Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,685,328 times

Advertisements

If you want a cheap date night in Greensburg, come in the summer and attend one of the free concerts in St. Clair Park. SummerSounds - Greensburg's Concerts in the Park

If you come on the second Friday of the month, you can hit up Art on Tap at the Westmoreland Museum of American Art beforehand. For $7 you get admission to the museum, two drink tickets, and some light entertainment. Westmoreland Museum of American Art
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,680,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Is it close enough to Pittsburgh for a day trip? Or, is it more of a weekend jaunt? I'm eager to explore Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas. Greensburg sounds fun and interesting.
Very easy for a day trip. It can take as little as 45 minutes with favorable traffic.

My parents actually live near Greensburg and regularly take trips into Pittsburgh for an evening. Going to other direction, Pittsburgh to Greensburg, is also very easy. There is an excellent restaurant on Pennsylvania Avenue called One Eleven that I recommend to everyone visiting Greensburg. I think it easily competes with some of Pittsburgh's best restaurants.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Maybe things have changed in the last 10+ years but I never really thought of Greensburg as "glitzy."

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,995,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe things have changed in the last 10+ years I never really thought of Greensburg as "glitzy."
I was thinking the same thing. There isn't anything in the whole state of Pennsylvania that I would refer to as "glitzy." And I don't think that's a bad thing. When I think of glitz, I think of the fake glamour of Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Disney World, or Hollywood.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,581,583 times
I was more or less referring to the word as blending the modern glass and aluminum buildings with some of its more historic brick and limestone structures. Something Pittsburgh has also managed to do.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 12,516 times
seems like crime is on the rise in this glitzy town

Old 12-03-2013, 06:23 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,016,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. There isn't anything in the whole state of Pennsylvania that I would refer to as "glitzy." And I don't think that's a bad thing. When I think of glitz, I think of the fake glamour of Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Disney World, or Hollywood.
i think PPG/Market Square/extreme lower Forbes is, to me, glitzy pittsburgh. its the place i want tourists to be in that downtown in sundays before they leave town (this seems to have been the case this past summer and early autumn).

the last time i was in Greensburg was for a show at the Palace theater in 2010 (Queensryche - a horrible show, but anyway...). i remember thinking their downtown was lovely. it was, from what i saw, not nearly as dumpy as smithfield, fifth in downtown pittsburgh. why are the buildings so dirty here? even McCormicks - and attractive, relatively young building - its already charred with what i guess is vehicle exhaust. there are very old buildings in other cities that look so clean.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Those very old buildings in most other cities weren't drenched in huge quantities of particulates from steel mills for decades.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM

288 posts, read 509,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crssay60 View Post
seems like crime is on the rise in this glitzy town
Any statistics to support this?

Old 12-03-2013, 10:51 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,016,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Those very old buildings in most other cities weren't drenched in huge quantities of particulates from steel mills for decades.
drover - i mentioned McCormicks seafood on wood street. that cant be more than 12 years old. also, the software research inst. on Fifth Avenue in oakland, in the vicinity of St. Paul's Cathedral. that might be less than 25 years old. both dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh