Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,978 times

Advertisements

Anyway...back to the mayoral election...I hope DeSantis wins...but I don't think that will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:03 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
The only one who knows how the city should be run is Bill Peduto. Everyone else spouts rhetoric.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 AM

67 posts, read 221,273 times
Default Living in Pittsburgh City vs. the Suburbs

I thought for a moment that the statement "everyone is leaving the city" could have meant everyone is leaving the city for the suburbs, which is an interesting argument, but outdated and also not true, because people are moving into the ciy from the suburbs - at least that is what I think.

Under DeSantis we may end up combining the city and county governments anyway, which would end the distinctions once and for all.

This is an interesting proposal that I hope passes after DeSantis is elected -those against it would hopefully come to realize that a vibrant but safe city with its act together is the only way to have growth in the suburbs.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 6,584 times
I have to agree with those saying that people are actually staying. I went to CMU, and back in my early undergrad days (as recent as 2001), staying in Pittsburgh was a joke, not even in the conversation. Now, when I ask my friends who are graduating if they stay, even if they say "no," they don't scoff. And a lot say they are or are considering it. They respect it as a tech research hub.

I know that's anecdotal, but I can't say I haven't noticed the shift. I have lots of CMU alum friends in Pgh now.

Also: DESANTIS. PLEASE.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
This article was in the news about 3 years ago. Here is quote.

Quote:
The elderly population is shrinking because of a combination of factors. Natural population aging along with a steady stream of retirees seeking warmer climates are the main causes.

The remaining population decline is still something for public policy and local officials to address. Labor shortages now and in the future are a real inhibitor to growth and we need to find ways attract more people to come here. That is a very different problem from how we normally portray the situation, which is that current residents are leaving the region en masse because of a lack of opportunities here or unsatisfactory local amenities. The collective Pittsburgh psyche has been harmed by a negative self-image fueled by a history of outmigration that we cannot forget. We need to consider the possibility that large-scale outmigration is the history and not also the future of the region.

The rate of younger workers fleeing the region is a small part of the change in population. The rate of net migration of those in their 20s is perhaps something on the order of 0.1 percent per year, a very small fraction of what it was 15 years ago. That means for every thousand 20-somethings we count here this year, we will expect to count 999 a year from now. Is that what we are getting so upset about?

Even more shocking is that when compared with other large metropolitan areas, we actually are retaining a relatively larger percentage of our current population each year, more than Cleveland, Philadelphia, Detroit and even Miami to cite just a few examples. Try to convince the average Pittsburgher that we are doing better than other regions at keeping people here. He or she will surely think you have been living on the moon.
I also have a news article floating around that is more recent that shows that even in the last few years, Pittsburgh's graduate/attachment rate (meaning those who go to Pittsburgh schools of higher education stay here once they graduate) has been steadily increasing. So much, in fact, that we have a graduate/attachment rate much higher than the national average.

Seeing young people leave in certain percentages isn't alarming, anyway. Young people are fickle. In every city across America, there are usually young people who are leaving their cities for this reason or that reason, most to spread their wings, to see something new, to get away from "home" for a while. Hell, I AM one of those young people.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:51 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
EXACTLY.

(ouch - that really is a crisis)

And she is crying over the fact we saw less than a 5% drop???
It's only a crisis if you want or have to sell.

My zip code also saw a ton of speculation and riskier interest only loans. I got realty signs with reduced price and short sale signs all OVER the place -- and NOTHING is moving. When I 'zillow' my home, the only new sale is about a year old.

Silly me -- I was over on the SF CA board last year talking about how this wasn't going to be so bad and to quit being so pessimistic... guess I was wrong! LOL

Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,206 times
I have been a Republican for the last eight years. I was always a Democrat until Liberals hijacked the party. I am a resident of the city and have seen it improve very much in the last two years. If you lived in the city as I do, you would see this at all of the children's sporting and community events that we as city residents attend. The Mayor attends many of these getting to know the people.There is a strong sense of pride amongst the residents of Pittsburgh, and quite frankly we are tired of hearing from people in the suburbs who have either lived in the city and left because of status, or from people who have never lived here and don't have a kind word to say.

I, like others thought we needed a change. I was set to vote for Mr. Desantis until the residency issue came up. So much for keeping people in the city. It is not right, and once again a politician has decided that the taxpayers should just pay their taxes and like being slapped in the face. I will take a couple mistakes that had no impact on the city then someone who is about to ruin it.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMD93 View Post
I have been a Republican for the last eight years. I was always a Democrat until Liberals hijacked the party. I am a resident of the city and have seen it improve very much in the last two years. If you lived in the city as I do, you would see this at all of the children's sporting and community events that we as city residents attend. The Mayor attends many of these getting to know the people.There is a strong sense of pride amongst the residents of Pittsburgh, and quite frankly we are tired of hearing from people in the suburbs who have either lived in the city and left because of status, or from people who have never lived here and don't have a kind word to say.

I, like others thought we needed a change. I was set to vote for Mr. Desantis until the residency issue came up. So much for keeping people in the city. It is not right, and once again a politician has decided that the taxpayers should just pay their taxes and like being slapped in the face. I will take a couple mistakes that had no impact on the city then someone who is about to ruin it.
The residency thing is somewhat of a red flag for me as well.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
The residency thing is somewhat of a red flag for me as well.
What are you guys talking about? I've not heard about this.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
DeSantis said in the debate last night that city workers shouldn't be required to live in the city.

Residency sparks mayor debate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh