Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM

146 posts, read 297,057 times

Advertisements

...yeah, I might be bragging. It feels good though when your real estate tax bill shows up and your house assessment actually dropped. I've heard from others in nicer areas that the assessments are going way up this year so I have no idea what happened... we live in a crappy neighborhood so I guess that helps! I'm not one to question the judgement of the "authorities" when it's in my favor!

Anyone else see their assessment change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Happy for you. Mine too... a little bit. Some other people I know went down considerably. Cool. But they'll cath up n the future. This is what Im thinking. There's no free lunch.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerunner View Post
...yeah, I might be bragging. It feels good though when your real estate tax bill shows up and your house assessment actually dropped. I've heard from others in nicer areas that the assessments are going way up this year so I have no idea what happened... we live in a crappy neighborhood so I guess that helps! I'm not one to question the judgement of the "authorities" when it's in my favor!

Anyone else see their assessment change?

This was the whole point of the reassessment. Many older areas were over-assessed while newer homes were under-valued. This, bundled with the fact that the millage went down, should be a big bonus for many. Then again some people that were getting a free ride for decades will now pay the piper.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This was the whole point of the reassessment. Many older areas were over-assessed while newer homes were under-valued. This, bundled with the fact that the millage went down, should be a big bonus for many. Then again some people that were getting a free ride for decades will now pay the piper.

Bingo!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
The assessed value of my home jumped from $23,500 to $67,000. Previously the value was so low I paid almost no property tax after the homestead exemption. Considering I hope to sell it for somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000, I still think it's undervalued.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:08 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The assessed value of my home jumped from $23,500 to $67,000. Previously the value was so low I paid almost no property tax after the homestead exemption. Considering I hope to sell it for somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000, I still think it's undervalued.
Shut up, the County may be watching.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Shut up, the County may be watching.
They'd have to know my address for that. And while I've mentioned a few times what street I live on, there's enough houses on I'm guessing no one (unless I have a stalker) could tell where I live.

Honestly, I don't understand why PA can't go to a system where you just pay taxes on whatever price you bought the house for (discounting non-arms length sales between family members). There can still be periodic assessments, but only for those houses which don't change hands within a ten-year (or whatever) period. Not only would it be more fair, it would save the assessors a buttload of time. I suppose it might making budgeting from year to year a bit more difficult for local governments however.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They'd have to know my address for that. And while I've mentioned a few times what street I live on, there's enough houses on I'm guessing no one (unless I have a stalker) could tell where I live.

Honestly, I don't understand why PA can't go to a system where you just pay taxes on whatever price you bought the house for (discounting non-arms length sales between family members). There can still be periodic assessments, but only for those houses which don't change hands within a ten-year (or whatever) period. Not only would it be more fair, it would save the assessors a buttload of time. I suppose it might making budgeting from year to year a bit more difficult for local governments however.
Fair would be requiring all counties to do a credible reassessment every year. Fair would be you can only sell your property for the assessed value, no more or no less, and if no one will buy it (i.e., it's over assessed by the county) the county would be required to buy it for the assessed value.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Fair would be you can only sell your property for the assessed value, no more or no less, and if no one will buy it (i.e., it's over assessed by the county) the county would be required to buy it for the assessed value.
First, if properties could only be sold for their assessed values, which are based on sales of other properties (comps) and which in your system would be updated to help a property sell, then there would be no reason to reassess annually. Right?

Second, I don't think that having the county government set all prices via a somewhat controversial assessment process is fair, effective, or probably even legal. The term "housing cartel" comes to mind.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Must be nice for those who had their assessments go down. I live in a crappy neighborhood and mine doubled, even though I paid less than what the house was previously assessed for in 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh