Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 PM

8 posts, read 20,179 times

Advertisements

I am relocating with my husband and 2 small children and yes I know how amazing upper st Clair is for schools and parks etc. What I don't know is enough about bethel park. I know they have good schools but not as good as USC. I'm wondering are people who live in BP looked down upon by people in say USC and mt Lebo? I assume we will be meeting people through play groups, sports, church, exercise etc from all these areas and I wonder if BP is frowned upon in these circles?. We found a house we love in BP and one we like less in USC. I know everyone says location location location. But can anyone tell me is there a reason NOT to live in BP? Or a reason TO live in BP? The BP house we found is 2 houses in from MTL border and I don't want to be looked at as on the wrong side of the tracks by my neighbors/peers or more importantly my kids to be teased. Is this the case or is my understanding incorrect? Is BP considered lower class? Or frowned upon by surrounding areas? I'm basically looking to find out if I'd be stupid to buy in BP when I can get another house in USC although we like less? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Is there a C-D contest for funniest post of the year? I'd like to submit this one.
No kidding, I had to look up the OP's previous posts to see if this was a joke or not.

But since they appear to be serious, there's nothing wrong with Bethel Park. AT ALL. Wrong side of the tracks? LMAO! It's not 8 Mile in Detroit, it's a peaceful suburb. Gosh.

Bethel Park is like Mayberry to me. I lived there when I first moved up here and my family still lives there today. It's a nice area with very low crime. No one "looks down on it". Just buy the house you like and don't worry about it.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPittsburghSuburbsQ View Post
I am relocating with my husband and 2 small children and yes I know how amazing upper st Clair is for schools and parks etc. What I don't know is enough about bethel park. I know they have good schools but not as good as USC. I'm wondering are people who live in BP looked down upon by people in say USC and mt Lebo? I assume we will be meeting people through play groups, sports, church, exercise etc from all these areas and I wonder if BP is frowned upon in these circles?. We found a house we love in BP and one we like less in USC. I know everyone says location location location. But can anyone tell me is there a reason NOT to live in BP? Or a reason TO live in BP? The BP house we found is 2 houses in from MTL border and I don't want to be looked at as on the wrong side of the tracks by my neighbors/peers or more importantly my kids to be teased. Is this the case or is my understanding incorrect? Is BP considered lower class? Or frowned upon by surrounding areas? I'm basically looking to find out if I'd be stupid to buy in BP when I can get another house in USC although we like less? Please help!
Bethel Park has terrific schools. There are no bad schools in either district. Bethel Park may not all be mansions, but by no means is looked down upon. Its a very nice area with lots of Middle to Upper Middle Class families. There is no reason not to live in Bethel Park, honestly. Where I grew up, Bethel Park was where the rich kids went haha

Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
??
I thought the OP relocated to the South Hills two years ago...

Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Most of the time you are really only exposed to people in your own school district. I don't think you will have much interaction you are going to have with people form other school districts unless you attend a church in another neighborhood.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
I don't think Bethel Park is bad at all. Both schools are good and both areas are close to nearly the same amenities. Sure, more people with higher incomes might live in Upper St. Clair and some may think low of Bethel Park but I don't think that is the widely accepted case. Why do you care if you would be "looked down upon" for living in Bethel Park? Who do you know that would think such a thing. Goodness!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Someone who enjoys the cachet (real or imagined) of saying "I live in (one of the) Grosse Pointe(s)" may well be a person who will enjoy the cachet (real or imagined) of saying "I live in Mt. Lebanon" or "I Live in Upper St. Clair." In my lifetime, Bethel Park has never been a place whose name carries said cachet (real or imagined).

Growing up, I had a friend whose biggest disappointment (real, not imagined) in life up to that point was that he lived near Scarsdale (Westchester County, NY) rather than in Scarsdale.

Last edited by jay5835; 01-07-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM

No it wasn't a joke and being from out of state I have no idea. I come from an area where there is a wrong side of the track very close to a very desirable area so if you we're to ask this question of me I wouldn't think it an odd question. I'm thrilled to know its not the case. Although it may be obvious to you as you all are from the area I have no idea which is why I asked. So many people posted about USC being snooty so sorry if this seems ridiculous, this is a forum for people who don't know areas to ask a question. Thank you to all who answered.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM

Yes we were anticipating a move there 2 years ago but delayed it until now...

Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Someone who enjoys the cachet (real or imagined) of saying "I live in (one of the) Grosse Pointe(s)" may well be a person who will enjoy the cachet (real or imagined) of saying "I live in Mt. Lebanon" or "I Live in Upper St. Clair."
Sadly this seems to be one of those cases. I suppose we should ask if she prefers sidewalks or buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Growing up, I had a friend whose biggest disappointment (real, not imagined) in life up to that point was that he lived near Scarsdale (Westchester County, NY) rather than in Scarsdale.
Now that's funny. I'd guess your friend lived in White Plains? All the other towns directly bordering Scarsdale are Fox Chapel-esque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh