Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM

23 posts, read 46,800 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, and sorry if these threads annoy you, but I figured you can be able to help me out. I'm a young professional, female, single and moving to Pittsburgh next month after accepting an employment offer. I don't know much about the area. The office is located in the suburbs and (from what they told me) the areas closest to it are Green Tree, Moon Township, Robinson Township and Coraopolis. So here goes my question: which neighborhood would you recommend? I'm having a hard time looking for a place to live because I don't know where to focus. From what I've read Green Tree is closest to Downtown, which is a plus but the other neighborhoods aren't too far either. Something very important is the commuting time and having access to grocery stores, restaurants, nice places to visit, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
I just bought a house in Crafton, very near Green Tree. I'm from SF, CA. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Driver View Post
Hello everyone, and sorry if these threads annoy you, but I figured you can be able to help me out. I'm a young professional, female, single and moving to Pittsburgh next month after accepting an employment offer. I don't know much about the area. The office is located in the suburbs and (from what they told me) the areas closest to it are Green Tree, Moon Township, Robinson Township and Coraopolis. So here goes my question: which neighborhood would you recommend? I'm having a hard time looking for a place to live because I don't know where to focus. From what I've read Green Tree is closest to Downtown, which is a plus but the other neighborhoods aren't too far either. Something very important is the commuting time and having access to grocery stores, restaurants, nice places to visit, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
All of the areas you listed are suburbs, not in Pittsburgh itself. Moon and Robinson are very suburban in nature, although they do have Robinson Town Center, which is a monstrous jumble of strip malls and chain restaurants. Green Tree is more of an old-style, first-ring suburb, although it's still a place you'll need to drive. Coraopolis is a run-down mill town - it's not unsafe, and it is pretty walkable, but it's also kinda dead as far as nightlife and the like is concerned.

I would presume, being young and single, you want to live in the city proper. South Side may be an option which you would find attractive, as it's by far the nightlife center of Pittsburgh. However, it might be a bit too wild for you. Mount Washington may also be an option, depending on if your office is more towards Green Tree than the Moon/Robinson area.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I would presume, being young and single, you want to live in the city proper.
Why would you presume that? She wants an easy commute and to be near shopping. The "monstrous jumble" of malls might be her nirvana.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I would presume, being young and single, you want to live in the city proper. .
Why, when I was young and single all the really hot chicks lived in the 'burbs.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:15 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why would you presume that? She wants an easy commute and to be near shopping. The "monstrous jumble" of malls might be her nirvana.

1. She talks about the suburbs listed as "neighborhoods"

2. She mentions proximity to downtown.

Also, I think it's a fair assumption by being close to dining, she doesn't mean Applebees and TGIFridays. M

Maybe I did jump to a conclusion, but young, single, and professional usually means wants to live in at least a semi-urban area these days.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Close to downtown is a plus. Commuting time is more important. Our suburbs are close enough to the city, that it's not like someone is in a rural area. She can live in these areas, have a quick commute to work, and still be downtown within 15 minutes for any events and dining she wishes to have on the evenings and weekends. And our suburbs are so darn close to downtown that they might as well be neighborhoods. It's semantics sometimes. Aspinwall is a suburb, but it's literally across the river. All of the northern suburbs are literally across the river. Greentree is just through the tunnels. Have you ever driven from downtown to Greentree in the evenings or weekends? It literally takes 5 minutes.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Why, when I was young and single all the really hot chicks lived in the 'burbs.
I hate to break this to you but it's not 1978 anymore.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I hate to break this to you but it's not 1978 anymore.
Ah, 1978, a great year for bell bottom pants.

To the OP, nothing wrong with the Robinson-Moon area. I'm always amazed at the number of people at the restaurants at the Pointe. SRO on weekends.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Two things that may be overlooked here because they're second nature to us, but the OP won't know, in addition to the fact that all three of those are suburbs and not city neighborhoods.

1. Any tunnel will screw up traffic far worse than you would think. Nobody really knows why. If the job is in that area, then you want to be on the same side of the Pitt Tunnel (which is the tunnel immediately west of downtown) if you want a good commute time.
2. People ask about new construction in the city a lot, where "new" = "built in the last 25 years". There isn't that much. What there is a lot of in the city are what people call "places with character" - old Victorians that have been split out into eight apartments, possibly with limited soundproofing, but in great walkable neighborhoods. If you want a place that's newish, with a usable kitchen and possibly a washer/dryer in the unit, but part of a big complex and things are all kind of beige, it's easier to find that in a suburb like Robinson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh