Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,281 times

Advertisements

I've been listening to the radio a lot at work recently, and I was thinking I would like to request a song.

Is there a top 40 station here where you can request a song?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Lemme do it before somebody else does...

ZOMG WAHT TEH FOCK IS U LISSNING TO THAT $HIT FOR THEY HAVE KNOW TALENT ITS ALL PREFAB CRAP THEY NEVER HAD THAT WHEN I WUZ GROWZING UP MUSICK WAS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>REAL<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< BACK THEN GOD I MISS TEH DAYS BEFORE PEOPLE SOLDE OUT PICKSBRUGH RADIO SUX RADIO STATIONS IS BETTER EVREYWEAR ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

OK, got that out of the way...

96.1 Kiss FM and Star 100.7 are both Top 40 stations, and they probably have their request line listed somewhere on their websites. You might also consider e-mailing or texting them requests too. I know a lot of radio stations do that now.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,218 times
From being a former DJ in college/high school days & still keeping in the mix with the current day operations of radio stations, I can tell you almost 95% of the stations anywhere are now voice tracked (pre-recorded liners), so the chance of getting a live dj otherwise than morning drive it going to be rare.

DJs can now do a 4 hour show by recording 20 minutes of liners each day and letting the automated jukebox choose and mix the songs.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Actually, setting aside the music, what I was going to say was: what is this, the 80s? And then of course the answer is yes, because the 80s never really left Pittsburgh. Making a song request to a radio station is something I basically haven't thought about since then. I don't even listen to the radio for music anymore, haven't in a decade or so.

A lot of the big radio is like Benzman said so I don't know how possible requests are. A better chance if you want to support a local radio station by listening and for making a request is WYEP. But that's not top 40 at all. Gnutella has given you the top 40 stations I guess, can't really confirm because I haven't kept up with all the format changes.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:30 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Actually, setting aside the music, what I was going to say was: what is this, the 80s? And then of course the answer is yes, because the 80s never really left Pittsburgh. Making a song request to a radio station is something I basically haven't thought about since then. I don't even listen to the radio for music anymore, haven't in a decade or so.

A lot of the big radio is like Benzman said so I don't know how possible requests are. A better chance if you want to support a local radio station by listening and for making a request is WYEP. But that's not top 40 at all. Gnutella has given you the top 40 stations I guess, can't really confirm because I haven't kept up with all the format changes.
...Way to go there, making me feel old and out of touch, hehe.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,553,922 times
96.1 is good for requests...the DJs usually ask for them on the air. Also, 96.1 does a lot of giveaways and whatnot during the day. To my knowledge, a live DJ is pretty common on 96.1 specifically.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
96.1 is good for requests...the DJs usually ask for them on the air. Also, 96.1 does a lot of giveaways and whatnot during the day. To my knowledge, a live DJ is pretty common on 96.1 specifically.
Nope, KISS is one of the voice tracked stations, as most Clear Channel owned ones are. Mikey & Bob is the only live show. Sometimes the others might pull a live show, but rare. If you try calling at those times, the line will probably be constantly busy except if they are doing a giveaway, where the office staff or board op will answer the calls.

Of course they hope you request a current song, which will come up in rotation anyhow at some point within an hour, but give them a rare or one off the list recently and good luck in your wait.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,553,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
Nope, KISS is one of the voice tracked stations, as most Clear Channel owned ones are. Mikey & Bob is the only live show. Sometimes the others might pull a live show, but rare. If you try calling at those times, the line will probably be constantly busy except if they are doing a giveaway, where the office staff or board op will answer the calls.

Of course they hope you request a current song, which will come up in rotation anyhow at some point within an hour, but give them a rare or one off the list recently and good luck in your wait.
I usually listen to KISS while at work. Mostly during the workday when they do giveaways I usually hear the DJ says, "Congrats to {insert name}" ... aside from giveaways, they could easily be voicetracked. Usually around 5, they do the Freakshow question of the day and air that caller too. I'd be interested to know what all they do live and what all they don't on a given weekday, morning to early eveningish.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:22 PM

It is up to the program director as to when they do live shifts. The morning shows are always live, but as far as the rest of the day, most of the time when they are "on air" per se (voicetracked) , that person is usually in the building doing production work (cutting commercials, copy, etc) in another room, so it is very easy to cut a quick liner with someones name and insert it to the computer system.

If they are doing a live remote, special event, then the jock is usually doing the show in person behind the mic, but the music & mixes are still done by the computer. In all reality, all they have to do is flip a few switches every 15 mins or so.

Now in some instances, many radio stations have jocks from other markets cutting the local liners. I can't remember exactly her name, but the girl who use to be on 10-2 before Tall Cathy was hired, actually was stationed in Detroit or somewhere and did her show live out there, but would cut the liners for all the other stations that carried her including KISS that morning and upload them to each affiliate computer, so it would give her a "local sound" in each market. I think 3WS is doing this right now with one of the male jocks.

Not as much fun now days for the jocks. They are basically button pushers. Back when I was in, we cued records and backtimed into commercial breaks and at the top of the hour news, which is a lost art now.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzman66 View Post
It is up to the program director as to when they do live shifts. The morning shows are always live, but as far as the rest of the day, most of the time when they are "on air" per se (voicetracked) , that person is usually in the building doing production work (cutting commercials, copy, etc) in another room, so it is very easy to cut a quick liner with someones name and insert it to the computer system.

If they are doing a live remote, special event, then the jock is usually doing the show in person behind the mic, but the music & mixes are still done by the computer. In all reality, all they have to do is flip a few switches every 15 mins or so.

Now in some instances, many radio stations have jocks from other markets cutting the local liners. I can't remember exactly her name, but the girl who use to be on 10-2 before Tall Cathy was hired, actually was stationed in Detroit or somewhere and did her show live out there, but would cut the liners for all the other stations that carried her including KISS that morning and upload them to each affiliate computer, so it would give her a "local sound" in each market. I think 3WS is doing this right now with one of the male jocks.

Not as much fun now days for the jocks. They are basically button pushers. Back when I was in, we cued records and backtimed into commercial breaks and at the top of the hour news, which is a lost art now.
I originally wanted to go into radio until all of that changed. I saw it becoming less listener friendly as early as the early 90s. Now it's just atrocious. Thank goodness for my iPod. WYEP is the last of the real radio stations in this market (not counting college radio)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: