Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

I loved my mechanic. I truly did. He always stuck with his quotes, never charged me extra.

I had been having problems on my left front side for a while. I can't remember all of the details over the past years, but I recall I could hear something on the left front side and my steering wheel would shake at high speeds or when I put on the breaks. It kept passing inspection via different shops even though I kept complaining about it.

At the end of the summer, I had new front struts put on my car by this mechanic I trust. When I picked it up, it drove smoother but the steering wheel felt tight and it squeaked. Within a few days, there was a brief clanking sound, like a bolt fell off. I took it back to the mechanic, he replaced the strut on the left side for free. It was under warranty.

Yesterday, my right front tire got a nail in it. I took it to Sears to get two new front tires. The Sears mechanic told me that the left front tire was worn down because my lower ball bearing was the wrong size. He could tell that the work was new. Since it's under warranty, he recommended I take it back to where the work was done.

BUT I'm furious. I asked the Sears mechanic how this could happen. He said that the other mechanics either didn't know what they were doing or they knowingly put the wrong size on my car. Well, both scenarios are unacceptable to me. Even though it's under warranty, I'm not thrilled about taking my car back there. They've had it twice and never truly fixed this problem.

It's under $200 to have it fixed at Sears. I'm tempted to just have the work done there. After all, the Sears mechanic found the problem I've been complaining about to so many people over the years without me even complaining to him about it. I just don't like the idea of making Sears my regular mechanic.

Even though this post is a vent, I'm mostly wondering if anyone has a great mechanic they can recommend. I can't tell you how many times I almost bought a new car over this. All I need is a good mechanic. I'll drive anywhere for a good mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
How do you know the sears mechanic is correct?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
How do you know the sears mechanic is correct?
Because I have still been having problems with my left front end. And, the mechanic showed us the left front tire. It was all mangled up. My tires were new, put on when the other work was done less than 6 months ago. It shouldn't have been screwed up like that. The right front tire, the one that got the nail, wasn't mangled like the left tire.

I will call my mechanic on Monday. He is honest. If they screwed up, he'll admit it. I just don't understand how his shop could have my car twice for the same problem and miss this both times.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Lower ball bearing would really be a LOWER BALL JOINT. Shaking while putting on the brakes would be a warped rotor. I would stay away from Sears.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM

129 posts, read 160,854 times
I've been taking our cars to this shop for the past six years through my colleague's referral, and I love them.
Their price may not be cheapest, but they are straight shooters.

One time I complained to them about a weird noise coming from my previous old VW Passat.
They basically said they could fix it but didn't recommend it, because it came w/ the age of the car, and I would just be wasting my money.
I've never had any mechanic turning money away like that.

I used to live farther away from their shop, but was willing to drive the distance just to have someone I could trust work on my cars.

Stebler Auto
1236 Mars Evans City Rd
Mars, PA 16046

Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Because I have still been having problems with my left front end. And, the mechanic showed us the left front tire. It was all mangled up. My tires were new, put on when the other work was done less than 6 months ago. It shouldn't have been screwed up like that. The right front tire, the one that got the nail, wasn't mangled like the left tire.

I will call my mechanic on Monday. He is honest. If they screwed up, he'll admit it. I just don't understand how his shop could have my car twice for the same problem and miss this both times.
Could be some other issue that's manifested itself. Not saying that your mechanic didn't screw up, but I wouldn't assume a sears mechanic knows a bearing from a bushing

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Lower ball bearing would really be a LOWER BALL JOINT.
The Sears mechanic says that the ball inside the lower ball joint is the wrong size.

Quote:
Shaking while putting on the brakes would be a warped rotor.
I had the rotor replaced when I had the new struts installed. I've read today that worn out ball bearing joints can cause the shaking too. I didn't just have shaking when putting on breaks. I also had shaking at high speeds too. And it has been shaking again, not to the extreme it was in the past, but the problem was clearly not resolved.

Quote:
I would stay away from Sears.
That's my instinct; however, he wasn't trying to get my business. He recommended I take it back to where the work was done.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
I also have a bad Sears auto story I wouldn't be so quick to throw away your current mechanic. Noone is perfect and cars are getting harder and harder to work on. Which is why used cars are more of a pain than they were back in the day. My car was overheating and no coolant leak or anything could be spotted. They said I had a crack somewhere in my head, not a cheap fix, and it was beyond the scope of work that they do there.

I took it to a backyard mechanic and all I needed was a new thermostat.

Shaking at high speeds can be a lot of things including warped tires in general, not just warped rotors. This can be caused just by not rotating enough but also it can be caused by a worn out suspension system which does wierd things to tires. Even ones that are not very old.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooky01 View Post
I've been taking our cars to this shop for the past six years through my colleague's referral, and I love them.
Their price may not be cheapest, but they are straight shooters.

One time I complained to them about a weird noise coming from my previous old VW Passat.
They basically said they could fix it but didn't recommend it, because it came w/ the age of the car, and I would just be wasting my money.
I've never had any mechanic turning money away like that.

I used to live farther away from their shop, but was willing to drive the distance just to have someone I could trust work on my cars.

Stebler Auto
1236 Mars Evans City Rd
Mars, PA 16046
Thanks for the recommendation. Mars is more convenient for us than where I have been going. I've been driving into the eastern suburbs for this mechanic. I'll definitely give your recommendation a try. Hubby might even know them because he grew up in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Could be some other issue that's manifested itself. Not saying that your mechanic didn't screw up, but I wouldn't assume a sears mechanic knows a bearing from a bushing
Understood. I'm calling my mechanic tomorrow. I'm so tempted to go car shopping. I'm sick of this.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I also have a bad Sears auto story I wouldn't be so quick to throw away your current mechanic.
I know. I'm going to call him. I'm just upset. I'm glad they were closed yesterday. I have time to calm down before calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Shaking at high speeds can be a lot of things including warped tires in general, not just warped rotors. This can be caused just by not rotating enough but also it can be caused by a worn out suspension system which does wierd things to tires. Even ones that are not very old.
If it needs a new suspension, I practically have a new front end. I keep fixing this car because it has a new transmission in it.

At some point, I need to cut my losses, but I love this car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh