U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM

106 posts, read 197,646 times

Advertisements

There goes another classic Pittsburgh company. Hopefully Buffet keeps the operation running here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,611,527 times
Default Berkshire Hathaway to Buy Heinz?

So far the only source I can find is CNBC, which has very little detail.

Berkshire Hathaway, 3G Buying Heinz for $72.50 a Share, or $28 Billion

According to CNBC, 3G will be the one running Heinz.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM

Here is the press release from Heinz:

H.J. Heinz Company Enters Into Agreement to Be Acquired by Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital | Heinz Online Newsroom

Quote:
Understanding the need to preserve Heinz’s values, heritage and community connections, Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital have pledged to maintain Pittsburgh as its global headquarters, and to fulfill and continue its philanthropic support of community initiatives and related investments.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 AM

5,895 posts, read 6,060,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Here is the press release from Heinz:standing the need to preserve Heinz’s values, heritage and community connections, Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital have pledged to maintain Pittsburgh as its global headquarters, and to fulfill and continue its philanthropic support of community initiatives and related investments.
I hope very much that this is true & only time will really tell. There's just been too many of the above type statements made that are boldface lies- kind of like coaches that announce their love for a team/city with no plans of leaving before bolting the next day to their next coaching job.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:40 AM

2,082 posts, read 4,433,208 times
The article on philly.com said Buffet was quoted as saying "the HG will remain in Pittsburgh."

Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM

106 posts, read 197,646 times
I trust Warren Buffet. But how many years does the guy really have left?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I hope very much that this is true & only time will really tell. There's just been too many of the above type statements made that are boldface lies- kind of like coaches that announce their love for a team/city with no plans of leaving before bolting the next day to their next coaching job.
Well, it's easier for a sports team to move than a large corporation. Keep in mind that though Alcoa technically has NYC headquarters, that only includes the top executives. The number of NYC employees is around 60, while 2,000 work at the operational headquarters in Pittsburgh. I'm sure the same will happen for Bayer and for Heinz if the top executives decide to work from Omaha or wherever. Actual operations will probably stay in Pittsburgh.

Point taken, though.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:56 AM

31,438 posts, read 70,417,828 times
I must say the thread title was a bit irresponsibly overexaggerated. I saw it and immediately thought that either:

1.) Heinz was moving out of Pittsburgh.
2.) Heinz was going out of business.

Agreeing to being purchased by another entity is a different story entirely. As baconlegs said Warren Buffet won't be around all that much longer. Will there really be a desire to move a successful corporate HQ in Pittsburgh to a place like Omaha after his death OR to a much more expensive area like NYC?

I'm more concerned about U.S. Steel's potential plans to leave Pittsburgh.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm more concerned about U.S. Steel's potential plans to leave Pittsburgh.
At least that threat is only to move to Moon Township or somewhere else in the area, not to an entirely different city. I see the whole campus concept to be outdated and due to die a slow death over several decades, hopefully. I personally dislike working in that sort of environment, separated as you are from the surrounding community.

Oh, in other news, US Airways and American Airlines announced a merger agreement. If approved, the US Airways name will go away.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,091,203 times
Well, maybe they won't move them, probably won't. But what about the people they sell them to, or the people they sell them to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh