Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times

Advertisements

I don't expect everyone to love Pittsburgh. I don't like Phoenix, yet it's a very popular place to live. What amazed me about the author is that she is moving here to retire and did so little research about it beforehand. She has "advanced degrees" after all. You'd think research would be the first thing she would do. Maybe seeing 50+ houses with her realtor is her research? She either has to move to a suburb with newer homes in a flatter area, learn to love the geography of the city, or go back to Philly (or elsewhere). One of the commenters to the article pointed out that she would be well served not to look in areas with the word "hills" in their name, as in the "North Hills" or the "South Hills."

I learned a lot about this place before I made my decision to buy. I wanted an older home. I loved the geography. It would be like me writing an article about Phoenix and complaining that I can't find a 100 year old house on a hill and that the weather is too darn hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,623 times
IMO...too many people expect Pittsburgh to be the same as their own town. Too much of America is now homogenized, and when people move here they expect a certain sameness and familiarity. Pittsburgh isn't. And I'm proud of that.

The private backyard comment cracked me up tho. I grew up in an era when tall fences separating backyards were called spite fences. They were usually a minor neighborhood scandal. Now, if you put in a few years of growing tall hedges, that was the sneaky way around it.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
I just couldn't get past someone moving to one of the hilliest cities in America and saying, "I don't like all these hills." That's like moving to London and saying, "I can't stand the rain." Or to Tucson and saying, "I hate cacti" or "I want a lush, grassy yard."

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
I think finding what you want out of a house in Pittsburgh is a tough search...if you want to stay in the city limits like I did. If you don't mind expanding to the suburbs...I don't think it should be a hard search. North Hills, Cranberry...if you don't mind those areas, then the house search shouldn't be that difficult. I have to wonder what areas the person in the article has considered?

I do agree with her on one thing--getting around here is a major PITA half the time!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
In all my real estate years, I have never showed 50 homes to anyone. That is a lot of homes. Most people have perimeters that narrow searches down a lot.
You're an agent? For some reason I thought you worked/owned a company that flips houses? Not that those are mutually exclusive.

I probably looked at nearly 50 homes. I was only being picky with price though. I was outbid on 4 homes that I had offers on, backed out of one after the inspection, and had 2 or 3 other ones that I would have made an offer one but a "cash, no inspection, above asking price" deal was struck in less than 24 hours, before I even had time to sleep on the decision.

My only requirements were to be in the city, in at least a semi-walkable area, and under $80K unless it was a multi-unit. Had no concrete rules about number of bedrooms, off street parking, yards, garages, etc. So A LOT of homes qualified for me to take a look.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Speaking of which, have you been to Primanti's yet, Julie? If not, make sure you go to the one in the Strip District late at night.
I went there during the day in 2006. I'll have to do a late night visit this time around. By "late night" what time do you mean?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
IMO...too many people expect Pittsburgh to be the same as their own town. Too much of America is now homogenized, and when people move here they expect a certain sameness and familiarity. Pittsburgh isn't. And I'm proud of that.
People are that way everywhere. People complain about the cold foggy summers in SF. They think the entire state is beaches, surfing and sunshine. I can understand complaining if you move somewhere because you have to, for a job or school, but when you choose a place it would seem logical to learn about what it's like before you move.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL I totally get what track was saying, but I also agree that 50 homes is way too many to see in one day (unless you're in that sort of situation, as track was).
No we looked at about 50 houses in about a month and offered on 3-4 homes before had an accepted offer with the right house. So we were serious buyers, but looked at a significant amount of inventory. Prior to buying a house we did our research, but once we started actually getting in the houses and taking a look it was a harder decision. Now that we are seasoned homebuyers/owners we would probably look at less houses, but as someone who has moved to several areas and bought in some of them, it can be tough when you move to a new, unfamiliar place to pull the trigger and buy a house. With that being said the lady in the aforementioned article is still a complainer.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I went there during the day in 2006. I'll have to do a late night visit this time around. By "late night" what time do you mean?
Late night for Primanti's would be 1:30 to 3:30 when the place is lively with people coming back from the bars.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Juliegt, have you been subjected to the magic that is Rick Sebak's Pittsburgh documentaries on PBS/WQED? He has a really old one called Strip Show which features, as you might imagine, the Strip District. It's worth a watch if you like slightly over-the-top local color, and I think they had some footage of late-night Primantis action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh