Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
That was me that posted the link to the FB Crafton page.

There was a doc on the Historical Soc site that I could see what the occupation was for the occupant of my home back in the early 1900's. I saw Telegraph Operator. Not sure where I saw this one for sure.

Here is an online book "The Story of Crafton, 1740 - 1992"

Historic Pittsburgh General Text Collection
Thanks! I'm reading the book now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:10 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Way to go Julie. It is so nice to hear from you. I'm happy that you are happy.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM

I updated my blog yesterday. It will bring you up to speed on my adventures. Pittsburgh is Awesome: Afghan & Remodeling Progress

Today's Update: My neighbor from across the street, who I met while walking the other day, stopped by to tell me that she'd like to go walking with me. I had detected a Spanish accent and asked her (in Spanish) where she was from. The Cadiz (sp?) area of Spain. Still speaking Spanish I told her that I hadn't met very many Spanish speakers here and that I would love to practice with her on a walk. She was very happy about it and I am stoked. She also told me that her daughter still hasn't had the baby that was due a few days ago. They may have to induce.

My Spanish skills are minimal, but I know that if I don't speak I'll lose what little I have. Having a native speaker for a neighbor is so cool. I also found a Spanish speakers meet-up group that I'd like to attend. It looks like the members have various levels of fluency. More to like about my new city and my new 'hood.

Mexican Restaurant Update: I tried a nearby Mexican restaurant recently and the food was ok. Not terrible, but not authentic. The food was kind of bland. Can't remember the name of the place. I'm not exactly dissing it, I just wouldn't make an effort to go back. Although I didn't try the tacos which I hear are good. I have my doubts. My search continues.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
Are you referring to Mendoza's, the little shack on Noblestown Rd.?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlstreet View Post
Are you referring to Mendoza's, the little shack on Noblestown Rd.?
I believe that's the one. What do you think of it? Should I bother with the tacos or something else on the menu?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:24 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I updated my blog yesterday. It will bring you up to speed on my adventures. Pittsburgh is Awesome: Afghan & Remodeling Progress

Today's Update: My neighbor from across the street, who I met while walking the other day, stopped by to tell me that she'd like to go walking with me. I had detected a Spanish accent and asked her (in Spanish) where she was from. The Cadiz (sp?) area of Spain. Still speaking Spanish I told her that I hadn't met very many Spanish speakers here and that I would love to practice with her on a walk. She was very happy about it and I am stoked. She also told me that her daughter still hasn't had the baby that was due a few days ago. They may have to induce.

My Spanish skills are minimal, but I know that if I don't speak I'll lose what little I have. Having a native speaker for a neighbor is so cool. I also found a Spanish speakers meet-up group that I'd like to attend. It looks like the members have various levels of fluency. More to like about my new city and my new 'hood.

Mexican Restaurant Update: I tried a nearby Mexican restaurant recently and the food was ok. Not terrible, but not authentic. The food was kind of bland. Can't remember the name of the place. I'm not exactly dissing it, I just wouldn't make an effort to go back. Although I didn't try the tacos which I hear are good. I have my doubts. My search continues.

Just curious, what would be the Spanish equivalent for "yinz"?

Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
El Yinzo?

Old 03-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
No idea, I'll defer to more fluent speakers.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
El Yinzo?
I knew someone on this forum would have the answer.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
El Kabong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh