Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house in Crafton Heights and couldn't be happier! I initially chose Comcast for voice, Internet, cable, and security. After nothing but problems since 12/21, I'm switching to FiOS because this portion of the city limits is able to get FiOS. Long story short, be wary of Comcast Xfinity Security. Comcast has no contract on any of their services EXCEPT the home security system which puts you in a contract for 36 (yes, THIRTY-SIX) months. With that being said, the said contract requires you to have their broadband service as well. See how they do that? Not happy.

Anyhoo, Verizon doesn't offer home security, so I'll need another provider for that. Does anyone have any recommendations for home security? I understand a lot of providers do have long contracts, but not all do. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I would never get home security system.

I had a friend who temporarily worked in the offices of those companies, and she witnessed that they ease drop on people's lives.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM

130 posts, read 199,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I would never get home security system.

I had a friend who temporarily worked in the offices of those companies, and she witnessed that they ease drop on people's lives.
The only real deterrent in a security system is the signs. I've seen sign packages for $30-50. Other than that all a security systems boils down to is an automated way to contact 911 at best.

If your home when a break in occurs its only going to be you and the perpetrator until the police arrive and allot can happen in that period of time. Learning to defend yourself will be a more worthwhile investment and something you can use outside the home.

As far as your stuff when your not home lock your doors & windows and buy good insurance.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I just bought a house in Crafton Heights and couldn't be happier! I initially chose Comcast for voice, Internet, cable, and security. After nothing but problems since 12/21, I'm switching to FiOS because this portion of the city limits is able to get FiOS. Long story short, be wary of Comcast Xfinity Security. Comcast has no contract on any of their services EXCEPT the home security system which puts you in a contract for 36 (yes, THIRTY-SIX) months. With that being said, the said contract requires you to have their broadband service as well. See how they do that? Not happy.

Anyhoo, Verizon doesn't offer home security, so I'll need another provider for that. Does anyone have any recommendations for home security? I understand a lot of providers do have long contracts, but not all do. Thoughts?
Depends what you want in a home security system. Since I don't think home security systems traditionally work very well anyway (and false alarms can be a huge pain), you might get some benefits out of Verizon's home monitoring system. It won't call the police for you, but it would gather evidence if someone comes in, or if someone's snooping around your back door, stuff like that. Or let you know who is at the front door if you're concerned about home invasions, etc. You have to buy the equipment upfront, but after that I think it's just $10 a month or so, which lets you see your cameras through a channel on your TV or on apps, even away from home, etc

Old 01-06-2013, 04:41 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackxp View Post
The only real deterrent in a security system is the signs.
You can get those for free from your neighbor's front yard.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM

461 posts, read 748,769 times
We have Guardian, and I really like it. We installed our own cameras and have the monitoring system hidden in the house. I know that street smarts and being observant are the best line of defense, but I do feel a bit more comfortable, esp since I get home from work after midnight.

Congratulations on your new home, YoungAbe! I lived on Obey Avenue as a kid, and it was a great place to grow up.

Last edited by ebyrnes; 01-06-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM

268 posts, read 385,409 times
1. Guardian or ADT would be my recommendations.

2. Do not go with Vivint.

3. Whoever you choose, DO NOT get a system that just relies on running through the telephone lines. There are many documented cases where robbers case a house, then when people leave their homes and the robbers first step is to just cut the telephone line from the outside of the house before entering. By cutting the telephone lines, the security system is disabled and worthless....you don't want to have a system that is easily taken out like that.

Good luck, and yes making sure you lock doors, windows, etc is the best first line of defense. Congrats on the new place!

Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Per my previous post, do not go with Vector.

Also, NEVER get a home security system via a deal your employer is offering, regardless of whatever security company it is.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Per my previous post, do not go with Vector.

Also, NEVER get a home security system via a deal your employer is offering, regardless of whatever security company it is.
Why is that?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 AM

14 posts, read 33,088 times
I ordered my system online fromSimpliSafe. You install it yourself, basic monitoring is $15/month without a contract. The system can include a burglar alarm, fire, water, CO depending on your needs. The base system is programmable online via a USB key drive included with the system. Works as a standalone cell tower, via plug in ethernet or landline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh