Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Mossman,

I hope your closing went smoothly, and that you've gotten settled into your new home. Please keep us updated.

I wouldn't call the people living in the part of Wilkinsburg "urban pioneers", as that area has remained pretty safe, and somewhat stable.
I did not use the term "urban pioneer" to connote instability and/or crime-infestion. I may be wrong in my interpretation of the term's meaning, but I would view Wilkinsburg as a more urban area than either Butler (where the OP formerly resided), or McCandless (where I reside). I commend the Mossman for choosing the challenges of relocating to a more urban area than "staying the course" of the most predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 06:51 PM

59 posts, read 54,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Mossman,

Yours was one of the most interesting threads appearing on the Pittsburgh C-D in quite some time. Although we, as posters, may not have totally agreed with each other, we all seemed to share a common outlook.... we are cheering for your success. With your final sales price being posted ($363030) and your taxes approximated ($5839), the numbers are "finally in". Are you comfortable with these numbers? Is your neighborhood and home all you expected it to be? Is it too early, or are you concerned about the future prospects of your home at 613 Whitney? What are the best parts of living in your new home, as well as, the early lowlights? If the real estate assessment follows the intended pattern anticipated by the courts, your real estate taxes next year will approximate $18000- will this encourage, or dissuade, you from telling people to follow your path as an "urban pioneer" ? Updates are always appreciated (and may the best of luck follow you in your endeavours) !!

Sorry for the slow response. Been busy with unpacking, rearranging, improving, etc. etc. Have already repainted the dining room (wife didn't like the color), doing most landscaping ourselves. Pulled all the ivy out of the backyard and ended up with.....you guessed it.....poison ivy. Recovering with my friend Prednisone. Getting some topsoil and grass seed down in the backyard soon.

Final sales price was fine with us. Might be more than most people would have spent but considerably less than what we were originally going to spend. Even with the possibility of the future tax bill being a total rip off, it is going to end up being cheaper than what we had originally planned.

Love the neighborhood, met the Mayor and the Police Chief twice at neighborhood get togethers. Heard many a story surrounding our new house (some true, some not so true).

613 Whitney is going to be on the Wilkingsburg Home tour in a few weeks. We were asked by many people to include our house in the tour as many people were intrigued to see what the old abandoned house looked like now. We have been trying to get things organized, furniture purchased and packing goods put away so we can have a few hundred people come for a visit on Sept. 28.

Don't regret our purchase one single iota. Could we have spent less ? Sure could have. Could we have spent more ? Easily. Are the taxes going to be a pain ? Yes they are, and I have NO children that will attend any schools here.

So if you'd like to come by on Sept. 28 for a visit, purchase a ticket from the WCDC site (there is another thread on the subject). My wife and I and many volunteers will be here, a couple of our neighborhood houses are also on the tour, some churches and a few gardens. Should be an experience.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
i wish i was in town for this! i've always wished there was a wilkinsburg house tour. there are so many amazing fixed-up places there.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:41 PM

995 posts, read 1,114,921 times
I've been following and lurking on this thread since you originally posted earlier this year, debating on whether to purchase the house or not.

Well, based on today's article in the PG: Couple decided to gamble on Wilkinsburg home and paint shades, too - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I have to say, it's totally gorgeous and I'm green with envy.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:58 PM

141 posts, read 339,412 times
WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful renovation!!!!! I wish I could have been in town for the home tour to see it in person. Congratulations on your new, beautiful home! Your renovation will serve as an inspiration for many people to give Wilkinsburg a second look. Thank you for restoring one of the finest homes Wilkinsburg has to offer!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 AM

59 posts, read 54,902 times
Home tour was a success.

I believe they sold around 400 tickets.

Many people walking through my house. Had a great time meeting people, discussing the neighborhood, and talking about our new house. Thanks to all that participated. Now I can relax a little. Got to get the grass in the backyard growing !

Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
It's beautiful. The colors are lovely. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh