Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM

29 posts, read 84,440 times

Advertisements

Hi, we work and live in Pittsburgh city.
Our employer withholds state income tax and local income tax.
Do I need to file separate city tax return?

Thanks for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Yes. It's all handled by Jordan Tax Service now. Since local tax is an earned income tax (aka "wage tax") and your employer has been withholding tax from your pay, most likely you will be filing a piece of paper that reconciles it with zero payment/refund.

Oddly they do not appear to have online filing. The city individual final return is the one at the top of this page: JTS, Inc. - ACT-32 Employer Forms Even though the page title says "Employer Forms" the upper part of the page has individual forms. This is fairly new, the first full year of this Act 32 stuff, so things are apparently still a little half-baked. You just have to file the final return by April 15 so perhaps sometime before then they will have an electronic filing system. I know some of the other tax services used by other municipalities are supposed to have online filing (mine does but have not tested it yet because, well, it's Feb. )

Old 02-09-2013, 09:48 PM

29 posts, read 84,440 times
Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes. It's all handled by Jordan Tax Service now. Since local tax is an earned income tax (aka "wage tax") and your employer has been withholding tax from your pay, most likely you will be filing a piece of paper that reconciles it with zero payment/refund.

Oddly they do not appear to have online filing. The city individual final return is the one at the top of this page: JTS, Inc. - ACT-32 Employer Forms Even though the page title says "Employer Forms" the upper part of the page has individual forms. This is fairly new, the first full year of this Act 32 stuff, so things are apparently still a little half-baked. You just have to file the final return by April 15 so perhaps sometime before then they will have an electronic filing system. I know some of the other tax services used by other municipalities are supposed to have online filing (mine does but have not tested it yet because, well, it's Feb. )
Thanks! It's so kind of you

Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 PM

47 posts, read 75,143 times
Did anyone get any forms from Jordan tax yet? I haven't but assumed it was supposed to be post marked by the end of January

Old 02-10-2013, 06:51 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantthinkofanick View Post
Did anyone get any forms from Jordan tax yet? I haven't but assumed it was supposed to be post marked by the end of January
I have no idea of their procedures, but it seems like they are behind a bit, at least assuming you lived in the same area last year. I got a form from Berkheimer in December I think it was (might have been earlier!) because they were being proactive with a switchover. I'm in an area that was served by Centax, which went under (my understanding is at least at the end they were collecting tax from people but not remitting it to the taxing authorities). So even though they had to kind of hastily take over we still got a form in the mail very early.

Expect a little confusion this year, especially if you don't live in the same municipality as you work. I can tell you from the employer end that Jordan has not been entirely on the ball about everything so far.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Jordan tax service took over in McCandless, put quite a few employees out of work. One of Fasty Eddy Rendall's last piece of work.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:

Received the form for city wage tax yesterday.

Seems to be quite an improvement over the old city wage tax form- a lot simpler, and the tone of the language on the form is a lot more civil and less bossy.

No one really likes to pay taxes I guess.
With all of the bold "you MUST do this or that" on the old form and confusing instructions, the Jordan form is a breeze with a better attitude.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
My family and I all got ours yesterday too.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
We just got ours on Saturday also. Considering it's practically March, and I had my state and Federal tax returns done weeks ago I'm a bit disappointed.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Quote:
Yes, ours came last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh