Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpriv View Post
I know a large number of students who have attended or currently attend these schools and every single one of them has their own car. I don't think there can be many "poor" students at any of these schools as CMU costs over 50k a year, Duquesne around 30k, and Pitt the second most expensive public college next to Penn State with tuition around 20-25k. And those are costs of tuition only, not room & board. Even with subsidized public transport, the only buses I have heard of anyone taking are the Pitt or CMU shuttles, not PAT buses.
While a good number of Pitt and CMU students, especially upperclassmen, might own their own vehicles, I'm in agreement with Moby Hick in saying that PAT buses are HIGHLY used by college students. This is in addition to the universities' private shuttles too, and those shuttles only go so far. The city buses get high usage from college students because they will take you to Downtown, South Side, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, and the Waterfront with good frequency. Not only that, but Pitt and CMU issue bus passes with each student ID, so city buses are JUST as useful as the private shuttles.

Oh and don't forget about the Airport Flyer too (28X)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
All the college kids are out back doing keg stands.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
While a good number of Pitt and CMU students, especially upperclassmen, might own their own vehicles, I'm in agreement with Moby Hick in saying that PAT buses are HIGHLY used by college students. This is in addition to the universities' private shuttles too, and those shuttles only go so far. The city buses get high usage from college students because they will take you to Downtown, South Side, Squirrel Hill, East Liberty, and the Waterfront with good frequency. Not only that, but Pitt and CMU issue bus passes with each student ID, so city buses are JUST as useful as the private shuttles.

Oh and don't forget about the Airport Flyer too (28X)!
Yeah. A lot of college students own their own car, but don't take it with them to college, because it's a hassle due to parking issues. Many others own cars, but since it's free to take the PAT buses and they go right by campus, use the bus for school commutes, using their car at most for evening socializing and leaving town. Kind of similar to how many/most people who work downtown prefer to use the Bus/T if they have a transit line near them. Only moreso, since they don't need to pay $2.50.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
At Pitt, few students living on campus have cars. Parking is very expensive and since buses are free for students, there is little point to bringing a car. The students who do have cars are usually commuter students.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
At Pitt, few students living on campus have cars. Parking is very expensive and since buses are free for students, there is little point to bringing a car. The students who do have cars are usually commuter students.
I recognize it's a luxury, but I would have gone absolutely stir-crazy if I hadn't brought my car to campus.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM

116 posts, read 216,191 times
Replying to a few people here. While I realize this is just a small survey of the student population as are most of the observations here, a majority of my friends at Pitt did not live on campus but lived in South or North Oakland/Shadyside with cars (mostly Shadyside or Squirrel Hill for those at CMU). Some are from out of town/state or had part time jobs in addition to going to school but none relied on bus service to get around Pittsburgh.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Replying to a few people here. While I realize this is just a small survey of the student population as are most of the observations here, a majority of my friends at Pitt did not live on campus but lived in South or North Oakland/Shadyside with cars (mostly Shadyside or Squirrel Hill for those at CMU). Some are from out of town/state or had part time jobs in addition to going to school but none relied on bus service to get around Pittsburgh.
I don't rely on bus service to get around Pittsburgh in general (i.e. I own couple of nice cars), but I still commute from Squirrel Hill to Oakland on the bus. The only people I know who commute from Squirrel Hill to Oakland by private car are either older, working irregular schedules, or somehow physically impaired.

I'm sure at least some students do drive when they can get their parents to pay for a pass, but it's just pissing away a over thousand a year if you live in any of those areas you mentioned. Most of those commutes don't even need a bus. Forbes and Murray is maybe 25 minutes on foot from CMU's campus. North Oakland is even closer to most Pitt buildings.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM

116 posts, read 216,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't rely on bus service to get around Pittsburgh in general (i.e. I own couple of nice cars), but I still commute from Squirrel Hill to Oakland on the bus. The only people I know who commute from Squirrel Hill to Oakland by private car are either older, working irregular schedules, or somehow physically impaired.

I'm sure at least some students do drive when they can get their parents to pay for a pass, but it's just pissing away a over thousand a year if you live in any of those areas you mentioned. Most of those commutes don't even need a bus. Forbes and Murray is maybe 25 minutes on foot from CMU's campus. North Oakland is even closer to most Pitt buildings.
None of them use the car to commute to and from school, but they all have them for weeknights, weekends, work, going to and from home, etc.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
I agree that of the minority of people who own cars, the vast majority do not rely on public transportation for obvious reasons.

That does not change the fact that the majority are carless.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
None of them use the car to commute to and from school, but they all have them for weeknights, weekends, work, going to and from home, etc.
That's what everyone was saying. The bus (or walking, if you're really close) is the primary method of transportation for students. If you take the bus twice (or more) a day, but you only use your car for shopping, socializing, and long trips, you're going to spend a hell of a lot more time in a bus than a car.

This fits how people I know downtown use the bus system too. Virtually everyone has a car, but doesn't use it to get downtown because it's not worth the time and parking fees. Thus the bus is the primary method of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh