Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! My husband and I did that last year! Trust me, once in a lifetime is a enough.
LOL I remember when you did that last year. I keep thinking I'd like to do the Punxsatawney Groundhog Day thing one year--do all the stuff you see in the move like the ice sculpting contest, getting pie at the diner, roasting marshmallows by the community fire, listening to a great band at the community dance--but guess it's not quite like the movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:20 AM

39 posts, read 56,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL I remember when you did that last year. I keep thinking I'd like to do the Punxsatawney Groundhog Day thing one year--do all the stuff you see in the move like the ice sculpting contest, getting pie at the diner, roasting marshmallows by the community fire, listening to a great band at the community dance--but guess it's not quite like the movie
Nothing is quite like a staged movie though, still I want to go just to say I've done it.

I went to Macy's Thanksgiving Parade one year. People complain about the rudeness of drivers in Pittsburgh! HA! They should see people jockey for a position in NYC for that parade! If you're passive and quiet, you'll get pushed passed by those who don't care if you were there waiting for an hour before they woke up! Fortunately for me, I'm neither passive or quiet! It was cold, not raining at least, and my daughter was 3 at the time and sat atop shoulders for the duration and had a great view! I will say this though, I had taped it from home on the VCR and when I got home to re watch it? I was amazed at how vibrant the opening turkey was in the shots when in reality it was really washed out! Gotta love digital color! Glad I did it though.

I wanted to do the New Years Eve in Times Square but had a friend who did it and advised me not to bother. Not only does it get so packed that you can't move, but then there's no where to pee if you're able to move about. If you're in Times Square for New Year's Eve, you want to drink something in celebration, even if it's just hot cocoa or coffee. I didn't like the thought of wearing Astronaut diapers if I went.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttsbrgher View Post
I wanted to do the New Years Eve in Times Square but had a friend who did it and advised me not to bother. Not only does it get so packed that you can't move, but then there's no where to pee if you're able to move about. If you're in Times Square for New Year's Eve, you want to drink something in celebration, even if it's just hot cocoa or coffee. I didn't like the thought of wearing Astronaut diapers if I went.
I spent New Year's Eve 1990 in New York and we debated doing the Times Square thing and the lack of bathrooms was the deciding factor for us as well. We ended up leaving our hotel room at 11:00 and walking towards Times Square and could see the ball drop from where we were many, many blocks away. There were a lot of people around us, but we could move freely (and pop champagne in the middle of the street) and so it was still very fun.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttsbrgher View Post
Your friend mislead you. Time Square is very controlled and isn't nearly as crowded as people think due to how the police set it up. They have it barricaded in stages and police control the crowd, so each section of people doesn't get over crowded. You work your way up towards the front a little at a time when cops open the barricades to allow people through to a section closer to the ball. It is done very well. I have been there twice to see the ball drop. It was lots of fun and it wasn't a problem at all to move around.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I want to do Mardi Gras. We finally got to a place in our lives we could go and the city was destroyed. Still waiting for its comeback.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
I want to do Mardi Gras. We finally got to a place in our lives we could go and the city was destroyed. Still waiting for its comeback.
Now that is one huge party. Was there in the late '80s and had a blast. It was so fun with what seemed like endless parades through the streets, great music and amazing food. Not to mention drinking all while enjoying the atmosphere. Great stuff.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
AFAIK the parts that are most important to Mardi Gras (French Quarter, etc) weren't really destroyed. You should go! It's going to be really early this year.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM

357 posts, read 888,861 times
Quote:

I've never been there when it's dark. Is it cold when the sun goes down?
It (Phipps) is pretty well heated, so we haven't found it that bad (though in the evening it is less crowded so you hear the clanking of the heating radiator pipes alot more than you would if there were more folks there).

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,736 times
I'm glad that someone started the cabin fever thread. I'm bored out of my mind not being able to be outdoors after work for my nightly walks! Became my routine in the warmer months. Are there any fitness classes, church study groups in the north hills on week nights? Would keep me busy and also be a good way to meet people. I'm a transplant from a small town and missing my family/friends to be honest with ya! Need to make some Pittsburgh friends.

If you have any suggestions for things to do/groups to join near north hills area, please let me know. I've become quite good at shoveling snow and laundry, and I'd love to trade those activites in on something a bit more entertaining!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Is there a coffee shop inside the lobby?
Yep, there's a Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh