Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times

Advertisements

Live in the East, besides, Mt. Lebo is a ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,836,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Live in the East, besides, Mt. Lebo is a ghetto.
The North Hills is poor.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 17,626 times
Thanks for all the comments. I guess I am looking at MTL because the housing stock. There are a lot more choices in buying in MTL then in Squirrel Hill given availability AND in price. So basically to get comparable house in SH compared to MTL, I am paying sometimes $100K more - I have to make choice is that worth it to commute much closer. We love living in cities and our kid is just under 1 so no school to worry about yet BUT do think about resale as well. I do like the fact that wife/child living in Squirrel Hill have better opportunities to stroll, shop, eat, etc.. in the city compared to places in MTL to stroll from the house. Thanks people.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM

14 posts, read 17,626 times
So a quick update, the #42 bus goes direct from MTL to Oakland for an easy commute. It takes about 30 minutes from stop in MTL to stop near CMU. It runs in the AM and in the PM for commuters. No need to take the T and transfer onto bus. You can print out the route online. Very easy. If you have transit bennefits from your employer then its a nice free ride to and from work on public transport.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,663,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcraider View Post
So a quick update, the #42 bus goes direct from MTL to Oakland for an easy commute. It takes about 30 minutes from stop in MTL to stop near CMU. It runs in the AM and in the PM for commuters. No need to take the T and transfer onto bus. You can print out the route online. Very easy. If you have transit bennefits from your employer then its a nice free ride to and from work on public transport.
I thought that route was cut in the last round of cuts. It's not listed on the PAT website -- did someone tell you about this bus or have you actually taken it? If you have actually taken it, I'm just surprised to learn that it is either running again or survived the cuts. My former neighbor used to take it when he was a student at Pitt and we had talked about how unhappy he was that the route was slated to be cut. I just want to make sure you haven't been given outdated information.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,550,109 times
I'm afraid Tinare will prove to be correct, that the 42 route was cut a while back and you have outdated info.

EDIT: Looks like it was cut nearly 2 years ago, in March of 2011, assuming several articles are not wrong. But if you know the name, 42 Mt Lebanon, a Google search will bring up a link to a 2010 PDF still lingering on the Port Authority web server somewhere.

Last edited by greg42; 01-23-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,836,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I thought that route was cut in the last round of cuts. It's not listed on the PAT website -- did someone tell you about this bus or have you actually taken it? If you have actually taken it, I'm just surprised to learn that it is either running again or survived the cuts. My former neighbor used to take it when he was a student at Pitt and we had talked about how unhappy he was that the route was slated to be cut. I just want to make sure you haven't been given outdated information.
Yes this route was cut and it is a shame what is happening to the bus service in the Burgh.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,890,821 times
In general, due to the continuing transit cuts in the region, it's a bad idea to buy any house based upon having a single bus line service it. One of my coworkers did just that with a house in Baldwin Borough about a decade ago, and Baldwin no longer has any bus service (which shocks me, given how close it is to the city), meaning she's one of the only people in my office who has to drive to work every day.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,456,700 times
The previous 3 posts make good points about bus transportation. It makes sense to live along the T. I used to, and loved it.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,308,465 times
Population growing.... Transit decreasing...

Why do I feel as if our local roadways are going to house the nation's worst gridlock in about a decade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh