Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Well, I think it's safe to say that only the white collar people were getting transfers. Didn't know any lathe operators growing up that worked in Wilmerding for Westinghouse getting sent to Idaho. Although I did know a guy that worked for US Steel getting transferred from Monroeville to Universal.
Same applies today. Most blue collar workers aren't getting transferred today. They're expendable and easily replaced. They have to relocate themselves, like the steel workers did. There are industry exceptions, like oil rig workers, but those exceptions applied 50 years ago too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think you're wrong, in large part because a huge proportion of the younger professional (under 35, with graduate degrees) cadre in Pittsburgh are people who relocated here for work. If the local job market for professionals was so bad, you wouldn't expect to see so many younger people finding positions here.

If anything, I'd say that Pittsburgh's problem is there are not enough jobs for the non-highly qualified. This is one of the notable reasons we don't have many low-wage immigrants, for example - jobs are so thin on the ground that poor native-born whites and blacks take positions which elsewhere would be disproportionately staffed by recent Asian and Latino migrants. Indeed, virtually everyone who moves here (discounting perhaps people from the small towns outside of Pittsburgh who move here to be "in the big city") seems to be a middle-to-upper-middle class professional.
Agree... I think the problem is that some people have a different idea of highly educated than many higher-end Pittsburgh companies. Many high paying positions require a degree from a top flight department plus stellar internships. Here, that means Pitt, PSU or CM (perhaps WVU for some majors). Some companies (think software) won't even hire right out of school, you need the above plus a few years at a smaller company. The other option is to have years of experience with a spectacular work history. But for those of you just getting started who want to work somewhere high end, the university on your degree matters a great deal.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
If I had to do it all over again: Central Catholic, Pitt or Duquesne undergrad, Pitt or Duquesne for Masters or CMU. It's like the Mafia, only they make more money and have a great retirement.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
If I had to do it all over again: Central Catholic, Pitt or Duquesne undergrad, Pitt or Duquesne for Masters or CMU. It's like the Mafia, only they make more money and have a great retirement.
City Paper did a cover story a few years ago about how an undergraduate degree from Duquesne was tantamount to guaranteed unemployment, at least in the field you'd studied for.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
City Paper did a cover story a few years ago about how an undergraduate degree from Duquesne was tantamount to guaranteed unemployment, at least in the field you'd studied for.
Ok, but I know a TON of Duquesne grads that are doing very well.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think you're wrong, in large part because a huge proportion of the younger professional (under 35, with graduate degrees) cadre in Pittsburgh are people who relocated here for work. If the local job market for professionals was so bad, you wouldn't expect to see so many younger people finding positions here.

If anything, I'd say that Pittsburgh's problem is there are not enough jobs for the non-highly qualified. This is one of the notable reasons we don't have many low-wage immigrants, for example - jobs are so thin on the ground that poor native-born whites and blacks take positions which elsewhere would be disproportionately staffed by recent Asian and Latino migrants. Indeed, virtually everyone who moves here (discounting perhaps people from the small towns outside of Pittsburgh who move here to be "in the big city") seems to be a middle-to-upper-middle class professional.
Yeah, I agree, too. Plus, as Hopes pointed out, underemployment due to, at least partially, a change in general business structure isn't unique to Pittsburgh. For that matter, the word "professional" and phrase "highly educated" are practically abuse victims...there's no telling what some people mean when saying those sorts of things, and often many alleged competencies are overvalued or more widely distributed than people like to admit.

The problems of the low wage end of the spectrum is where the concern should be. The long-term economic implications are bigger if we have large disruptions in the low and lower-middle to middle income employment sectors than if some no-nothing MBA or self-styled 'professional' communications major (or whatever) is unable to earn the high wages he thinks he deserves.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Ok, but I know a TON of Duquesne grads that are doing very well.
That's good. One of the guys the article was about was a standup comedian. I didn't know that was a major at Duquesne.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
I thought you were a proud Grove City grad.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
To be fair a lot of that increase is just us catching up with the rest of the county in salaries but it's nice to see. It's getting harder and harder to find tech professionals to hire here in Pittsburgh, not surprised that's pushing pay upward.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
To be fair a lot of that increase is just us catching up with the rest of the county in salaries but it's nice to see. It's getting harder and harder to find tech professionals to hire here in Pittsburgh, not surprised that's pushing pay upward.
That is what I thought too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh