Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
It's always funny to me when people write an area off as being resistant to change. That seems ironically small-minded.

First off, your impression of Troy Hill is outdated: there are a lot of young people moving here. There is a marked, palpable change in the feel of the neighborhood in the last few years. I know several gay couples who have integrated without issue. I often meet young gay people in a few of the bars up here. (That said, I don't mean to downplay the general everyday discrimination experienced by the LGBT population at large.) Though I reserve judgment, it is true that the sentiment among the newcomers tends to be that the established community organization is suspicious of "outsiders" and not prone to change. The good news is that THC isn't the sole mechanism for change in this neighborhood. In fact, I'd say it's increasingly outmoded, and will be driven by necessity to adapt to the youngsters sooner than later.

For the record, I also think that people on this forum tend to view "the average Pittsburgher" as some absurdly reductive, monolithic working class caricature -- as uniform, socially conservative "yinzers." It's ironic to me that people who hold themselves out as educated are so often the first to turn a blind eye to the inherent heterogeneity of any substantial population -- to generalize to the point of offense. Sure, some of my neighbors are racists. Some are homophobes. Which neighborhood is it that doesn't have those? For every bigot I meet, I am pleased to meet someone who flies in the face of the stereotypes up here in my "insular" world. But that takes actual familiarity and interaction rather than reliance on hearsay... the same tools that battle any prejudice, now that I think of it.

Secondly, even if that wasn't the case, someone needs to be willing to start a movement if they want that movement to exist. If you're waiting for a place to accomodate you, you're already too late. There was a time when the same criticisms being lodged at Troy Hill could be made of the Mexican War Streets, certainly Lawrenceville, etc. Now those areas are largely unaffordable for the same people who made them what they are. Troy Hill is in the exciting position of being at the beginning of that ascent. You can allow your preconceived notions and fears to stop you from getting involved, but the train is going to leave with or without you.
I do notice this too and as someone who is a Pittsburgh native, the write off of all people who were born here (or at least it seems that way) by some on the forum gets a little annoying, rude, and ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I think the problem is that many transplants, including myself, who live in transient parts of the city, have limited exposure to the city's natives other than the ones who project a negative image of themselves and their city through the usage of parking chairs, bigotry towards minorities, wearing pajama pants and/or Steelers gear at the grocery store, parking facing the wrong way on streets, chain-smoking, NIMBYism, etc. For every "good" Pittsburgher native we come across, such as yourself, we have to wade through two who haven't yet heard that the 21st Century has arrived, and it can be frustrating sometimes. Nearly everyday at work I interact with someone who has never used an ATM before and who doesn't own a computer. I think if the types I just referenced weren't always so "in your face" around here then the natives wouldn't be so unfairly lumped together as having such traits being inherent to them.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm by no means a snob;

Quote:
the ones who project a negative image of themselves and their city through the usage of parking chairs, bigotry towards minorities, wearing pajama pants and/or Steelers gear at the grocery store, parking facing the wrong way on streets, chain-smoking, NIMBYism, etc. For every "good" Pittsburgher native we come across, such as yourself, we have to wade through two who haven't yet heard that the 21st Century has arrived, and it can be frustrating sometimes.
Well, which is it?

Old 01-06-2013, 07:14 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
I think the problem is that many transplants, including myself, who live in transient parts of the city, have limited exposure to the city's natives other than the ones who project a negative image of themselves and their city through the usage of parking chairs, bigotry towards minorities, wearing pajama pants and/or Steelers gear at the grocery store, parking facing the wrong way on streets, chain-smoking, NIMBYism, etc. For every "good" Pittsburgher native we come across, such as yourself, we have to wade through two who haven't yet heard that the 21st Century has arrived, and it can be frustrating sometimes. Nearly everyday at work I interact with someone who has never used an ATM before and who doesn't own a computer. I think if the types I just referenced weren't always so "in your face" around here then the natives wouldn't be so unfairly lumped together as having such traits being inherent to them.
You are being over dramatic as you often seem to be a bit with your descriptions of Pittsburgh. How do you know every person who gives off the image you like in a neighborhood isn't native to Pittsburgh? First, who cares what someone wears to the grocery store? I've worn sweats to the store just after I've woken up so I must be an uneducated hick too. Second, I live in one of the "yinzer" neighborhoods and the only time I truly ever saw a lot of parking chairs was in Feb 2010 after people dug out their car from two feet of snow. I didn't blame anyone for doing that either and it wasn't only in Pittsburgh people were doing that too. My grandmother and mom don't use computers either because they choose to since they have no need for them, so what do you think about them. I've seen chain smokers in every city I've been to also so it's not just a Pittsburgh thing.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM

52 posts, read 171,658 times
Wow. Thanks everybody for the replies. I have enjoyed reading the posts and have obtained additional knowledge in the process. I viewed an apartment today in Troy Hill today. Afterwards, I did a mini photo tour which I'll post at a later time. While walking around taking photos, I was greeted by a lifelong Troy Hill resident. After I informed him that I was a possible future resident he was very welcoming. I am going to negotiate with the landlord to get the price down and then hopefully move in.

Prior to moving to the Pittsburgh area, I lived in the Cleveland suburbs from 1994 to 2008. I am a mid 20's, young professional with an income of 50,000+/per year. I would encourage others to at least go and explore the area. With some investment, I think this area could really be great. It have some charms in its current state.

Thank you.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:09 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I've seen chain smokers in every city I've been to also so it's not just a Pittsburgh thing.
I've got to side with SCR on this one. When I moved back to Pgh in 1999, I was astonished by the number of adults who still smoked cigarettes. It just wasn't like that in DC. I read sometime during the '00s (City Paper or IN PGH) that Pgh was the second-smokingest city in the US, only beaten by some city in W. Va.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've got to side with SCR on this one. When I moved back to Pgh in 1999, I was astonished by the number of adults who still smoked cigarettes. It just wasn't like that in DC. I read sometime during the '00s (City Paper or IN PGH) that Pgh was the second-smokingest city in the US, only beaten by some city in W. Va.
Most of the locals I've met are natives and have been very welcoming to me. But based on my personal observations, SCR is right, way more people in Pittsburgh smoke than in the SF Bay Area where I'm from. I hadn't seen that many smokers since the mid 80s. Sad to say many were in their 20s. Would have hoped that young people these days would know better.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgold97 View Post
Wow. Thanks everybody for the replies. I have enjoyed reading the posts and have obtained additional knowledge in the process. I viewed an apartment today in Troy Hill today. Afterwards, I did a mini photo tour which I'll post at a later time. While walking around taking photos, I was greeted by a lifelong Troy Hill resident. After I informed him that I was a possible future resident he was very welcoming. I am going to negotiate with the landlord to get the price down and then hopefully move in.

Prior to moving to the Pittsburgh area, I lived in the Cleveland suburbs from 1994 to 2008. I am a mid 20's, young professional with an income of 50,000+/per year. I would encourage others to at least go and explore the area. With some investment, I think this area could really be great. It have some charms in its current state.

Thank you.
Welcome to North Side.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM

733 posts, read 987,155 times
Hey kgold97, I'm late to the thread, and it looks like you've already discovered it, but Troy Hill is a totally fine neighborhood. I'm sure you'll enjoy living there, if you get the apartment.

You'll have both the Strip District and the Central North Side neighborhoods right at your fingertips. Penn Brewery, Kaya, Max's, James Street, Andy's Sushi, El Burro...so many delicious meals await you, haha!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
What is considered the appropriate attire for a trip to the grocery anyway? Does it change after 5pm? Is a suit required or can I get away with a sportcoat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh