Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2021, 05:19 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,682,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We spent a long weekend in Buffalo a few years ago. It was fantastic. We stayed Downtown, and we explored the nearby neighborhoods of Allentown and Elmwood Village on foot. Elmwood Village reminded me a lot of Squirrel Hill. Allentown was sort of a mix between Shadyside and Lawrenceville. Downtown was weak compared to Pittsburgh, but the architecture was intriguing. Then there was Canalside. People up there talk about it like it's some sort of awesome attraction, but we walked around for 15 minutes and just sort of shrugged. We didn't understand it.
I think downtown Buffalo was a lot more vibrant and especially the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. Clean and a lot of younger people. Granted they don’t have as many tall buildings but that doesn’t matter. I was looking at the census tracts for Buffalo and Erie County. A lot of the city was in the green ( showing high growth) especially near the water and downtown. I think it is a big success story for the rust belt. And growth was evenly shared in the city and the suburbs. It’s in a good location with improved economy.

Hopefully Pittsburgh can pull off the same thing in 2030 and not just rely on the suburban I-79 corridor to be responsible for the population growth in Allegheny county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Just like you always say to the more positive ones on this forum.

EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES.

The Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area grew 2010-2020. Accept it. It's fact now.
The metro grew, the city lost and the county grew

Old 08-13-2021, 05:23 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
The metro grew, the city lost and the county grew

You predicted major losses of the city. Even upthread you are quoted saying 270,000. The city lost just over 2,000 residents not the 35,000 you predicted. You are DEAD wrong.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:32 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I don't either and likewise hope in the next 10 to 20 years things can stabilize in those areas. I am absolutely reveling though at how well Allegheny County did given given the tired nonsense a few pushed regularly that drove away several regulars including myself. There has definitely been a complete silence from a few who love to trash the area in other threads on here.

Amen brother

What a win for the Pittsburgh MSA 2020 actually turned out to be (even given Covid )

Old 08-13-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You predicted major losses of the city. Even upthread you are quoted saying 270,000. The city lost just over 2,000 residents not the 35,000 you predicted. You are DEAD wrong.
I was wrong, but given the last 80 years I wouldn’t have guessed otherwise. This was the best census for the city, region and metro in forever. The metro finally bottomed out with population losses it seems.

Even westmoreland county didn’t lose the amount that was estimated. I think they had them around 347,000 or something with estimates. We hit bottom with population losses and it looks like many of the other rust belt cities are close to being there as well. If we can be like Buffalo with growth then things will be grand

Old 08-13-2021, 06:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
I was wrong
Thank you. It takes a big person to be able to admit when they made a mistake. I was praying the city wouldn't even drop to 299,999 because "while only a number..." it is STILL something psychological to see a once-proud city drop below a milestone of 300,000. I mean I feel very badly for Erie. Well under 100,000 residents now, AND it slipped below Reading to become the 5th-largest city in PA after losing the title of 3rd-largest city in PA to Allentown not all that long ago. At least Pittsburgh will continue to be the 2nd-largest city in PA for all of our lifetimes---Allentown will be lucky to hit 200,000 before I die.

In any event I am very, very happy for Buffalo more than anything. I was NOT expecting that massive population turnaround. The city is nice, but, again, I thought with Upstate NY in general "rumored" to be imploding and with people always whining about the cold and the snow and Cuomo and taxes and whatnot I thought Buffalo would post another small loss.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I seem to recall that Buffalo launched a too good to be true urban homesteading program aimed at telecommuters in NYC and it had been a smash success.
Pittsburgh needs to follow suit. I am sure a lot of people from NYC, NoVA/DC/MD, and CA would move to Pittsburgh if they realized they could still work remotely and boost their quality-of-life by enjoying big-city amenities at a FRACTION of the price.

I mean even our trendy areas like Lawrenceville or Shadyside are still cheaper than normal neighborhoods in those other places.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:02 AM

1,910 posts, read 735,878 times
People don't realize how beautiful this area is. Even Pittsburghers take the lush greenery, the flowers, even the fall foliage for granted. They complain about rain and snow. Travel the country. It's different than here but not better.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:18 AM

611 posts, read 364,766 times
Quote:
Westmoreland County is definitely the worst in the Pittsburgh area. The Eastern reaches of that county have significant declines.

Again, it's got quite a challenge and needs to make a lot happen. You mention 79 and yes, access is critical.

That said, Westmoreland had very modest gains in migration, offset greatly by natural decline.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
People don't realize how beautiful this area is. Even Pittsburghers take the lush greenery, the flowers, even the fall foliage for granted. They complain about rain and snow. Travel the country. It's different than here but not better.
Yep. I'm the only transplant within an office of born-and-bred Pittsburghers. I am much more optimistic/idealistic about this city than any of them seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh