Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:59 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You succeeded in insulting your property manager...I might have dropped you too.
Calling someone out for not doing their job correctly is insulting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
The OP's first sentence states that she has a property manager. A property manager's job is to rent the property out. How did they not do their job? And, I'm not calling anyone out, or trying to insult the OP. It simply seems from the post that they were not very involved w/ their own properties. And, giving the OP the advice regarding calling a Real Estate attorney is good advice.

Last edited by JanND; 01-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: revised text

Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_jones View Post
Just cut to the chase and cut out the BS.

Tell them you will give them $2000 to move out within 5 days. Otherwise, you will evict them and they will get nothing AND you will get a judgement against them for all outstanding rents.

Most people will just take the $2000.
This is a very good suggestion...And, much cheaper in the long run.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
First a thread about evading taxes and now this? You live in Alaska, I doubt you can do anything that OP can't do himself.
Under his profile, says he lives in zip code 15140. That can't be Alaska.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Too bad your property manager bailed out. He could have shown just a little bit of diligence and pursued eviction in a more serious manner with a magistrate and let the sheriff do the dirty work of eventually getting them out. Sounds like now (unless or until you have another local advocate) there is no one local to apply any legal pressure to get them out. I hope they don't (or didn't) already trash your place or leave it with some sort of permanent stank.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Under his profile, says he lives in zip code 15140. That can't be Alaska.
He started this thread recently: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ittsburgh.html.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM

31 posts, read 36,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The OP's first sentence states that she has a property manager. A property manager's job is to rent the property out. How did they not do their job? And, I'm not calling anyone out, or trying to insult the OP. It simply seems from the post that they were not very involved w/ their own properties. And, giving the OP the advice regarding calling a Real Estate attorney is good advice.
You are assuming that the property manager was under direction from the owner to make the property available for rent. I have had situations with properties where it was a financial loss to have a property occupied, due to liabilities that would be incurred unless certain work was done. While the properties were in the process of being repaired, the property manager's job was to facilitate those repairs as my agent. During that time, they collected a management fee, as opposed to a rental commission.

Since we do not know what instructions the property manager was under at the time, and we do know from the OP's statement that they acted in a manner that is actually illegal in some states, (I'm not coversant on PA rental laws. That would have been illegal in the state in which I own rental property) I think he was very reasonable in his response that he demand the agent do their job. I can understand why he did not fire him outright, finding a new property manager can be a very frustrating process.

In any case, I'll repeat what has been said by others. Find a reputable local attorney to act as your agent to a: get the documents you need from the property manager, and b: sort out your standing, and c: deal with the squatters. I have some contacts, and if you like, can ask around for you.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanished View Post
Could someone offer any solutions?
I repeat what others have said, "Hire an attorney". Sometimes just a letter from an attorney is enough to light a fire under someone.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 AM

12 posts, read 16,036 times
Thank you everyone!

I was too naive imagining every PM and tenant are reliable and trustworthy. Totally my fault.

I'm in contact with a local attorney now and hopefully this could be over in a few months.

And to JanND, i do thank you for your advice, but your judgement is unjustified and groundless. Just because I wasn't able to show all the details here doesn't mean you could creatively put the whole thing together in your mind and make a snap judgement.

To sum up, it's the end of my stupid investment and no more trust in credibility.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
As a landlord in my previous state for 12 years, I can sympatnize with you. I am glad that you got a lawyer and will keep on top of it. The only thing I can suggest considering you live so far away is to sell the place.

Hopefully the deadbeat tenants and the PM who didnt do his job will get some sort of punishment.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh