Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

This is interesting. From NPR regarding redrawing the United States with 50 states with equal representation:
A Crazy But Rational Solution To Our Electoral College Problem : Krulwich Wonders... : NPR

Pittsburgh would become a capital city of Allegheny state. Looks like you'd get most of West Virginia and quite a bit more of Lake Erie coastline. Looks like you'd also get panhandle Maryland, such as Cumberland as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm not liking it. "Allegheny" would always vote republican when Pennsylvania is a swing state.

There's nothing wrong with our current system of adding representatives to represent population.

The republicans are going to have to accept the fact there are more democrats in the country.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
This is only a good idea if representation in the Congress and electoral college is the only reason for the existance of "states". But right now, Ohio and New York have different laws in many respects to we in Pennsylvania.

Perhaps if the Feds take over or exercises control over a lot more state/local functions, it won't matter what state you're in and this "one man one vote" situation will be the only concern.

But that isn't the case just yet.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Well, I never felt that East and West PA belonged together. Philly might as well be in another state as I never felt any connection to it at all (and the rest of Eastern PA for that matter). You really could cut PA in half and Pittsburgh's influence does extend westward and southward across the borders and down the Ohio River. My impression is that State College is more in Pittsburgh's influence than Philly. They both share that connection to the mountains. And being a state capital would raise Pittsburgh importance. Harrisburg is way more important than it should be.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Well, I never felt that East and West PA belonged together. Philly might as well be in another state as I never felt any connection to it at all (and the rest of Eastern PA for that matter). You really could cut PA in half and Pittsburgh's influence does extend westward and southward.
While I agree we should split Pennsylvania, I don't think West Virginia and western upstate New York are appropriate regions to group with Pittsburgh. Westward is Ohio and that's not going to work. Why western PA simply be its own state? It would still be bigger than most of the New England states.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:42 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Well, I never felt that East and West PA belonged together. Philly might as well be in another state as I never felt any connection to it at all (and the rest of Eastern PA for that matter). You really could cut PA in half and Pittsburgh's influence does extend westward and southward across the borders and down the Ohio River. My impression is that State College is more in Pittsburgh's influence than Philly. They both share that connection to the mountains. And being a state capital would raise Pittsburgh importance. Harrisburg is way more important than it should be.
the idea behind the map is silly. create states of equal representation? why? when people move do we change the states? why do you need to feel a connection to other parts of the state? do you feel a connection to scranton? do you feel a connection to charleston wv? i suspect this is more about a strange hatred of philly. it might make sense to throw dc to philly and up through harrisburg/york and north jersey into one state with south jersey rolled into the eastern shore and Delaware while pittsburgh gets scranton to southern oh but arent there actual problems that cam be addressed and are relevant to day to day life to address? arent all state capitals more important than theu would otherwise be? i suspect that pittsburgh is fairly well represented at the state level (current governor) so its not like philadelphia dominates the state legislature to the detriment of pittsburgh. last governor was from philly (first in 50 years) and ridge was from erie.

Last edited by pman; 02-17-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Westward is Ohio and that's not going to work..

I grew up in Eastern Ohio, and we definitely related more with Pittsburgh than Columbus or Cleveland.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:14 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,787 times
I think the idea of governing among areas more culturally similar interesting; western PA has more in common with eastern Ohio than eastern PA in many respects, and our needs seem to conflict a bit in Harrisburg.

For fixing problems of federal representation, I think a better idea would be that oulined by FairVote (and discussed in this article), where - if I am understanding it correctly - house district boundaries wouldn't change every 10 years (prone to gerrymandering), but each larger district would have multiple at-large reps, at a number proportional to that district's population (adjustable over time). So a large district that is 30% liberal and 70% conservative with 10 allotted reps should theoretically elect 3 liberals and 7 conservatives.

That, and just making the popular vote what really counts for electing the president on a national scale, getting rid of the whole Electoral College thing altogether. In any case, all states, I think, should have the same procedures. Or something.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the idea behind the map is silly. create states of equal representation? why? when people move do we change the states? why do you need to feel a connection to other parts of the state?
It would be preferable.Somehow Texas has managed to have a sense of being...Texas. Not so in PA. East and West are so different. It would be interesting to re-divide up the US into states that somehow feel connected.

Quote:
do you feel a connection to scranton?
Absolutely not.

Quote:
do you feel a connection to charleston wv?
River city connects to the Ohio R...Allegheny mountains...yes...although Morgantown is better.

Quote:
i suspect this is more about a strange hatred of philly.
I wouldn't miss Philly one bit. What's to miss?

Quote:
it might make sense to throw dc to philly and up through harrisburg/york and north jersey into one state with south jersey rolled into the eastern shore and Delaware
Maybe although DC and Baltimore would be its own area.

Quote:
while pittsburgh gets scranton to southern oh but arent there actual problems that cam be addressed and are relevant to day to day life to address?
No, you guys can keep Scranton. Although, maybe they are somewhat tied to the NYC area. NYC's influence is extending into northeastern PA. Northwestern PA is sort of a tug between Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Quote:
arent all state capitals more important than theu would otherwise be?
Adds more, like with Atlanta.

Quote:
i suspect that pittsburgh is fairly well represented at the state level (current governor) so its not like philadelphia dominates the state legislature to the detriment of pittsburgh. last governor was from philly (first in 50 years) and ridge was from erie.
Pittsburgh and West PA...freedom now!

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 02-17-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
While I agree we should split Pennsylvania, I don't think West Virginia and western upstate New York are appropriate regions to group with Pittsburgh. Westward is Ohio and that's not going to work. Why western PA simply be its own state? It would still be bigger than most of the New England states.
Sure, the Mon extends south into West Virginia and the Allegheny goes up north into southern New York state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh