Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Where ever Wilkinsburg goes, it will not be a good effect to the neighboring schools.
The obvious solution to that issue to spread the load and make things more equal with a single county-wide district. The resources are simply too varied by existing districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Perhaps the real estate market in Forest Hills, or any other part of Woodland Hills SD, is artificially retarded - I don't know.

But the proposition that the 1981 merger (ssshh!) is responsible seems preposterous to me: surely after a third of a century the market has priced that in?
I think it probably is priced in, and I think it'd be difficult to separate the effects of the merger from the effects of other things going on in the 1980s.

Fun fact: 2010 census data predicts that there are some 1000-ish high school aged individuals in Wilkinsburg. I think one of the recent parent-shaming quotes claim that they've lost some 300 to charter schools and cyber schools. So that's still some 500 unaccounted for, either dropped out, or going to Catholic school, or telling stories to government officials about where they actually live, or an estimation error. None of which negates anything you're saying, of course.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The obvious solution to that issue to spread the load and make things more equal with a single county-wide district. The resources are simply too varied by existing districts.
No thanks for obvious reasons. Bigger isn't always better. If they want to do that, I want the option to not pay school taxes while my child is in private school. Also some big county wide machine running things will no doubt end up corrupt and sucking money into some pockets somehow. I like the little districts with more control.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
I like the little districts with more control.
You mean where poor people can't afford the houses.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times
Quote:
Hey - you're not supposed to know that code!

Get me security.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Why is the anti-merger argument never turned upside down? It's always framed as "merging District X into District Y will negatively impact District Y" when in fact, although it may lower average standardized test scores for District Y, the merger may have a significantly positive impact for the kids of District X. And especially for people without any children on either side of the argument, one has to question the motives for prioritizing the kids of District Y over those of District X.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM
gg

Quote:
Let me clue you in on something. Sharpsburg is one of the poorest districts in the county and they can go to FC Schools just like the kids that live on Squaw Run East. You can live in the FC district and own your own home for under $50K. Heck, it is hard to do that in much of the city. There is no code, or anything like you dream up. Heck there are homes in O'Hara that are under $70K pretty often! Yep, FC School. You certainly don't have to be rich to go to the school district. I would say you need to be more wealthy to go to NA, USC, Mt. Lebo and several others because they don't have an area in their districts for the folks living in poverty to live.

Anyway, I think the city of Pittsburgh should suck up Wilkinsburg and maybe try and turn the place around. The location isn't bad and the potential is there. I used to feel Wilkinsburg was going to be a grass roots rebuild, but what kills that place is the school district and taxes. You can't have great growth with that situation.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Regarding Duquense school district, there is only one option: West Mifflin. There is no bridge connecting it with East Allegheny across the river, and it wouldn't make much sense to merge it with McKeesport Area either. Given West Mifflin isn't that great of a district either, I think it's hard to argue allowing the K-8 students at Duquense to go there would make it appreciably worse.

I've argued for awhile that if Wilkinsburg went into PPS, the logical breakdown would be along the busway, with the portions west going to Allderdice, and east going to Westinghouse. An Allderdice feeder would really help already redeveloping segments of Wilkensburg fully take on the "East End" vibe, and help Wilkinsburg's general finances quite a good deal (much lower taxes would help too of course). And while Westinghouse isn't a good school, it's no worse than Wilkinsburg, and at least doesn't have dire financial troubles facing it every single year. Plus the magnet system would be an option for all of Wilkinsburg as well. Seems like a win-win to me.

Edit: Regarding Woodland Hills, my impression is the school district has only gotten really rough within the last decade - that the district pretty much worked as it was intended by court order through the 1990s at least. I know people who had their kids go through it during that period anyway, and they had no major complaints.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:21 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Why is the anti-merger argument never turned upside down? It's always framed as "merging District X into District Y will negatively impact District Y" when in fact, although it may lower average standardized test scores for District Y, the merger may have a significantly positive impact for the kids of District X. And especially for people without any children on either side of the argument, one has to question the motives for prioritizing the kids of District Y over those of District X.
You can't due to the majority of one district being a minority. That would come off as being prejudicial. Imagine if Edgewood said, hey we are done with this crap and we are going back to the way it was. The outcome would be Edgewood homes would skyrocket overnight and on the flip side... well I will leave that vision up to those that want to imagine it.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,070 times
Quote:
You can't due to the majority of one district being a minority. That would come off as being prejudicial. Imagine if Edgewood said, hey we are done with this crap and we are going back to the way it was. The outcome would be Edgewood homes would skyrocket overnight and on the flip side... well I will leave that vision up to those that want to imagine it.
I think you entirely missed the point of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh