Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM

6,596 posts, read 8,913,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I think finding a yard may be trickier still. At least, that's why I didn't mention it. Even when they are not actually attached, the houses are very close.
Many (most?) of those homes at least have a small backyard or patio and/or a front porch. Something in the "technically Bloomfield, but really Friendship" section may work, but the budget might be strained. Everything between Mathilda, Penn, Liberty, Baum, and Negley would be the area to target. Homes in that area almost universially have yards and it wouldn't be tough to find a 4 bedroom. Not sure about prices, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,931,605 times
I second looking in Greenfield and trying Regent Square. Another neighborhood might be Swisshelm Park, which is near both. I don't know what the public transit situation is like there, but it's worth a look.

Demand in the East End near the universities and meidcal complex is always high and the houses aren't cheap compared to other areas. It's a very desirable area with lots of amenities (parks, museums, shopping, schools), which accounts for the scarcity of houses under a certain amount.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,621,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If she can give up the commute criteria, Crafton has some nice places in her price range.

Shaler is an option too. Actual Shaler, not Millvale or Etna. There are some 4 bedroom houses with big yards in Shaler under 200k.
I just bought a 4 bdr home in Crafton for well under $200k. It needs work, but is livable as it is now. Because I'm new to the area I have no idea how long a commute it would be to the university.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,481,853 times
Buying an urban home with a budget of 200,000 I would be worried about the size of the bedrooms, the number of baths and the size of the yard. Personally, I don't like Greenfield. I would much rather live in Morningside, Highland Park or Edgewood (although not in the city it is fairly close to Oakland). Depending on which neighborhood you pick will determine the amount of house you get for youir money. Highland Park is the most expensive of the three but would be my favorite.

If you are okay with a longer commute, Churchill these days has some suburban bargains. It is on the right side of town for a commute into Oakland. A lot of house for the money. There is a park and ride lot in front of BeulahChurch I think.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,629,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Personally, I don't like Greenfield. I would much rather live in Morningside, Highland Park or Edgewood (although not in the city it is fairly close to Oakland).
I don't like Greenfield either. I recommend it when someone wants something cheap in a safe area that's walkable to Oakland. That's it. Greenfield doesn't have much of a neighborhood feel to me. What little business district it has is sort of spread out and not convenient to the houses on the hill or the ones in "the run". So many parts of the neighborhood are completely isolated from the other parts. Even though Morningside has less of a business district, it feels more like a neighborhood. Morningside is one of the few city neighborhoods where the kids can ride their bikes on the streets.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,007 times
I live in a 4-bedroom house in South Oakland, with a yard, about a mile from CMU/Pitt. We paid in the $100k range a few years ago and I've seen houses listed in the general area going for <100k - 160k. It's an easy walk or bike ride to the universities and right next door to Schenley Park.

I just wanted to mention South Oakland as an option since I haven't seen it listed above. South of the Boulevard of the Allies has mostly single-family houses and so while there may be some student renters you also have a lot of old-timers and less of a college-town feel.

I would say it's a great neighbourhood, friendly neighbours, close to bus routes on the Boulevard, walkable to the library, universities, shops in Oakland and parks. We often walk to South Side too to catch dinner and a movie. I know some people bring up crime, and I'm sure there are some just like any city, but I've never felt unsafe at night.

Recently an Aldi's opened up in South Side so you could walk there to do groceries though it may be a bit of a hike walking uphill home. Otherwise there are some ethnic grocery stores (Indian, Mexican, Polish, Korean) scattered around Oakland and the IGA on Forbes. Living here you're close to many interesting restaurants/bars, "Downtown" Oakland, craigs street but Im sure there are a lot of other threads talking about Okaland, so I won't go on and on

Or you could also consider renting first if you'd like to get a feeling of the neighbourhood.

Edit: I just checked Trulia listings and unfortuately there isn't a whole lot for sale in South Oakland. I know a number of houses including a few on my street sold over the past year and you can definitely get some good bargains. Maybe as spring approaches more housing will come up on the market.

There is a 5Br 1/12bath for sale on Frazier street for $55k. I've always considered that far end of Oakland a little shady though. The typical advice is to stay as close to the Boulevard as possible.

Last edited by genxv; 01-10-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,525,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxv View Post
I live in a 4-bedroom house in South Oakland, with a yard, about a mile from CMU/Pitt.
Are you the guy with the chickens?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Are you the guy with the chickens?
LOL. Someone here has chickens? I thought that happened in the crunchy East End neighborhoods. I think I'm cool with chickens though. Haven't ever seen them in Oakland.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:30 PM

90 posts, read 130,885 times
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but there are a number of nice three bedroom townhomes on the market in Squirrel Hill for less than $200,000.

I thought I would mention it since it appears unlikely you'll be able to meet all of your criteria.

I can attest the walk from Squirrel Hill to Oakland is extremely pleasant (though Schenley Park, I've seen deer, woodpeckers, and wild turkeys) and takes about 35 minutes.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't like Greenfield either. I recommend it when someone wants something cheap in a safe area that's walkable to Oakland. That's it. Greenfield doesn't have much of a neighborhood feel to me. What little business district it has is sort of spread out and not convenient to the houses on the hill or the ones in "the run". So many parts of the neighborhood are completely isolated from the other parts. Even though Morningside has less of a business district, it feels more like a neighborhood. Morningside is one of the few city neighborhoods where the kids can ride their bikes on the streets.
I thought about coming down harder on Greenfield, but I've been spanked on the forum before for unloading, so I thought I'd let the OP decide.

In general, I agree. Greenfield is a suburb in the city - but generally speaking, a pretty ugly suburb. Both the Lower Murray Avenue and the Greenfield Avenue business districts are pretty sad. Despite the houses being old, there's fairly few Victorian gems there, and many of them are in sad conditions. Plenty of sidewalks, but they don' go anywhere, and the streets are steep, which is a disincentive to explore.

Greenfield has cache for exactly two reasons. One, parents move there because it has "good schools." Actually, Greenfield K-8 isn't much better than half the schools in the southern part of Pittsburgh, but it's perceived to be great because it goes to Allderdice. Second, it's where people buy houses who really want Squirrel Hill, but can't afford it. It doesn't seem worth it to me compared to other affordable Lower East End choices.

I disagree about Four-Mile Run though. Not that there are many businesses, and the houses are ugly, but it feels like a neighborhood, and it's actually really convenient to Oakland (and Downtown) if you like commuting by bike. It would be my favorite place to live in Oakland, if any houses were available there that were nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh