U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM
 
310 posts, read 447,794 times
Reputation: 536

Advertisements

I grew up in the 1950s in Pittsburgh, and I can remember going to the corner store to buy beer for my aunt. Some people tell me that was impossible because this was illegal for a minor to do, but this happened. We did not go to a beer distributor, but to the corner store. There was also a beer garden across from the store. Please tell me I am not crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 AM
 
2,723 posts, read 4,319,512 times
Reputation: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
I grew up in the 1950s in Pittsburgh, and I can remember going to the corner store to buy beer for my aunt. Some people tell me that was impossible because this was illegal for a minor to do, but this happened. We did not go to a beer distributor, but to the corner store. Please tell me I am not crazy.
Not sure if it was like this in the 50s, but you can buy 6-packs at many corner stores that sell prepared foods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
21,308 posts, read 20,313,413 times
Reputation: 13467
It wouldn't surprise me that you could do that back then. It wasn't hard to get into bars when I was in High School and that was in the 80's and to get beer or whatever wasn't that hard. I would imagine it was even more laid back in the 50's. Also there was a 7/11 on Friendship Road in Friendship that had beer and that was only a decade or so ago, so yeah, you aren't crazy, I am sure there were other places. Times weren't so intense back then and lawyers weren't pushing everything around to make everyone paranoid. I am sure the 50's had to be great. The 80's were pretty great as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
 
6,361 posts, read 7,436,149 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
I grew up in the 1950s in Pittsburgh, and I can remember going to the corner store to buy beer for my aunt. Some people tell me that was impossible because this was illegal for a minor to do, but this happened. We did not go to a beer distributor, but to the corner store. There was also a beer garden across from the store. Please tell me I am not crazy.
Sounds very believable to me. A lot of my relatives have stories about going up to the store to buy cigarettes or alcohol for their parents. I think sometimes they had to take a note from their parent, but that was all. Would never happen today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
 
6,361 posts, read 7,436,149 times
Reputation: 4289
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It wouldn't surprise me that you could do that back then. It wasn't hard to get into bars when I was in High School and that was in the 80's and to get beer or whatever wasn't that hard. I would imagine it was even more laid back in the 50's. Also there was a 7/11 on Friendship Road in Friendship that had beer and that was only a decade or so ago, so yeah, you aren't crazy, I am sure there were other places. Times weren't so intense back then and lawyers weren't pushing everything around to make everyone paranoid. I am sure the 50's had to be great. The 80's were pretty great as well.
I haven't checked lately, but at least a year or two ago there was a convenience store (not a 7-11 though) at Friendship and Pacific that sold beer. They had a TV and an odd little counter built so they could have the license as a dining in establishment, but I'm sure that counter is seldom used.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM
 
1,164 posts, read 1,864,503 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I haven't checked lately, but at least a year or two ago there was a convenience store (not a 7-11 though) at Friendship and Pacific that sold beer. They had a TV and an odd little counter built so they could have the license as a dining in establishment, but I'm sure that counter is seldom used.
That's the one that used to be a 7/11. I always wondered how they got away with selling 6-packs. But then I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Malvern, PA that sold bottles of wine at the front desk. Couldn't figure that one out either...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh area
9,918 posts, read 21,878,458 times
Reputation: 5128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
That's the one that used to be a 7/11. I always wondered how they got away with selling 6-packs. But then I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Malvern, PA that sold bottles of wine at the front desk. Couldn't figure that one out either...
Yeah, we got a bottle of wine at the front desk as well at a Hilton Garden Inn. I guess they do have a bar of sorts in the evening, not sure, I think that is how they do it. A bar/restaurant can sell you a whole bottle of wine. You can drink a glass with your meal and have the rest corked to take home. Common most anywhere I guess but even allowed in PA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top