Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM

288 posts, read 511,191 times

Advertisements

How is the 900 block of South Avenue in Wilkinsburg? I know it looks pretty ugly, but potentially have a good opportunity to buy a house there for cheap. Would you be able to rent out a house there? If so, what would be the going rate for a 5-6 bedroom house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,177 times
I'll let the Hamnett Place experts give you a more definite answer as it's fairly close to that part of town, but unless things changed significantly in the past 3-4 years I'd say it would take quite an urban pioneer. I wouldn't live there with my kids.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I would not buy a large place in Wilkinsburg with only the intention of renting it out. It will be difficult to find a tenant interested in that large of a house, and any you do find are likely to be problematic. In general, a family is only going to chose to live in the Wilkinsburg School District if they can't afford anywhere else, that's really not an ideal situation for your tenant to be in. Even though that area is starting to attract some urban pioneers, they probably aren't going to be renting. They will buy their own cheap house.

Basically your target demographic would have to be someone with a large enough family to need a 5 or 6 bedroom house and enough cash to use private schools for all of their kids, AND this well-to-do person must also be okay with living in a place like Wilkinsburg. If you price it low enough you might find some sort of urban pioneer, young professional, or couple that would be interested in it, especially if the house is historic, but even that would be difficult since it sounds like it's just too large for one or two people to be interested in it.

Your best bet financially would be to split the place up into multiple apartments, but that's not such a cheap prospect.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:50 PM

288 posts, read 511,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I would not buy a large place in Wilkinsburg with only the intention of renting it out. It will be difficult to find a tenant interested in that large of a house, and any you do find are likely to be problematic. In general, a family is only going to chose to live in the Wilkinsburg School District if they can't afford anywhere else, that's really not an ideal situation for your tenant to be in. Even though that area is starting to attract some urban pioneers, they probably aren't going to be renting. They will buy their own cheap house.

Basically your target demographic would have to be someone with a large enough family to need a 5 or 6 bedroom house and enough cash to use private schools for all of their kids, AND this well-to-do person must also be okay with living in a place like Wilkinsburg. If you price it low enough you might find some sort of urban pioneer, young professional, or couple that would be interested in it, especially if the house is historic, but even that would be difficult since it sounds like it's just too large for one or two people to be interested in it.

Your best bet financially would be to split the place up into multiple apartments, but that's not such a cheap prospect.
That was my exact thought. Turning it into a duplex would probably be pretty easy, as it is currently set up for 6 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. However, the cost of rehabbing the house and paying the property tax may not be worth it for the amount of rent you can get in Wilkinsburg.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Quote:
How is the 900 block of South Avenue in Wilkinsburg?
South Avenue is a part of the Franklin neighborhood in the borough. That section had two homicides (a robbery on South Ave & gang related one on Franklin Ave) and a countless number of shootings. To say the least, Franklin is one of the roughest parts of debatably the worst hood in the Greater Pittsburgh Area. Central Wilkinsburg is in the rock bottom status, and unlike Hamnett Place, Pebbles Square or Kelly West (all which are currently gentrifying, and are to the point that they've been of their former sketchiness for a while) in the forseeable future there's no sign of gentrification...

Quote:
If so, what would be the going rate for a 5-6 bedroom house?
BPR: LOW

Old 02-11-2013, 08:25 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
That was my exact thought. Turning it into a duplex would probably be pretty easy, as it is currently set up for 6 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. However, the cost of rehabbing the house and paying the property tax may not be worth it for the amount of rent you can get in Wilkinsburg.
I would make sure that you can turn it into a duplex before making any decisions, because that may not be an option in the borough anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
South Avenue is a part of the Franklin neighborhood in the borough. That section had two homicides (a robbery on South Ave & gang related one on Franklin Ave) and a countless number of shootings. To say the least, Franklin is one of the roughest parts of debatably the worst hood in the Greater Pittsburgh Area. Central Wilkinsburg is in the rock bottom status, and unlike Hamnett Place, Pebbles Square or Kelly West (all which are currently gentrifying, and are to the point that they've been of their former sketchiness for a while) in the forseeable future there's no sign of gentrification...

BPR: LOW
Only the Regent Square section of Wilkinsburg has seen any gentrification. Hamnett Place, Pebbles Square or Kelly West, have seen some improvement, but are not gentrifying.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
yeah, this is near where i live and it's not a great block. there's a cap to the rent you can get around there and you'd definitely do better splitting the place into apartments. that's what landlords do around here with places like that, pretty uniformly. i don't like to see it happening because usually (although not always), they do a really cheap, ugly job of it, but i understand why they do it. you'd never get $1500 a month for a house that size but you could easily turn it into 3 $500+ apartments.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM

55 posts, read 101,365 times
I currently live in Wilkinsburg, where I rent in an apartment complex. I'm fine with this arrangement for now, but would never consider buying a home here.

A huge drawback to owning property in Wilkinsburg are the taxes. The taxes are terrible. Buying a house assessed at $100,000 will cost you an extra $200/month in taxes if it is located in Wilkinsburg as opposed to the city proper. And and others can attest to, the quality of the services is such that you get practically no value for your money. You'd be better off buying more house somewhere else....unlike taxes, at least a mortgage payment eventually ends.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:09 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Quote:
Only the Regent Square section of Wilkinsburg has seen any gentrification. Hamnett Place, Pebbles Square or Kelly West, have seen some improvement, but are not gentrifying.
I feel you... What's your opinion on Greater Park Place not too get too off topic.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:23 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,578,094 times
You can rent a house out anywhere easily if it is priced accordingly

The question is: Will the tenants pay? Will they wreck the house? How much upkeep will there be? How much can you rent it for? Do the answers to these questions to these questions still make you want to buy it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh