Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I said upthread, people mistake the reason Amish don't use modern technology. It's not because they believe technology is wrong, it's because they believe if they adopted all of modern technology, they would be integrated with "English" culture, and disappear as a distinct people.

To give an example of the difference, while no Amish sects are allowed to use electricity off the grid, some allow for home gasoline-powered generators, reasoning the electricity isn't the problem, the dependence on outsiders is.

On the other hand, all sects frown on phones, because they allow access to American culture at large.
They also don't like to get photographed either.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
When I lived in western NY a decade ago I had an Amish guy build and install some windows in my house. He told me that it was forbidden for them to drive a car but they could allow a non Amish friend to drive them around if the need arose. They do not use very many modern products at all because it is against their religious code.

Mennonites are similar to the Amish but don't get as strict where modern conveniences are concerned. So yes, it was likely Mennonites that you saw shopping at Wal Wart or eating at Burger Barf unless there is a more relaxed Amish community in the area.
Correct.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
When I lived in western NY a decade ago I had an Amish guy build and install some windows in my house. He told me that it was forbidden for them to drive a car but they could allow a non Amish friend to drive them around if the need arose. They do not use very many modern products at all because it is against their religious code.

Mennonites are similar to the Amish but don't get as strict where modern conveniences are concerned. So yes, it was likely Mennonites that you saw shopping at Wal Wart or eating at Burger Barf unless there is a more relaxed Amish community in the area.
Indiana County has both Amish (around Smicksburg) and Mennonites (around Brush Valley). New Wilmington has Amish in the surrounding area who drive their buggies into town and try to flirt with the girls from Westminster. The Amish and the Mennonites in these areas look and dress similar. You will see the Mennonites shopping at Walmart.

How did this conversation change from asking if Pittsburgh is extremely racist to a discussion of the Amish?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Cuz them stinkin' Amish are everywhere.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

There are no Mennonite churches in Beaver County and only one in Lawrence County, 23 miles from Beaver Falls. There are a few in eastern Ohio. In other words, few Mennonites live close enough to want to go shopping at a random K-Mart in Chippewa Twp, when they could find one much closer. Mennonite men are usually clean shaven, and they can generally drive cars. Amish men must have beards, and cannot drive cars. The incident I described at the Burger King/K-Mart shopping center involved an Amish family, including a full-bearded father and the family was driven by an "English" as the Amish call the general public. I have seen families I know to be Amish in the K-Mart as well.
http://www.yellowpages.com/beaver-falls-pa/mennonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I said upthread, people mistake the reason Amish don't use modern technology. It's not because they believe technology is wrong, it's because they believe if they adopted all of modern technology, they would be integrated with "English" culture, and disappear as a distinct people.

To give an example of the difference, while no Amish sects are allowed to use electricity off the grid, some allow for home gasoline-powered generators, reasoning the electricity isn't the problem, the dependence on outsiders is.

On the other hand, all sects frown on phones, because they allow access to American culture at large.
Some Amish have "group" phones, as in a phone booth, that are shared by several families. It's in my links.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-30-2013 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Some Amish have "group" phones, as in a phone booth, that are shared by several families. It's in my links.
True. I was thinking more about cell phones. I've sort of started to forget land lines exist anywhere.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:09 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Theres no way pittsburgh or Uniontown is more racist then ct... I did see some confederate flags, and its kind of awkward going through Uniontown but for the most part it fails in comparison to ct's racism.

CT is way more racist. Uniontown is barely noticeble and its only from the older population really.

I'm glad I left ct...

Pittsburgh isn't my first pick nor do I plan on staying here long maybe a year and a half or two years at the most but..I would come back and party here..

It looks like it has alot of fun stuff to do but I'm here under career boot camp which is work, work, study, work and more studying...*sigh*

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Theres no way pittsburgh or Uniontown is more racist then ct... I did see some confederate flags, and its kind of awkward going through Uniontown but for the most part it fails in comparison to ct's racism.

CT is way more racist. Uniontown is barely noticeble and its only from the older population really.

I'm glad I left ct...

Pittsburgh isn't my first pick nor do I plan on staying here long maybe a year and a half or two years at the most but..I would come back and party here..

It looks like it has alot of fun stuff to do but I'm here under career boot camp which is work, work, study, work and more studying...*sigh*
So where are you living or plan to live?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
So where are you living or plan to live?
I live in pittsburgh now. There is practically zero racism here in fact it almost feels really liberal.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:15 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
You have to understand that "Most" people on this forum that claim "Pittsburgh is Racist" have never lived outside side the burgh, and never seen Racism in its truest form. They claim Pittsburgh is racist because they themselves cannot get head so they blame society, you rarely hear "Pittsburgh is racist" from the Well-to-Blacks that live here, but Well to do blacks are small here so instead of there being a enclave of Middle-Upper Middle Class AA neighborhoods, we're pretty much integrated into the majority white areas. Well-to-do blacks don't want to live around Ghetto Blacks or Trashy Whites either.

Compared to a lot of other cities, bigger cities with far more of an AA population have far more a profound racial and segregation problem than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh AA population is small enough that outside of the Ghettos, Pittsburgh integrates its AA pretty well. Cities with much higher counts of AA, are also cities that are highly Segregated, Have far more AA living much more extreme cases of poverty than Pittsburgh.

As a matter of fact Pittsburgh impoverished AA's in Ghettos live better than Improvised Ghettos of other cities that I've seen.

Pittsburgh's Ghetto's (even Homewood) cannot compare to Ghetto's you find in Chicago's South Side, Philadelphia, Newark, Miami, Atlanta, DC, NOLA, Houston, even NYC's East New York and Brownsville neighborhoods....

Hell compare Pittsburgh's Ghettos to the Ghettos of those Cities and Pittsburgh's ghetto blacks live like Kings.

That's why when someone on here claims Pittsburgh is "extremely racist and segregated" you have to take that with a HUGE GRAIN OF SALT. This is coming from someone who considers herself to be a "Buppie"

P.S. Can anyone name a city where there's a substantial Buppie, Professional AA population without their being an even larger number of AAs living in Ghetto's. Seems like you can't have one without the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh