Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times

Advertisements

Beaver County municipalities of Fallston Borough and Patterson Township are considering a merger.

Pa. communities often turn to merger or consolidation to ease financial strains | TribLIVE

Quote:

A view of Fallston Borough in Beaver County on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013. Stephanie Strasburg | Tribune-Review

Two years ago, Fallston Borough in Beaver County spent nearly half its $108,000 budget to repair one road.

Officials in the municipality of 266 residents began talking about a merger with neighboring Patterson Township, which provided police protection for Fallston under a shared-services agreement. Officials in both communities thought a merger made good financial sense.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Strange bedfellows indeed, but not a bad idea.

Add: Reading the article, it doesn't sound like it's about to happen.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:05 AM

They should invite Patterson Heights to be part of their mega-municipality.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
They should invite Patterson Heights to be part of their mega-municipality.
I can tell you how THAT would go over! Although, the Beaver Valley Country Club used the fact that some of the golf course is in Fallston, not PH, to get a liquor license all those years ago!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
That's like Pitcairn merging with Monroeville, ain't gonna happen.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
If I was the governor of Pennsylvania, I'd require every municipal government to either provide their own police, fire, emergency response units and school districts. That'll cut the number of municipal governments in half.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If I was the governor of Pennsylvania, I'd require every municipal government to either provide their own police, fire, emergency response units and school districts. That'll cut the number of municipal governments in half.
It would cut them by at least 80%... which is where we should be.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
It would cut them by at least 80%... which is where we should be.

My wife graduated in Ohio with a senior class of 65. Ten percent of my senior class, bigger ain't always better. I went back to a reunion and met 5 people that I never knew in the 3 yrs of high school.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Well it's an extreme now with tiny, tiny municipalities. It's not efficient at all.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
What is your "or"? That these municipalities should disband or merge with another community?

I am all for intergovernmental cooperation. The schools have been consolidating for >50 years now. I'll give you a little history of Patterson Hts. schools.

When my parents bought their house in PH in 1956, the borough ran a two-room, grades 1-6 school. In years past, it had been a 1-8, but by that time, kids going into grade 7 had to choose where to go, and the borough would pay their tuition through high school. By 1961, the state, uh, "encouraged" consolidation, and Patt. Hts. merged with the newly formed Highland Suburban district, which had a jr. high, grades 7-9. The same situation existed at the end of grade 9, where to go to high school. Again, students of the district had a choice of any public school, and the district paid their tuition. Most went to Beaver Falls High School, and the dist. did provide transportation to BFHS for those who lived the required 2 miles away. Some did choose to go to Beaver, New Brighton, and the old Northwestern.

By the late 60s, BFHS was becoming overcrowded, they had had to build some additions, some classes were held in the jr. high across the street. Every few years, BF would threaten not to take any more tuition students. Their reasoning was that the tuition students were overcrowding the school (true), and they couldn't plan b/c they never knew how many tuition students they were going to have. This latter is probably untrue; they had decades of numbers of the percent of students from the outlying areas who chose to attend BFHS, but no matter.

Anyway, the state continued on with their encouragement of consolidation, and in 1970 the Blackhawk SC was formed and operating. This district was a merger between Highland Suburban and Northwestern Beaver County School districts which did have a high school. A new high school was build and named Blackhawk HS which I believe opened in 1971. (But don't quote me on that and I can't find anything on the web.)

New School Districts After State-Mandated Jointures

I do support the idea of every muni in the state being in a school district that provides education from grades K-12. However, this can be accomplished w/o requiring mergers of municipal government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh