Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:33 AM

101 posts, read 353,541 times

Advertisements

My experience in Northern Virginia was different. I noticed more segregation, at least when I lived there 5 years ago. I mean, there were more educated immigrants living in the same neighborhoods but I didn't notice much interaction between them and others. I think there was such an overwhelming amount of uneducated hispanics that were segregated that it was difficult to notice much else.

As far as restaurants are concerned, there are many Indian restaurants around, both in the city and the suburbs. I've been to Indian restaurants in the North Hills, South Hills, Monroeville, etc. Thai restaurants are almost as common though a little bit more limited in the city though I'm sure there are some in the suburbs. Not real sure about Afghan restaurants. I didn't even go to one of those when I lived in Northern Virginia. You'll find city restaurants in various neighborhoods like Oakland and Shadyside; they aren't limited to downtown.

Maaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
I think the point of this thread is to indicate the Pittsburgh lacks a lot of people from other races and ethnicities other than white or black.
I think the point of this thread is that there are not a lot of minorities in the suburbs. Which seems to be true. Denver is considered pretty much a "white bread" city, yet there are minorities, mostly Hispanics, in all the suburban areas. Pittsburgh's minorities are mostly in the city, and a few suburban areas that frequently pop up on this forum as places one should not live, e.g, Aliquippa, McKeesport, etc.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
Beth ann...

we did the opposite of you moved from Peter's to NOVA. Yes the big mix of diversity has been great for my kids. They not only have friend of all ethnic backgounds but also see what poverty is as well.
SW PA is just not a very diverse area. like others have said diversity there is more a black/white mix rather than a "whole world mix"

But NOVA(like NYC) is different from most places in the US as others have stated. yOu have the int'l government employers, you have our govt employees, Military etc... People from ALL countries have close proximity to thier embassies. ALL these govts have a support system etc... Then you have the migrant workers here because of the farms and orchards nearby.

Peter's is 98% white. we had 2 black families a few Indian/Pakastani families, a couple of asian families. We refer to Peter's as "the bubble". While the education is great the kids have no idea of what real life outside of the bubble is like. The call the kids that live in older homes of about 2000sqft the "poor kids".

But we have also noticed being here that so much diversity can also have it's problems. We have great ESL programs, and great IEP programs. But sometimes accomadating these students can slow down the whole learning process. The kids that are above avg. but not "gifted" are getting short changed and some of the avg. are getting lost in the shufffle.

My biggest problem with Peter's was at the MS/HS level. It is a VERY materalistic town. IT's all about who has the best cell phone, who has the best clothes and what kind of car you get for your 16th b-day. And if you live in the right neighborhood.

If I was to move back...I would problably look into the CannonMac school district. It's not touted as being the BEST in Washington county as Peter's is, but I feel it's a more realistic environment.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
I grew up in the North Hills and have been living in northern Virginia, not far from Beth Ann, for more than 20 years. Like Beth Ann, we have families from the UK, Mexico, Japan, China, Colombia, Turkey, Greece, India, Australia, Chile living in our neighborhood. No matter how you slice the numbers, you'll never find that kind of diversity in the Pittsburgh suburbs, for the simple fact that there are no embassies, consulates, international organizations (World Bank, IMF, IADB, etc.) and their satellite defense, security, intelligence and media private sector operations in Pittsburgh. DC also has a much larger number of prominent universities (University of Maryland, Georgetown, George Washington University, Geoge Mason University, Catholic University, American University) than does Pittsburgh. It's comparing apples and oranges, and it's not really fair to expect the suburbs of Pittsburgh, a relatively small post-industrial city that has virtually no international population (outside the university community) to offer the same international and cosmopolitan atmosphere as the DC area.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
It's comparing apples and oranges, and it's not really fair to expect the suburbs of Pittsburgh, a relatively small post-industrial city that has virtually no international population (outside the university community) to offer the same international and cosmopolitan atmosphere as the DC area.
Of course I would not expect Pgh (or many other smaller cities) to have the same percentage of international folks as the DC metro area.....I was just extremely surprised to discover such a lack of international diversity in the Pgh metro area.

It's not like Pgh is a town of 10,000 people in the middle of Iowa....it's supossedly a HQ for many Fortune 500 companies and also chalk full of universities, as well as experienceing revitalization amongs many of it's communities and offers cultural amenities, too, and has many medical opportuites.

I guess I was thinking that all this would add up to a little more diversity than 98% white.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,661 times
Quote:
it's supossedly a HQ for many Fortune 500 companies and also chalk full of universities, as well as experienceing revitalization amongs many of it's communities and offers cultural amenities, too, and has many medical opportuites.
Not supposedly.
Quote:
I guess I was thinking that all this would add up to a little more diversity than 98% white.
You would think so, I do agree with you there. Then again, I don't find it all that problematic, either.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:34 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaz View Post
You'll find city restaurants in various neighborhoods like Oakland and Shadyside; they aren't limited to downtown.

Maaz
oh, sorry....I was referring to the entire city limits as "downtown"

It is good to know there are some international restaurants around in the suburbs, as well. I also like Moroccan and Ethiopian....but, I won't even "go there"

Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,238 times
There IS an Ethopian resturant in Pittsburgh called Abay..it is very nice..next to an
Latin,African and Carib food market...many Middle Eastern resturants (not sure but
think there is a specific Moroccan one in town)...No Afghan ones here,lots of them
in NYC though..also some Bahamian,Jamaican and 2 West African resturants in the
city...

Old 10-23-2007, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 60,125 times
I second Agbor. Abay is my *favorite* restaurant in town. I spoke to the owner once and he said he gets the ingredients and the injeras, made by Ethiopians, from DC - so I'm sure you'll find it very authentic and similar to what you get in DC.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 PM

26 posts, read 140,305 times
Let me set the record straight - I too am from Northern Virginia and moved here a few months ago. I am used to the diversity with same socio-economic status that the DC are brings - My family is part of that diversity and it is very apparent at the lack of diversity in the greater Pittsburgh area. I do sorely miss that interaction with diff. folks, even though the folks in Pittsburgh seem to be very nice.
DC area however is a very unique place and truly an international hub, so it's hard to compare apples to apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh