Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times

Advertisements

BTW, those rankings that I posted were from a few years ago, you have to pay for the PSSA service to get more recent rankings.

I'm sure not a terrible lot has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:15 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
you are kidding right?
do you live in peters? MS/HS is very competitive etc...

Don't get me wrong it's great school district and wonderful family town.
But don't say it's not snobby.
Yes, I do. However, my daughter no longer goes to Peter's and is back in AZ until she graduates.

I have a lovely house in Old Trail, in Venetia. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

All my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, pilots, business owners and are the NICEST people I have ever met. And trust me when I say this, because we experienced a tragedy and these people who didn't even know us (we had just moved there THAT WEEK) came out in DROVES to offer us support.
I look forward to going back to my house in Venetia all the time. I miss my neighbors there. We bar-be-que, play bunco, go shopping, hang out, etc. My entire neighborhood is like one great big family.

Snobby? I think not.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Well that might be because you live in one of the wealthier neighborhoods in Peters. I know lots of people in that neighborhood and yes they are very nice. I too played bunco there etc...

It's easy to say there is no snobbiness when you are not the ones living in the 200sqft 3bedroom 1960's house. You are among the wealthier, you don't see it because it's not directed at you.
Quote:
All my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, pilots, business owners
what about auto mechanics? Salespeople? electrians? plumbers? construction workers?

I loved my old neighborhood too. And still remain close friends with them. I have some wonderful friendships that I cherish.

the snobbyness I am refering to is the mentality of the majority of the HS kids. (Not all) But a good percentage of them have sense of entitlement, are spoiled etc... new cars at 16, cell phones, etc...

Alot of these kids have been together since preschool, the cliques are established in 4-6th grade at Mcmurray. by MS they can be downright nasty (as most MS) but, it is very materialistic. My daughter would be frantic about what to wear...has to be ambercrombie, American eagle, Holister etc...

As with anywhere There are some super great kids as well as the not so great ones. But please I lived there, Peter kids are snobby.

What would your daughters friends think if she dated someone from Cannonsburg? Bought a shirt from walmart?

Seriously do you really think a bi-racial family will be welcomed in Peters with open arms?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM

85 posts, read 373,566 times
From reading this and other threads about the south hills, it seems the only highly ranked school district that does not have the "snob factor" in the south hills is Mt. Lebanon. Is this true? And if so, why? Is there a greater diversity of housing options in Mt. Leb?

Also, I am surprised to hear that Peters is getting to be that way. Is this a more recent trend (as more people are moving into Peters) or has it been that way (elite mentality) for many years?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
Is this a more recent trend (as more people are moving into Peters) or has it been that way (elite mentality) for many years?
Recent (up to several years), but it wasn't always like that, believe me.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:05 PM

104 posts, read 353,545 times
I recently moved from the Boston area to Mt Lebanon, and I definitely am not comfortable with the "snob factor". I haven't run into it much at all. We bought a house for $230K (4BR/3BA/nice big yard/hot tub!) in our neighborhood (near Hoover Elem) the houses are very well tended and pretty modest, all built in about 1960.

It can be a bit hard to break into the mom community here. I pick up my son at school every day and have to make the first move to meet people. But it doesn't seem like it's because we have less stuff or worse clothes or anything.

Maybe they pick on the fact that I'm still completely overwhelmed with the move!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Default I see your point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Well that might be because you live in one of the wealthier neighborhoods in Peters. I know lots of people in that neighborhood and yes they are very nice. I too played bunco there etc...

It's easy to say there is no snobbiness when you are not the ones living in the 200sqft 3bedroom 1960's house. You are among the wealthier, you don't see it because it's not directed at you.

what about auto mechanics? Salespeople? electrians? plumbers? construction workers?

I loved my old neighborhood too. And still remain close friends with them. I have some wonderful friendships that I cherish.

the snobbyness I am refering to is the mentality of the majority of the HS kids. (Not all) But a good percentage of them have sense of entitlement, are spoiled etc... new cars at 16, cell phones, etc...

Alot of these kids have been together since preschool, the cliques are established in 4-6th grade at Mcmurray. by MS they can be downright nasty (as most MS) but, it is very materialistic. My daughter would be frantic about what to wear...has to be ambercrombie, American eagle, Holister etc...

As with anywhere There are some super great kids as well as the not so great ones. But please I lived there, Peter kids are snobby.

What would your daughters friends think if she dated someone from Cannonsburg? Bought a shirt from walmart?

Seriously do you really think a bi-racial family will be welcomed in Peters with open arms?
I see your point, and I do agree to some degree. But you will find snobbiness in any affluent area. We had only spent 6 months at Peter's Township High School before my daughter and I returned to Scottsdale, Arizona.
But she was part of the clique you speak of and they welcomed her with open arms. I found fault with the teachers and the administration, but not with the kids or the parents.

I find what you say about the attitude toward auto mechanics and sales people to be untrue. But that is MY experience. My dad was a steel worker in Buffalo, NY so maybe I just don't see it.

As far as snobbiness - Peter's is NOTHING compared to Scottsdale, Arizona! The kids here wouldn't even *think* about shopping at Abercrombie or Hollister - it's *beneath* them. Nah, our kids here only wear the most expensive, trendy clothes on the planet! And no matter how much one tries to explain it's not the material things that matter, it's impossible to get that through to them. I would like to think that my daughter is different as she has experienced such tragic events in her life that she sees through that crap, but she's a teen and does try to fit in. I won't allow my daughter to go to university with anyone she knows - I just want her away from this entitlement attitude here in Arizona and to get a fresh start. Her choices : University of Miami, Penn State and NY. All very different.

As far as wal-mart goes, my daughter LOVES her expensive clothes, but she mixes things up with less expensive items. Wal-mart though, probably not. But she lives in a different world than I do.

As far as Cannonsburgh, I have no idea what they would think if she dated someone from there. I never experienced that attitude when we were there.

And far as bi-racial. I suppose that could happen anywhere. But from my conversations with the people in my neighborhood, I'd say they'd be very welcome.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:07 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
yes it is the same as almost every affluent suburb in the US.

And I truely didn't see the "elietist" attuide of "the bubble" until we moved out.

While Peter's is a great place and like I have said before if i had to move back to the area I have no doubt we'd go back. But there is NO diversity. The kids really don't relate to those not in thier own socio-ecnomic "class". ie...white upper middle-class.

SO...my point is (after rambling along...) that don't knock UPC for being "snobby" because they are no different from Peter's or Mt Lebo. Peter's has more "new money" and Mt Lebo has more "old money".

So I also would not recommend Peter's for someone looking for diversity etc...because it's not there.
Cannon Mac ISD and Chartiers are both good isd's with more diversity

Old 01-21-2011, 09:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,967 times
Why focus on the negative when we should be focusing on the quality of education these schools provide? High schools by definition are divisive. Many kids in their teens are clique-ish and are immature. They are kids! I went to a higher middle-class high school where I was one of the poorer kids. Were there some snobs who wouldn't talk to me? Sure. There were FAR more kids who didn't care what my socio-economic background was.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
There were FAR more kids who didn't care what my socio-economic background was.
That is almost ALWAYS the case, but some people and all of the media loves to discuss the few that were snobs and it gives those of us that grew up with some money a bad name. In reality, most kids really didn't care much about money as long as they had food and time to play. Times might be a little different now because cell phones, computers and all the other crap.

This thread is amazingly old. Someone called Fox Chapel kids snobs and all kind of generalizations. I have a son in FCHS, and I wouldn't believe it if someone told me that the kids I have encountered would tease someone for being poor. I think it would be the opposite. Sure there are some idiot kids, but most of them aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh