Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:14 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times

Advertisements

So you zip on down to the North Shore but you need to be back on Mt Washington... zip is a one way trip.

I like the idea of a Gondola from up there into the city. Could be both a tourist and commute option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Uh huh???

A zip line across the river obstructing air and river traffic. I'm sure they'll insure that... What could possibly go wrong?

We should also have a sled track down Mt. Washington, bumper-cars at the courthouse, a skate park at station square, and an X-games facility on the first floor of PNC's new tower.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 16,769 times
I really think the gondola is something 'outside the box' that deserves some attention. It's a commute option and a tourist attraction. It may or may not be technically feasible, but why not think about it. Pittsburgh needs more 'outside the box' thinking. We (finally) have the idea of development along the rivers going, and this adds another component to it. It could go right where the Bayer sign is -- now that is eyesore and embarrassment. When we have people from out of town in, we cover it up...As a Mt. Washington and Pittsburgher, I'm embarrassed by it.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
We should also have a sled track down Mt. Washington, bumper-cars at the courthouse, a skate park at station square, and an X-games facility on the first floor of PNC's new tower.
You're right, we should.

And how exactly would the zip line obstruct river/air traffic? No planes or choppers ever fly that low and boats can't be higher than any bridge clearances.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
As far as the FAA is concerned it would be no more than any other man made object. Even Guy wires on an antenna are accounted for. They would be marked somehow like a rope in a pool as there would be multiple lines involved.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
As far as the FAA is concerned it would be no more than any other man made object. Even Guy wires on an antenna are accounted for. They would be marked somehow like a rope in a pool as there would be multiple lines involved.
Ok... Here's something fun (to me) to pass the time. Let's think this through like people who make decisions would. We definitely will need multiple lines and I imagine lights like towers have. Will the FAA require permits? If so, what's the cost? Is there some federal water transportation agency (of course there has to be) and what are their regulations for this type of thing. What would the cities liability be if an accident occurred. What would it cost to insure this, would it still be profitable with that cost. How many months a year could it operate? Would we need to acquire land on both shores and if so, Is the land privately owned and for sale? Have we done an engineering study to determine if we need some kind of support pole in the river? What would that cost? Is it the cities best financial interest to build a novel attraction that appeals to 23 year old hipsters or should they invest in something more useful to the Eds, Meds, and Tech commuter or their families. ... If anyone votes for the 23 year old hipster attraction, then I would recommend the much cheaper and simpler alternative of bumper cars in the court house.

I vote gondola

Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 PM

106 posts, read 218,293 times
Gondola will never happen there. Would undermine the utility of the city's beloved funiculars. Zipline is gimmicky but relatively low cost. To low to concern air and could be high enough to not impede water passages.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
I agree with the people who mentioned the insurance. It might not be high as an airplane, but how high above Station sq. and the rivers would that be? how long would that line have to be?

Old 02-04-2013, 09:42 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconlegs View Post
Gondola will never happen there. Would undermine the utility of the city's beloved funiculars. Zipline is gimmicky but relatively low cost. To low to concern air and could be high enough to not impede water passages.
If a Gondola ever does happen, I doubt it would be in a location that competes with either of the inclines. Troy Hill to Lawrenceville seems most likely to me. It's a short distance and is mostly over water, and even the part over land would result in very few NIMBY complaints.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 AM

369 posts, read 463,000 times
I love the idea of this zip line. Relatively cheap to install, privately run, good for year round use, easy return via the T back to Station Square and up the incline, and will attract the adventure/adrenaline types who actually travel for a new experience.

I just don't get the gondola idea. I don't see it at all as a "tourist attraction". While a tourist perhaps would ride one - once - while they are ALREADY here for other reasons, I doubt it would attract a tourist solely for that purpose. Furthermore, gondolas are not available during high winds.

We already have something much more unique than a gondola, and that is our inclines. Do the inclines attract large amounts of tourists? Unless you have an 8 million person island (Manhattan) connected to another island (Roosevelt Island), or a huge global tourist destination where no other transport means is feasible (Sugar Loaf Mountain), gondola's are best kept for the major mountain resorts.

Do we really want these eyesore towers ruining our beautiful city scape?

As we know it costs money for demolition, so after they fail economically in Pittsburgh we would be stuck with these aerial eyesores as they rust away. Are we seriously to believe there is a market for this from say.. Troy Hill to the Strip District?

Quote:
Mississippi Aerial River Transit

Plans for the gondola were initially approved by the city on May 6, 1982.[4] It was developed by the Mississippi Aerial River Transit-Perez Inc., or MART-Perez, which included noted local architect August Perez III. In 1983, the Banque de l'union européenne of Paris provided financing for the project through an $8 million loan.[2] In foreshadowing the future problems the gondola would face, on its maiden crossing, after being blessed by Archbishop Philip Hannan, the ride would temporarily stall.[5] The ride took four minutes to complete and crossed over 300 feet (91 m) above the Mississippi River, and had a maximum capacity of 2,000 passengers per hour.[2][5]
During the fair, this was billed as the signature ride of the exhibition; however, it drew only 1.7 million riders, half as many as projected. Built to showcase a form of non-polluting commuter transit, after the fair the system was open for use by commuters traveling from Algiers in the West Bank to the Warehouse District across the river. By April 1985, the system would shut down due to low ridership.[6] Later in 1985, the Banque de l'union européenne would file suit against MART-Perez when they defaulted on the $8 million loan. As a result of nonpayment, in 1986, MART was ordered by a federal court to pay the bank $5 million, plus $1.2 million in interest and attorney fees.[7] However, MART never made a payment, and as a result, the gondola was seized by the United States Marshals Service in June 1989.[7] After the seizure, the system was put up for auction in August with New York City businessman Moey Segal placing the winning bid of $1.6 million.[8] Segal intended to deconstruct the system and relocate it to Corpus Christi, Texas.[9] It was intended to transport tourists from the primary hotel area to the Texas State Aquarium across the ship channel.[9] Due to litigation, the proposal to move the system to Texas was dropped and Segal transferred its ownership to the 7349 Corp in 1990.[10]
Following the failed proposal to relocate the gondola, the system was the site of several, notable local events prior to its demolition. On January 21, 1993, Christopher Vincent base-jumped from the top of the East Bank tower twice. He completed the stunt for the first time at approximately 10:30 a.m. and again later that afternoon at approximately 2:30 p.m. Each time he was successful in landing on the Mississippi River levee.[11] On August 19, 1993, four Greenpeace activists were successful in hanging a banner from the system that stated "Break the circle of poison" in protesting the shipment of toxic pesticides through the Port of New Orleans.[11]
By late January 1993, the United States Coast Guard demanded that the system be demolished if it were not being used. In November 1993, the New Orleans City Council approved the demolition of the system[12] and its demolition was complete by February 1994.[13] Prior to its demolition, several of the cars were sold off and reused elsewhere. Some of these reuses included fishing huts, a deer stand, and conversion to a bus-stop shelter. Most notably, The Olde N'Awlins Cookery briefly utilized five of the cars as restaurant booths.[14]
So yes, it would make a great platform for a Greenpeace banner, base jumping, fishing huts, deer stands, bus stop shelters, restaurant booths, and I'm sure the lining of several Allegheny County politician's pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh