Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Since we're on the topic of high-end dining establishments in Downtown Pittsburgh does anyone know of any places there where you can eat a nice dinner that doesn't necessarily require a "suit-and-jacket" sort of attire? I'm perfectly fine with a business casual (dress slacks, dress shoes, a button-down shirt tucked in, etc.) sort of dress code at a restaurant, but I never understood the allure of wearing your Sunday best formalwear to eat dinner when you run the risk of spilling or dribbling something all over it.

My two-year anniversary was recently, but given the cold weather and some temporary budget issues I just didn't have the availability to treat him to something nice. I'd like to wait until the weather gets warmer, and then I'd like for us to walk Downtown, see a show at the Benedum Center or Heinz Hall on a Friday night, and do a nice dinner beforehand. I was considering a nightcap somewhere nearby and maybe getting a room at one of the Downtown hotels, too, and then walking back home through the Strip on a Saturday morning.

With the topic of attire coming up anyways do people usually wear suit-and-tie attire when they go to Heinz Hall or the Benedum Center? I hate to sound culturally ignorant, but I haven't been to either venue since moving here over two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think that location will continue to house restaurants which ultimately fail.

While it's an area which has good foot traffic during the day, it's pretty dead compared to the Market Square or the Cultural District at night time, which makes it a fairly inconvenient place to go for dinner compared to other options.

IMHO, a more lowbrow restaurant which focuses on a lunch menu would do much better there.
There are two new apartment buildings going in right next to there in the old Verizon Building and the old State Building. That should make that area a little livelier past business hours.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Since we're on the topic of high-end dining establishments in Downtown Pittsburgh does anyone know of any places there where you can eat a nice dinner that doesn't necessarily require a "suit-and-jacket" sort of attire? I'm perfectly fine with a business casual (dress slacks, dress shoes, a button-down shirt tucked in, etc.) sort of dress code at a restaurant, but I never understood the allure of wearing your Sunday best formalwear to eat dinner when you run the risk of spilling or dribbling something all over it.

My two-year anniversary was recently, but given the cold weather and some temporary budget issues I just didn't have the availability to treat him to something nice. I'd like to wait until the weather gets warmer, and then I'd like for us to walk Downtown, see a show at the Benedum Center or Heinz Hall on a Friday night, and do a nice dinner beforehand. I was considering a nightcap somewhere nearby and maybe getting a room at one of the Downtown hotels, too, and then walking back home through the Strip on a Saturday morning.

With the topic of attire coming up anyways do people usually wear suit-and-tie attire when they go to Heinz Hall or the Benedum Center? I hate to sound culturally ignorant, but I haven't been to either venue since moving here over two years ago.
I'd start a new thread about that really, would be better, but some basic info is, for the first part, I think you can eat almost anywhere like that these days. Almost. Of course, you do so knowing that some people will be dressed more than you. Same with Benedum/Heinz. The symphony in particular I think brings out more suit and tie attire, but that doesn't mean you have to go like that. I don't own a suit and I've gone to a number of shows at Heinz and Benedum including the symphony and the Broadway-type touring shows. Late fall, warmer winter days or early spring work well because I just wear a sweater and that works fine. I don't feel out of place. Some of the old stodgy folks might not like it, but screw 'em.

So think about what kind of food you like or don't like, and maybe a budget, and start a new thread. I remember one of the times we went to the Public, our pre-theater dinner was Chipotle. (Hey, just didn't feel like doing anything else. It was midweek and an early-ish show at 7:00 I think it was.) But most of the times we have eaten at good sit down places. There are plenty of choices for no suit.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Agree with Greg. I've eaten pre-theatre at Nine on Nine wearing a leather jacket, no sportcoat or tie. And I've seen plenty of total slobs in Six Penn and the Market Square restaurants. I don't know if any place around town has a dress code these days short of the Duquense Club. Haven't been to the Carlton lately, they might be a bit tighter than total casual.

When we go dining out at a nicer place, I usually throw on a sportcoat out of respect for my wife, not the restaurant.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Hey, I thought you guys were good dressers?

Nothing worse, IMHO, then dressing for a play and having some clown next to you wearing a Steelers jersey. Show some style, both the Benedum and Heinz are high class n'at.

Went to the RMU lecture series the other night at Heinz Hall and some jackwagon was wearing a ball cap.

Oh, well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: