Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

What Happens When Warren Buffett Buys Your Company - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:31 PM

I didn't know this:

Quote:
Not all of this is down to chance. Like Coco-Cola (also owned by Buffet) the recipe for ketchup varies according to each country’s palate — in the Philippines it contains banana.

http://www.newstatesman.com/business...story-yet-come

Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,605 times
I'll pretend to know a little about these things for a minute. I read that, concerning Warren Buffet, Heinz is something of an exception for him because the brand is so relatively strong - it has posted profits for a few consecutive years, and has a relatively low annual growth rate. So, all in all it's a sound company and worth holding on to, but considering the premium paid and significant brand establishment and growth prospects, will all parties be content to let business go on as usual (relatively speaking) without a shake up of some kind?

Remember that Buffet isn't the only investor. Of course Buffet isn't in the charity business either, so are we going to see a subsequent search for 'efficiency and synergy' that has local fallout? How many local hourly workers are at Heinz? Are they unionized and highly paid? Or will the focus be on expanding the brand presence rather than cutting costs? Both? Something else?

Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I think I'd like to try that ketchup with banana in it. Would it be incredibly great--or incredibly awful? Enquiring minds want to know!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
The Heinz ketchup with balsamic vinegar in it is pretty good.

On a side note, besides the business headquarters part, does Heinz even produce any of their products here?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
I'll pretend to know a little about these things for a minute. I read that, concerning Warren Buffet, Heinz is something of an exception for him because the brand is so relatively strong - it has posted profits for a few consecutive years, and has a relatively low annual growth rate. So, all in all it's a sound company and worth holding on to, but considering the premium paid and significant brand establishment and growth prospects, will all parties be content to let business go on as usual (relatively speaking) without a shake up of some kind?

Remember that Buffet isn't the only investor. Of course Buffet isn't in the charity business either, so are we going to see a subsequent search for 'efficiency and synergy' that has local fallout? How many local hourly workers are at Heinz? Are they unionized and highly paid? Or will the focus be on expanding the brand presence rather than cutting costs? Both? Something else?
Read the links I posted last night. One of the links describes how things will change for Heinz now that it's not public. The people who will be losing their jobs are the people whose jobs were associated with the stocks, not the hourly workers. The company will be focusing more on profit margins instead of sales. That's about it in a nutshell. I suspect that Heinz will be made public again when the stock market becomes more stable.

btw, Heinz is not an exception. Warren buys strong brands.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The Heinz ketchup with balsamic vinegar in it is pretty good.

On a side note, besides the business headquarters part, does Heinz even produce any of their products here?
I remember when Heinz bought HP Sauce and moved its production to the Netherlands. That didn't make the Brits very happy. Heinz also bought Lea & Perrins but that's still made in Britain, although the American version is made in New Jersey.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
I know years ago, some big shareholders of Heinz demanded the company be shaken up to increase its stock value. Up to that time people mainly bought Heinz if they wanted to be paid a good dividend.

Wonder if Buffet and 3G see Heinz as undervalued or poised for growth? Or just stable and a good place to park your money?

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 02-16-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Wonder if Buffet and 3G see Heinz as undervalued or poised for growth? Or just stable and a good place to park your money?
It's stable and poised for growth. It has become a global company that is only going to get bigger and bigger.

Some people made comments about the sale being done to help Kerry liquidate assets. Of course, that's silly. However, I have another theory: Buffet has had his eye on Heinz since the 80s. He has watched it grow into a global company. Now that Kerry is Secretary of State, it's an even wiser investment because Kerry/Theresa can have a strong global influence on behalf of Heinz. After everything Warren as done for the Democratic party, Kerry/Heinz will gladly help Warren with anything he needs for furthering the global growth of Heinz. I also think the global focus is a major reason why Warren chose 3G as a partner.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:42 PM

The CEO is going to make approximately 100 million from this sale.

Teresa Heinz not a big winner in Buffett deal - Feb. 14, 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh