Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 07:12 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I live in pittsburgh now. There is practically zero racism here in fact it almost feels really liberal.
There are racial problems in some of the working class areas of Connecticut but the entire state is hardly racist. As someone else just pointed out a ton of people claim Pittsburgh is a racist region as well and I strongly suspect that these people that are quick to point a finger and yell that an area is racist may not always be correct. Unless someone is deliberately doing something nasty to you simply because of your color and says so, I would not be too quick to make such claims.

Example:

I started managing a Domino's Pizza store in Cromwell, CT at one time and I hired several non white people including blacks and ended up with a staff that was comprised of 30% minorities. I would yell at everyone and anyone from time to time (politely of course) if they messed up. Nobody called me a racist and understood I was applying the same rules to everyone equally.

Fast forward several years late and I am in Kansas City. I got labeled as a racist by these people for some inexplicable reason that I don't even know. It may be due to the fact that a now former friend that moved here after being born and raised in New England started to hang out with known racists in KC and it could have been guilt by association even though I did not share their views and after a while, I stopped hanging out with them. Other than that I cannot think of any reason why someone would label me as such other than pure ignorance and unfamiliarity with the way I was raised and how I behave as an adult. In any event, the damage was done and it make life terrible here and I certainly don't have any inclination to stay or even make any friends here or attempt to ever again.

The point? Unless you have real concrete evidence that racism is present, don't be too quick to judge. The people in KC and environs did that to me and it has nearly ruined my life. As far as I am concerned the people in KC can get lost and stay there especially since most of them are closet racists including those that are not white.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 02-02-2013 at 07:21 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Which part of the city did you end up moving to if you don't mind saying? How is the commute to Uniontown working out?

I'm glad that you're more comfortable once you actually got here.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM

60 posts, read 68,580 times
How do you determine the difference between "extremely racist" and regular racist?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM

249 posts, read 609,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You have to understand that "Most" people on this forum that claim "Pittsburgh is Racist" have never lived outside side the burgh, and never seen Racism in its truest form. They claim Pittsburgh is racist because they themselves cannot get head so they blame society, you rarely hear "Pittsburgh is racist" from the Well-to-Blacks that live here, but Well to do blacks are small here so instead of there being a enclave of Middle-Upper Middle Class AA neighborhoods, we're pretty much integrated into the majority white areas. Well-to-do blacks don't want to live around Ghetto Blacks or Trashy Whites either.

Compared to a lot of other cities, bigger cities with far more of an AA population have far more a profound racial and segregation problem than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh AA population is small enough that outside of the Ghettos, Pittsburgh integrates its AA pretty well. Cities with much higher counts of AA, are also cities that are highly Segregated, Have far more AA living much more extreme cases of poverty than Pittsburgh.

As a matter of fact Pittsburgh impoverished AA's in Ghettos live better than Improvised Ghettos of other cities that I've seen.

Pittsburgh's Ghetto's (even Homewood) cannot compare to Ghetto's you find in Chicago's South Side, Philadelphia, Newark, Miami, Atlanta, DC, NOLA, Houston, even NYC's East New York and Brownsville neighborhoods....

Hell compare Pittsburgh's Ghettos to the Ghettos of those Cities and Pittsburgh's ghetto blacks live like Kings.

That's why when someone on here claims Pittsburgh is "extremely racist and segregated" you have to take that with a HUGE GRAIN OF SALT. This is coming from someone who considers herself to be a "Buppie"

P.S. Can anyone name a city where there's a substantial Buppie, Professional AA population without their being an even larger number of AAs living in Ghetto's. Seems like you can't have one without the other.
Your own city council member said Pittsburgh is racist in a link that was shared earlier in a thread. Instead of making excuses and trying to trash other cities as you always seem to do so well, face reality and come up with solutions to mollify this issue.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Your own city council member said Pittsburgh is racist in a link that was shared earlier in a thread. Instead of making excuses and trying to trash other cities as you always seem to do so well, face reality and come up with solutions to mollify this issue.

Just because someone is elected to City Council doesn't give them any special insight into the matter and it doesn't make their opinion any more valid than anyone else's.

I looked for, but didn't find the link you're referring to, so I don't know which council person make that observation. But we've had a lot of characters on that body on that years, I don't give any special weight to their observations.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Instead of making excuses and trying to trash other cities as you always seem to do so well, face reality and come up with solutions to mollify this issue.
Well, the solutions to social problems don't happen overnight, so check back in about 10 years. In the meantime, enjoy Columbus. It's so much better there that you don't have time for us racist yinzers anyway.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Not making excuses just putting forth facts, If Pittsburgh is racist, damn near every city in America could be labeled Racist... 1 city councilmen doesn't define a city. Again people like to throw around the word without knowing what true racism even is, they use it as a way to blame society for what should be their own personal responsibilities.

And I have done nothing but list fact...those cities do have significantly high number of AA living in improvised ghettos.

Could Pittsburgh have more significant Middle/Upper Middle class of AA sure, but then it probably have an even higher number of improvised Ghettos of AA living in even worse conditions. Point is it seems like in order for any city to have a large number of professional "well-to-do" AA enclaves those same cities would have triple the number of AA living Ghettos as well...

Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Not making excuses just putting forth facts, If Pittsburgh is racist, damn near every city in America could be labeled Racist...
Looks like you're close to getting it. The entire country is racist. Not every single individual, but at a societal, cultural, and institutional level? Yep.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Well, the solutions to social problems don't happen overnight, so check back in about 10 years. In the meantime, enjoy Columbus. It's so much better there that you don't have time for us racist yinzers anyway.

Yes it is much better I lived in pittsburgh for five years so I know both cities

Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Just because someone is elected to City Council doesn't give them any special insight into the matter and it doesn't make their opinion any more valid than anyone else's.

I looked for, but didn't find the link you're referring to, so I don't know which council person make that observation. But we've had a lot of characters on that body on that years, I don't give any special weight to their observations.
African Americans in Pittsburgh: The newcomer experience | Regional Indicators | BUSINESS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh