U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:07 AM

43,012 posts, read 98,440,203 times

Advertisements

Hilltop neighborhoods shape green strategy - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM

4,659 posts, read 7,970,816 times
Carrick really is an underrated neighborhood, and Allentown has some potential.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:59 AM

11,087 posts, read 7,570,560 times
Quote:
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development owns the two largest patches of vacant land -- the former public housing sites of Arlington Heights and St. Clair. When Arlington Heights was razed, a flat meadow of almost 84 unshaded acres with extraordinary views resulted.

The report recommends its reuse for large-scale agriculture and solar power generation.
The stupid.....

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,922,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The stupid.....
Not sure how to interpret this post. Please complete your thought.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM

31,441 posts, read 70,536,316 times
I tend to agree that replacing vacant land in the Hilltop neighborhoods with large-scale commercial farms is specious, at best. With the affordable housing crunch facing nearly the entirety of the East End, South Side, and increasingly the Lower North Side it's only a matter of time before people migrating into the city start discovering the Hiltop neighborhoods as affordable alternatives. I wouldn't want to see prime real estate in the Hilltop repurposed for cows and lettuce when people will need more places to live in the city proper in the coming years if we continue to remain a "hot" city like Portland and Austin.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,922,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I tend to agree that replacing vacant land in the Hilltop neighborhoods with large-scale commercial farms is specious, at best. With the affordable housing crunch facing nearly the entirety of the East End, South Side, and increasingly the Lower North Side it's only a matter of time before people migrating into the city start discovering the Hiltop neighborhoods as affordable alternatives. I wouldn't want to see prime real estate in the Hilltop repurposed for cows and lettuce when people will need more places to live in the city proper in the coming years if we continue to remain a "hot" city like Portland and Austin.
I'm almost starting to feel as if you believe there is some sort of shortage of housing, or drastic increase in rent, in the East End.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM

31,441 posts, read 70,536,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I'm almost starting to feel as if you believe there is some sort of shortage of housing, or drastic increase in rent, in the East End.
Is sarcasm the best you can do at a reply?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 AM

4,207 posts, read 5,716,272 times
There is not enough space there for any commercial farming. Not even close. Leave it as green space, no need to develop.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM

2,236 posts, read 3,531,266 times
Quote:
HUD just needs to sell the property. Public entities are notoriously poor "developers". If its not going to become a public space or public utility easement, get rid of it.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 AM

7,603 posts, read 10,682,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Quote:
Is sarcasm the best you can do at a reply?
This isn't sarcasm, but I do think you've been getting over-the-top with this housing crunch stuff. Rents and property values are certainly up from what they once were, but it's been more a steady creep than a drastic spike for the most part. Also, Pittsburgh is still an incredibly affordable city relative to what it offers. It's COL-QOL ratio is simply moving on from "steal territory" to "bargain land."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh