Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Oh IBM speaks for all companies....IBM hardly makes for a trend....but within the last decade you could list 100's of fortune companies that have moved, relocated and outsources a significant amount of jobs/department functions from their HQ'd cities to other locations.

Because now its far more feasible and relevant to do so.
No, IBM doesn't speak for all companies; it was just one example. But corporate transfers were a way of life for some in the 60s. Hopes and I both spoke of our families' experiences, and I don't think her father worked for IBM.

BTW, when my father was transferred to Berwick, PA, there was talk of transferring him instead to Provo, Utah. That probably would have been more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, IBM doesn't speak for all companies; it was just one example. But corporate transfers were a way of life for some in the 60s. Hopes and I both spoke of our families' experiences, and I don't think her father worked for IBM.

BTW, when my father was transferred to Berwick, PA, there was talk of transferring him instead to Provo, Utah. That probably would have been more fun.
Still that offers no counter evidence that 60's had nearly the same levels of relocation and outsourcing that you're seeing in the present decade. It's almost become the norm now, it was NOT the norm back then.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
The difference between then and now is that then a lot of people were transferred. Now, people move because they switch jobs not because they got transferred.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Still that offers no counter evidence that 60's had nearly the same levels of relocation and outsourcing that you're seeing in the present decade. It's almost become the norm now, it was NOT the norm back then.

This whole line started because you said, "...where as 20/30 years ago people didn't move out of their own Counties let alone to another city because it wasn't made as easily." This stuck several people as absurd and I notice that you've not returned to it either. It's a very different claim from the one you are making now.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The difference between then and now is that then a lot of people were transferred. Now, people move because they switch jobs not because they got transferred.
Thirty years ago was 1983 - people would have been lucky to get a transfer and not a pink slip. I can agree with the sentiment if not the facts of the OP though - of the people I know who are college educated, hardly any of them live anywhere near both their college and their hometown. It doesn't do a whole lot for a person's ability to put down roots.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
There is a lot of transferring in large manufacturing companies like GM, US Steel, GE, etc. I grew up in a GM town (in the 80s and 90s) and people were always transferring between Warren, Ohio, Detroit, Mississippi, El Paso, and even Alabama and California. I know some people from this area that even ended up in Shanghi and Brazil and they all worked for Packard Electric Division of GM (later Delphi Automotive). My mom's uncle was transferred to Butler from Warren as some kind of mill manager back in the 60s.

I think nowadays there just aren't that many big corporations where there is a lot of moving around. Most of the people that transferred out of Warren were from this area originally, many went to YSU, some went to Kettering University (I believe it was GM related). YSU is well known for it's engineering program and many of the engineers from our area went there. People started on the floor in manufacturing, became foreman or went to school to get a degree (many times in engineering) then they worked their way up the corporate later.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Really any data to show that we had just as much Relocation and Outsourcing of Jobs 30 years ago? I would like to see that data.
Quote:
My father was a PPG executive. As I said, we transferred all over the world. We lived in West Virginia, Indiana, North Carolina, Holland, Switzerland, etc. I truly could go on and on with the list of places PPG sent us. When I say corporate brat, I mean corporate brat. We were moved more than military families until my father made it to corporate headquarters permanently. PPG was always like that. Alcoa was too. Alcoa has always had facilities everywhere. Same with Westinghouse. I worked in Gulf Oil's payroll department before Chevron bought it in the early 80s. We did payroll for locations all over the world. Don't even get me started on the history of the steel industry.

Your business comments often show what a limited view and grasp you have on the history of business. It's downright silly that you think these corporations had their entire industries located at their headquarters, and employees didn't move regularly from city to city or country to country. You want links proving things. Try taking a few economics classes. It's clear you haven't taken any, and if you did you were sleeping through them.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Well, I think it's safe to say that only the white collar people were getting transfers. Didn't know any lathe operators growing up that worked in Wilmerding for Westinghouse getting sent to Idaho. Although I did know a guy that worked for US Steel getting transferred from Monroeville to Universal.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Pittsburgh tech salaries fastest growing in the nation - Pittsburgh Business Times

Quote:
We’ve already touched on how the talent wars in Pittsburgh are heating up, especially for technology talent, and now it looks like Pittsburgh’s tech professionals saw salaries increase at the fastest rate in the nation year-over-year.

According to the latest salary survey from Dice.com, an online technology careers site, Pittsburgh’s tech professionals saw their salaries rise 18.1 percent for 2012-2013 over 2011-2012.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Didn't know any lathe operators growing up that worked in Wilmerding for Westinghouse getting sent to Idaho.
My uncle telecommuted to his lathe operator job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh