Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM

24 posts, read 35,309 times

Advertisements

From previous post - swf, looking to buy condo/town home/sfh in pittsburgh for under 100,000.

Every area in Pittsburgh seems to be spotted with less desirable blocks scattered within safer/nicer blocks.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on which areas of Swissvale are safer/nicer areas?
I.e. West of S. Braddock vs. East of S. Braddock?
North of Columbia Ave vs. South of Columbia?

Or is there no difference/easy way to know the better areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,046,921 times
Generally, the further south you go in Swissvale, the less desirable it becomes.

You won't find anything for less than 100k in the Regent Square section of Swissvale, so you can rule that out. I would recommend looking in the area that sits south of the Parkway East, west of Braddock ave. and north of Church St. This section is very safe, and has a decent housing stock.

The other section that I would recommend, would be near the border with Edgewood. I would look within a block or two of Lacrosse St.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Generally, the further south you go in Swissvale, the less desirable it becomes.

You won't find anything for less than 100k in the Regent Square section of Swissvale, so you can rule that out. I would recommend looking in the area that sits south of the Parkway East, west of Braddock ave. and north of Church St. This section is very safe, and has a decent housing stock.

The other section that I would recommend, would be near the border with Edgewood. I would look within a block or two of Lacrosse St.
I'd also say the area near Swisshelm Park isn't bad.

Here's a rough map of how I'd say the four areas of Swissvale break down. Regent Square is certainly the most desirable, but the "East Swisshelm Park" and "South of Edgewood" areas are roughly equal in terms of stability and desirability. Only the area marked in yellow is a bit dodgy - and it's not even a ghetto, just a poorer area with a lot of active small factories and rental housing. Sadly, it's also the area near the East Busway.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,354,506 times
Check out this map as well... https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...24144,0.049138
Don't get it twisted Southern Swissvale is not a place that you go for an evening stroll after dark. Its a gang affiliated place where stuff does go down from time to time. Section 8 KILLED Southern Swissvale. On some streets there are mostly slumlord section 8 row-houses, while on others section 8 rentals are side by side with well maintained owner occupied houses... Its to the point that living on a street without section 8 is almost unavoidable in Southern Swissvale. It's not even that bad in Central McKeesport, Clairton, Duquesne, or Clairton!
-I really don't have a problem with section 8 just stating the CHFs
2012 year has been a quiet year, yet from 2008-2011 there had been more shootings reported in Swissvale than in Rankin (likely besides Hawkins/Pasildies) and Braddock (even when at the time gangs in Braddock were beefin' with North Braddock).
To answer your question- North of Columbia Ave is safe, and west/east of South Braddock Ave doesn't matter until you get to the busway...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 12-30-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,046,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd also say the area near Swisshelm Park isn't bad.

Here's a rough map of how I'd say the four areas of Swissvale break down. Regent Square is certainly the most desirable, but the "East Swisshelm Park" and "South of Edgewood" areas are roughly equal in terms of stability and desirability. Only the area marked in yellow is a bit dodgy - and it's not even a ghetto, just a poorer area with a lot of active small factories and rental housing. Sadly, it's also the area near the East Busway.
I wouldn't say that the area near the Edgewood border is equal in stability, desirability or potential to the section near Swisshelm Park. The section near Swisshelm Park has been the most stable, and is going to be the first section (outside Regent Square) to see meaningful improvement. In fact, it is already is improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Check out this map as well... https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...24144,0.049138
Don't get it twisted Southern Swissvale is not a place that you go for an evening stroll after dark. Its a gang affiliated place where stuff does go down from time to time. Section 8 KILLED Southern Swissvale. On some streets there are mostly slumlord section 8 row-houses, while on others section 8 rentals are side by side with well maintained owner occupied houses... Its to the point that living on a street without section 8 is almost unavoidable in Southern Swissvale. It's not even that bad in Central McKeesport, Clairton, Duquesne, or Clairton!
If there are gangs in Swissvale, they have no presence in, or effect on the public.

There is no doubt that "section 8" has had a very negative effect on Swissvale, but these negative effects are slowly reversing. It seems that the poverty in this region is being pushed outward away for the core area. This trend, as well as public investment in the East Busway extension, and redevelopment projects, is what I believe is reversing some of the decline the borough has experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
2012 year has been a quiet year, yet from 2008-2011 there had been more shootings reported in Swissvale than in Rankin (likely besides Hawkins/Pasildies) and Braddock (even when at the time gangs in Braddock were beefin' with North Braddock)...
Crime is clearly tending downward, 2011 saw a drop in every crime category, and I expect the same in 2012.

I would say that Swissvale has already bottomed out, and is starting to improve, albeit very slowly. As long as the current trends continue (job growth in the region, and people moving back to the core area) Swissvale will continue to slowly revitalize. With that said, as things are now, there are sections that are not very desirable, and are in need of quite a bit of improvement. I don't know if Swissvale is right for the OP or not, it all comes down to personal comfort levels.

Last edited by stburr91; 12-31-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,354,506 times
Quote:
I would say that Swissvale has already bottomed out, and is starting to improve, albeit very slowly. As long as the current trends continue (job growth in the region, and people moving back to the core area) Swissvale will continue to slowly revitalize.
Seems logical, after all you would know more about SV then me.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,774,833 times
Is it safe? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh