boutique next to Union Pig and Chicken.
The Shop in East Liberty

2. Social Status, 5929 Penn - mens urban & streetwear store (the only store in the city to carry many high end, more expensive than you'd wish existed brand and items. Not Fubu.)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Socia...03124?filter=1

3. The Beauty Shoppe
Located on the second fl. above Zeke's Coffee (Zeke's Coffee | A small batch roastery in the 'Burgh), it's a co-working space with offices, conference rooms, etc.
The Beauty Shoppe | A co-working center in East Liberty Pittsburgh

4. Kiya Tomlin Pittsburgh - 11 Penn Cir. W.
Mike Tomlin's wife's custom made dress shop, $350-1500+ price point.
Kiya Tomlin, Pittsburgh LLC - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh