Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM

12 posts, read 30,273 times

Advertisements

recently i posted on these forums about moving to new kennsington with my family but was told that it would not be a good decision. So i have decided not to move their. But now im back to ask about monessen, pa. Can anyone tell me about this area (how are the people, crime rate, nearby jobs ect.) I would appreciate any help and info i can get on this area. This is going to be my first home purchase and hopefully my last for some time. Thanks everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen87 View Post
recently i posted on these forums about moving to new kennsington with my family but was told that it would not be a good decision. So i have decided not to move their. But now im back to ask about monessen, pa. Can anyone tell me about this area (how are the people, crime rate, nearby jobs ect.) I would appreciate any help and info i can get on this area. This is going to be my first home purchase and hopefully my last for some time. Thanks everybody.
Honestly, I would probably move to New Kensington before I'd move to Monessen. Its even more so run down and getting worse at a rapid pace. New Ken could easily come back to life, especially if the commuter rail up the Allegheny actually happens. The whole Mon-valley is decaying and Monessen is at the heart of it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Not as dangerous as New Kensington. It's still an economically-depressed mill town with a failing school district however.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,853 times
Monesson has some pretty posh suburban neighborhoods on the hilltop.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM

how about the people in monessen? do they seem friendly? last thing i wanna do is move to an area where everyone seems like an ass

Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Monesson has some pretty posh suburban neighborhoods on the hilltop.
True, and if don't have kids and never plan on moving you can actually score a nice house are a bargain basement price. Unfortunately you'll be stuck there, unless you find another sucker to buy the place. The SD is the biggest problem and it makes it a wasteland in terms of real estate value. I think only Wilkinsburg and Duquesne school districts would rank lower in the region.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
how about the people in monessen? do they seem friendly? last thing i wanna do is move to an area where everyone seems like an ass
One of my professors at Cal U. had a nickname for people he thought were idiots. The nickname was "Monessen Joe". That was over 20 years ago, but I don't think the situation has improved.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM

the jobs wouldnt be a problem because we both work at home, so im not really too worried about that. so thats why im more interested in the crime rate and if the people are nice and what not. i rented this house in the town that im in now and my next door neighbors had a fit because we use to have pit bulls at the time. they tried to call cys and the town cops and everything else to try to get us to move out. so im trying not to make the same mistake because i would be buying instead of renting.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
the jobs wouldnt be a problem because we both work at home, so im not really too worried about that. so thats why im more interested in the crime rate and if the people are nice and what not. i rented this house in the town that im in now and my next door neighbors had a fit because we use to have pit bulls at the time. they tried to call cys and the town cops and everything else to try to get us to move out. so im trying not to make the same mistake because i would be buying instead of renting.
Do you have a specific house in mind? Is that the reason you are so set on Monessen? Charleroi is a much better town and not dramatically more expensive.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:14 PM

its a forclosed home and thats why we are looking at that area. a real estate agent said their are a ton of vacant houses in monessen. im guessing its becasue of the issue with being no jobs. but in our price range like i said the only other place that i know of where i can get a cheap house with only a little work that needs done to it is either monessen or new kennsington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh