Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The level of misinformation surrounding this issue continues to befuddle me. There are three factual assertions in your post, none of which appears to be true.
He hasn't even gotten to the hidden provision where Luke takes away our guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
The level of misinformation surrounding this issue continues to befuddle me. There are three factual assertions in your post, none of which appears to be true.
1.) Public transportation cuts = less services
2.) Increasing assessments/lowering millage = tax increase
3.) Both the Tribune Review and the Post Gazette are reporting that Pittsburgh is "lowering taxes"

Again good luck with your property assessment appeal.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
I don't know about MLNorth's huge explanation, but maybe I am calculating this wrong? I am looking at an average here, not how many properties when up enough to push taxes up on each property. If you did look at how many properties had an increase large enough to have an increase tax, then the title might read okay, but I still don't care for it.

Old assessment:

$100,000 home pays $1,392 because millage rate as 13.92

New assessment:

$148,000 home is now going to pay $1,428 because the new millage rate is 9.65

This doesn't take into consideration the new homestead rate, but I could provide that pretty easily by just plugging in those reductions in assessment for the new calculation.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
1.) Public transportation cuts = less services
2.) Increasing assessments/lowering millage = tax increase
3.) Both the Tribune Review and the Post Gazette are reporting that Pittsburgh is "lowering taxes"

Again good luck with your property assessment appeal.
1. The public transportation cuts are because of state funding cuts. Local money wasn't been cut.
2. The taxes are not increasing on the whole. It is a revenue neutral reassessment and the math has been done twice.
3. The current PG headline is "Property tax rate reduced by Pittsburgh Public Schools," which is strictly accurate and not the same thing as lowering taxes. The Trib headline is "Pittsburgh school board drops property tax rate by 30 percent." Again, they are completely accurate in the headline and not claiming anything about lowering taxes. The rate of taxes is described as being lowered because the rate is being lowered.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
Here are the facts, as I can recall them:
  • Some taxes are going up, some are going down.

• In AGGREGATE, property taxes will be increasing by 5%.

• Property taxes on a slight majority of RESIDENTIAL properties are going down.
    Here is where the distinction between median and mean is necessary. Although the mean increase in assessments is 48%, the majority of residential properties experienced much smaller increases. This is because higher value residential properties appreciated more so than lower value residential properties and because high value commercial properties also increased at a much higher rate.

• The Post Gazette reported that property taxes RATES -- one of the two necessary components for calculating tax obligation -- are being decreased, which is 100% correct.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
1. The public transportation cuts are because of state funding cuts. Local money wasn't been cut.
2. The taxes are not increasing on the whole. It is a revenue neutral reassessment and the math has been done twice.
3. The current PG headline is "Property tax rate reduced by Pittsburgh Public Schools," which is strictly accurate and not the same thing as lowering taxes. The Trib headline is "Pittsburgh school board drops property tax rate by 30 percent." Again, they are completely accurate in the headline and not claiming anything about lowering taxes. The rate of taxes is described as being lowered because the rate is being lowered.
1. There have been many more cuts I could go on and on here, so it is a waste of time. (Police, fire, etc.)
2. I will believe it when I see the new revenue numbers after taxes have been collected.
3. Property tax rate reduced does not mean lower taxes to the reader, what world are you living in?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post

Old assessment:

$100,000 home pays $1,392 because millage rate as 13.92

New assessment:

$148,000 home is now going to pay $1,428 because the new millage rate is 9.65
This is correct. But to take it a step further:

1428 / 1392 - 1 = 2.59% increase.

More importantly, what you need to realize is that the number of properties above the 48% average is not necessarily equal to the number of properties below the 48% average, which means that even though a property that appreciated at the average rate of 48% will see a 2.59% increase in taxes, that doesn't mean that most - or even half - of the property owners in the city will see that same increase. In fact, the way the assessments have turned out, most will see a lower increase in tax obligation than the average, and some will even see their taxes go down.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
3. Property tax rate reduced does not mean lower taxes to the reader, what world are you living in?
I went to Catholic school. I know the difference between a rate and the product of that rate and another number.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I went to Catholic school. I know the difference between a rate and the product of that rate and another number.
I could care less about what you know, I am talking about media sensationalism and the average reader who may only read the headline and celebrate their decreased taxes.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
2. I will believe it when I see the new revenue numbers after taxes have been collected.
You don't need to see the revenue numbers. It can all be proved with 5th grade arithmetic.

Quote:
Perhaps to a reader who doesn't understand the basic intricacies of property taxes, but that's not an excuse for a newspaper to avoid printing something that is 100% accurate, or even worse to print something that is altogether inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh