Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I've lived I've always thought "If only they could do X, that would make such a difference." So let's hear it; what is that X for your neighborhood?

For Brighton Heights I have 4 things that are relatively feasible and would have a large impact.

Allowing Restaurants -- There are three empty storefronts on California which are currently listed for rent for just $500 or $600 with utilities included. That's a great price and decent location for someone trying to get into the restaurant business. The problem? Kristoff Agency's advertisemetns all specify "No food related businesses." So we are stuck with empty storefronts instead. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but I was very disappointed when I saw that I had to give up hope for new restaurants to move in.

Rebuild Davis Avenue Bridge -- Even if only as a pedestrian/bike bridge. Riverview Park is right there, but it's virtually inaccessible from the neighborhoods bordering the west side of the park.

Benches in Legion Park -- I'll admit this is minor, but in its current state the park is basically just landscaping and isn't really usable for any purpose. This is probably something that could be handled at the community group level since it is so cheap.

Public Transportation -- A T extension or leveling of 65 would be great, but keeping in line with feasible and realistic things, merely a bus route directly serving Oakland would be a big boost. More bus shelters/benches would help, too.

Last edited by ferraris; 01-28-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Great thread idea!

For McKees Rocks and Stowe Township, where I live now:

-- Devise a system to unload tax delinquent and vacant and neglected properties to new owners, forgiving back taxes that are owed, and marketing the properties. The problem that occurs in my community is that homeowners die off and properties sit vacant forever, accumulating back taxes and falling increasingly into disrepair. It gets to the point that the property is not worth what money it would take to acquire, since property values are already so low. This is the number one thing that I would suggest for my town and maybe the whole region.

--Find a way to handle vacant and abandoned row-houses without tearing them down. Tearing down a vacant row-house in a row creates a missing tooth effect and greatly diminishes the appearance of the street. I also believe that demolishing row-houses is expensive for the homeowner who, outside of the city of Pittsburgh, is reponsible for the costs of stabilizing their party wall (not cheap) and the structural problems which may result. While McKees Rocks and Stowe do not actively tear down row houses, this is a problem which will need to be addressed in the future.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

461 posts, read 748,824 times
For Marshall Shadeland:

Clear out the drug dealers, and get help for their clients; everything will follow once that huge obstacle is under control.

As far as the Davis Ave Bridge, I dream of a zip line or a gondola instead of a bridge (:

Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Everywhere I've lived I've always thought "If only they could do X, that would make such a difference." So let's hear it; what is that X for your neighborhood?

For Brighton Heights I have 4 things that are relatively feasible and would have a large impact.

Allowing Restaurants -- There are three empty storefronts on California which are currently listed for rent for just $500 or $600 with utilities included. That's a great price and decent location for someone trying to get into the restaurant business. The problem? Kristoff Agency's advertisemetns all specify "No food related businesses." So we are stuck with empty storefronts instead. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but I was very disappointed when I saw that I had to give up hope for new restaurants to move in.

Rebuild Davis Avenue Bridge -- Even if only as a pedestrian/bike bridge. Riverview Park is right there, but it's virtually inaccessible from the neighborhoods bordering the west side of the park.

Benches in Legion Park -- I'll admit this is minor, but in its current state the park is basically just landscaping and isn't really usable for any purpose. This is probably something that could be handled at the community group level since it is so cheap.

Public Transportation -- A T extension or leveling of 65 would be great, but keeping in line with feasible and realistic things, merely a bus route directly serving Oakland would be a big boost. More bus shelters/benches would help, too.
Keep us posted on this. I almost bought in BH. Really liked the area.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Devise a system to unload tax delinquent and vacant and neglected properties to new owners, forgiving back taxes that are owed, and marketing the properties. The problem that occurs in my community is that homeowners die off and properties sit vacant forever, accumulating back taxes and falling increasingly into disrepair. It gets to the point that the property is not worth what money it would take to acquire, since property values are already so low. This is the number one thing that I would suggest for my town and maybe the whole region.
This seems like it would be a win-win for local government and the community. Anyone know why it isn't being done? Lack of political will? Complex legal issues?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:16 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
This seems like it would be a win-win for local government and the community. Anyone know why it isn't being done? Lack of political will? Complex legal issues?
That's a good question. I'd say it's mostly the school districts refusing to give up the back taxes.

I think there is such a program in Wilkinsburg, it's just too bad that they didn't start it much sooner.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
For L'ville- get Bottom Dollar to abandon its planned store in Garfield and instead move into the old Plummer St. carbarn that housed Giant Eagle for so long.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
McCandless

Now granted, I live in san Diego now but I went home for a visit in June so.......

Upgrade McKnight road into a landscaped parkway. a median and sides with trees and decorative lighting, a grade separated interchange at Babcock/Peebles and Cumberland, the signals at Perrymont, Duncan and Arcadia can stay for now. Extend Duncan westward to at least Perry Highway. Revive the late 1950's plan to extend McKnight along the Pine Creek valley to I-79. Make Ingomar more into a 1930's town square like village, do the same around Perry Highway and Perrymont and Thompson Run at Duncan. Develop Potters Lake Park just north of Ingomar. Get McCandless it's own zip code and post office. Bring a linear park extension to North Park along Pine Creek at least to McKnight with jogging trails and bike paths. Enhance and preserve the old Harmony line corridor as a parkway for passenger cars only with an adjacent linear park along the right of way.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
The best way to improve my area is to be able to walk the entire area via nice sidewalk/trail throughout. That way if a family wanted to go for a bike ride walk/jog, they could just walk out the door and go. That would make people heather and make for better living conditions. Sadly most are just running around in huge SUVs thinking that is some signal of an outdoors person. Little do they know.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
The best way to improve my area is to be able to walk the entire area via nice sidewalk/trail throughout. That way if a family wanted to go for a bike ride walk/jog, they could just walk out the door and go. That would make people heather and make for better living conditions. Sadly most are just running around in huge SUVs thinking that is some signal of an outdoors person. Little do they know.
Do you think most people in Fox Chapel are just indifferent towards this sort of thing, or would they actually be against it due to privacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh