Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirlpgh View Post
thanks everyone.
i really want small (it's only me & I don't plan on adding a partner or otherwise for a good number of years) and I don't want a yard - so while those can be negatives for a lot of ppl, it works for me.
i did notice they had basically tried to "flip" the property..
someone had mentioned there's no parking? how does that work then - I can't even park on the street?

You'd have to park on 41st Street or in Almond Way, and walk a short distance if you moved to the Eden property.

Parking is getting tighter, particularly between 40 and 44 St. Teachers at the Arsenal School park on the side streets, the area is getting wealthier with more cars, and some folks use the streets in the area as a "park and ride" to town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
thanks everyone.
i really want small (it's only me & I don't plan on adding a partner or otherwise for a good number of years) and I don't want a yard - so while those can be negatives for a lot of ppl, it works for me.
someone had mentioned there's no parking? how does that work then - I can't even park on the street?

phew. good thing I started this search so early compared to when I need to move. I never thought it would take as long as it has...
Those things may not be negatives to you personally, but you can still refer to them as negatives when negotiating the price.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
thanks everyone.
Fine. Beware that you may be overpaying for the property however. If you stay there for the long haul I'm sure you'll make money in the end.

Quote:
Eden Way is a very narrow alley directly behind Butler Street. Most of the other alleys in Lawrenceville are wide enough that you can park a car on one side of the street, just barely, particularly if you put the wheels up on the curb, but Eden is so narrow that's impossible.

Note you also come directly out of your front steps into the street. There's no sidewalk. 95% of the time this won't be a big deal, because it's not heavily trafficked, but as there are rear garages to a lot of the buildings on Butler, it happens from time to time.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
As others have mentioned, you can park on any public street, but the alley where the house is located is too narrow to park immediately near where you live.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
thanks everyone.

phew. good thing I started this search so early compared to when I need to move. I never thought it would take as long as it has...
If you haven't already done so, get a realtor who specializes in the neighborhoods you're interested in. S/he can take you see properties in your price range, give you info on comparable sales (comps), and may know of properties that will be coming on the market so you can see them before they are advertised. I just moved to Pittsburgh from CA and the entire house hunting process was so much easier because I was working with a good realtor. Be sure to ask for and check the references of any realtor you are thinking of working with. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
It truly blows my mind how rapidly housing values have been appreciating here in the East End. Even Polish Hill, which most of you consider to be "ugly", is now out of my budget.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Fine. Beware that you may be overpaying for the property however. If you stay there for the long haul I'm sure you'll make money in the end.

Eden Way is a very narrow alley directly behind Butler Street. Most of the other alleys in Lawrenceville are wide enough that you can park a car on one side of the street, just barely, particularly if you put the wheels up on the curb, but Eden is so narrow that's impossible.

Note you also come directly out of your front steps into the street. There's no sidewalk. 95% of the time this won't be a big deal, because it's not heavily trafficked, but as there are rear garages to a lot of the buildings on Butler, it happens from time to time.

A friend has a place on an alleyway in the War Streets and hates the fact that he can't park on his block.

Since, I am not the expert, are the "ways" still rough in parts? Wasn't Dresden Way, for example, fairly rough at one point?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Since, I am not the expert, are the "ways" still rough in parts? Wasn't Dresden Way, for example, fairly rough at one point?
It was five years ago. Selltheburgh said he has a friend who rents out houses there for $900-$1,000 a month, so I can't believe that it's that rough any more. Admittedly I don't find myself in Upper Lawrenceville much, and when I am, it's usually just on Butler Street.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you can't park in the "ways" in Upper Lawrenceville. You can on most of the ones around me in Central though (Cotton, Plum, Blackberry, Locarna, 43 1/2, Banner, Almond, etc).

Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Parking is getting tighter, particularly between 40 and 44 St. Teachers at the Arsenal School park on the side streets, the area is getting wealthier with more cars, and some folks use the streets in the area as a "park and ride" to town.
My friend who lives on 44th says that the condo development at the Holy Family church/school means that all the residents who used to park in that lot now are unable to do so, so that's who knows how many more cars parking on the street.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My friend who lives on 44th says that the condo development at the Holy Family church/school means that all the residents who used to park in that lot now are unable to do so, so that's who knows how many more cars parking on the street.
Really? They haven't even started construction/gotten all the zoning permits yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh