Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times

Advertisements

Franklin Rd north of 228 is an excellent example, yes. There's a cow crossing sign at the one farm. Also the 1806 church is up that way. I'll have to look this up but I'm pretty sure I recall reading that certain farms will be preserved, on purpose. I don't know if that means "forever" as in can't possibly be sold for development even if the land value gets extreme. I gather that is effectively impossible. I know the one at Rochester and Rt 19 across from the municipal building will not be; there's a "For Lease" sign up, although they aren't building anything yet and it's been up for a couple years. They are to be purposely creating a town center-style development in there, so who knows. Since I don't live there I only pick up occasional news and don't read for every detail, but I'll have to look into how this is all supposed to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I think that be in Economy boro, Beaver County. But, it's a great place for a sandwich, haven't been there in years. I believe the name is Little Big Deli, or something like that.
It's in next door New Sewickley Township, Beaver County, not Economy, but yeah. I can't remember if I've ever been in there. Maybe once.

New Sewickley is the first place you come to west of Cranberry in Beaver County. Not sure you really hit Economy unless you go a little bit south of that. If you drive straight west you're going to hit East Rochester and other stuff without ever hitting Economy. I believe Economy's northern border lines up with or is south of the northern border of Allegheny County, so you can't go directly into Economy from Cranberry. When I drive east I hit Marshall Township. To go to Cranberry I drive about half a mile or so north of that, then east. The three-county point is that close to the places I drive through there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I know it. You've said that before, or at least when you've talked about growing up there I can imply that knowing what it's like now. BTW, the woman making the fudge (I thought she might not open the stand again but she was open right before the holidays, and a few other times; when I said I hadn't seen her she said it had been really hot in summer/fall which it had and also that her sister had died) told me (if I got it correctly) her name is Shirley. And she gave me a card that had been made up that says "Nana's Fudge" with an address 1142 Freedom Rd, which is basically across the street. The actual house where the stand is has had a commercial for sale sign up as long as I can remember now.

Double Wide Grill. They really went all out with the silly theming of that building. The original in the South Side is really in an old gas station. Really. I've eaten there once. It was okay. We have yet to eat at the one on 228 for some reason.

Chambersburg peaches probably. Some people are really gaga about the peaches from that growing area in south central PA, there's some story about why it makes for the best peaches but I don't remember what it is. McGinnis runs their own truck out there to pick them up apparently. My dad lives not too far from there and can get them directly.

BTW, I don't think I've ever heard of Deener's Market, had to look it up. LOL 9 years living over the border here. Some things really are still very local. And/or old timer. I'll bet a lot of new residents never heard of it either. They probably never go that far north on 19. "North? Why would we go north?" Hell I even drove by that today and yesterday and it didn't register. Might not be open in winter, not sure. Of course I wasn't paying attention to that so much as I was looking for roads to turn onto and so forth. How about that gargantuan church up there now? When I moved up here it was in the shed on Freedom (what I call it, a basic metal building, which you have to enter from a side road off Powell; the shed is on its third church since I've been here, like a church incubator).
Someone told me on here that the Fudge Lady is a decendant of MY fudge lady, Mrs. Breckenridge. When I was young, she and I had some wonderful conversations about our favorite book series Ann of Green Gables. She had actually visited Prince Edward Island. I may have bought her fudge, but sometimes I wasn't there for fudge.

Double Wide -- that was it -- it was okay... when we started eating we were starved and it was really good, but by the time we were done.... we realized it was just okay.

Deener's Market is owned by a woman I graduated high school with. I think it opened in the late 80's early 90's. If memory serves, Mr Meeder (farm at the corner of Rochester and Rte 19) was killed in a car accident, and for a number of years no one was raising corn. That's when Mom found Deener's. And she drove to Zelie for her haircuts -- she had a lady she went to for YEARS. So she went past there monthly.

But my mom was like that -- she also only drank Marburger Dairy milk. Swore she could tell the difference. And since I have a milk preference out here, I totally get it.

And that church is wild.... and the YMCA? HUGE.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
These markets, the church, the YMCA--these would all be interesting things to shoot.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Here are a few shots of the schoolhouse via the quick and dirty attachment way:
Attached Thumbnails
Cranberry to demolish 162-year-old one-room schoolhouse-schoolhouse1.jpg   Cranberry to demolish 162-year-old one-room schoolhouse-schoolhouse2.jpg   Cranberry to demolish 162-year-old one-room schoolhouse-schoolhouse3.jpg  

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,945,474 times
Quote:
Take a drive on Franklin Road starting on 228 and ending in Evans City. Very scenic.
Exactly. In the fall, this is one of the most scenic drives around. This is a very scenic drive and one of the reasons I use Franklin Road for almost all of my North-South travel in the township instead of US19 (I live way up at the Northern end of the township near the YMCA.... we refer to it as Canada).

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Exactly. In the fall, this is one of the most scenic drives around. This is a very scenic drive and one of the reasons I use Franklin Road for almost all of my North-South travel in the township instead of US19 (I live way up at the Northern end of the township near the YMCA.... we refer to it as Canada).
In that case--definitely wait until the trees are blooming!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
In that case--definitely wait until the trees are blooming!

It looks great snow covered as well.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM

I thought there were some pretty idyllic scenes around there the other day even though it wasn't snow covered or trees in bloom. But there's nowhere obvious to pull off with the car in the places I want to stop. I guess I could do it by bicycle, but yikes, too many cars for me. (I'm not an experienced road rider. I have a bike but got it to ride more on dedicated paths and actually haven't used it in a couple years.) Most likely I'll find some places that could stow a car a little bit of a walk away once I get a better feel for it all.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 AM

Quote:
It looks great snow covered as well.
That's true--those snow shots with the vibrant blue skies are always favored by calendar makers and the Chamber of Commerce. If you have some fresh snow, go for it!

Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Most likely I'll find some places that could stow a car a little bit of a walk away once I get a better feel for it all.
That's the way I like to do photo tours. You get more interesting photos away from a main road, plus hiking around makes it into more of an adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh